Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Hot water heater replacement

Not exactly a DIY, but looking for input.

Oil fired hot water heater let go yesterday. Fortunately I was home. Couldn't get warm water while washing hands, so a trip to the basement revealed a recent leak and the resultant stream forming across the shop... I shut off the supply line, hooked up a hose to drain the 50 gallon tank, and got out the surface pump. some wet vac work and set up the surface drying blower. No damage, just a pain. Tank is still dripping into a bucket today.
So... anyone replace an oil fired heater with the same recently? This one was 12 years old. No gas in the street. Plan is to replace with the same, while hoping the burner, or gun,, is still good. Figuring it is going to run about $2000. Also hoping that twelve years has resulted in improved efficiency. Input on tankless appreciated before I decide whether to go with oil fired again.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Ross,
My Dad heats hot water with oil and there haven't been any significant improvements in technology. He writes the date of the install on the heater and replaces it at his convenience shortly before the warranty expires because they always go within months of hitting the warranty. I know a guy that uses propane tankless and gets quite a while (more han 6 months) out of a 40 pound tank.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
Raven

recently switched back over to electric

I no longer wait for hot water and it lasts

seemed like with oil heated water you had to catch it
just right to get a good hot shower
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
rphud
GrandBob

For $2k, only you and Dani in the house and the kitchen project, you might want to go with propane and an on demand hot water unit. Propane units can be very high efficiency and Dani can get a nice gas stove to do her magic with.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Umm yeah, that kitchen project..... She is selling the electric slide in stove/oven with the fridge to a neighbor, as she has found something new, as in another stove with built in down draft. I don't know what's going on with the fridge. Or what this will add to the cost. I've been told I need to start before the boat goes in.

As for the water heater; needed to get it done in time for her to have a hot shower before she left for the week on Tuesday at 0430.... So picked up 50 gallon tank and new burner at 0800 on Monday. Old burner was beat looking so wasn't putting that in a $1300 tank. Total for tank and burner with tax was $1805. Buddy put it in. I picked up, delivered into basement, and got rid of old one. New tank is much bigger, both width and height, for same capacity. Was told it was 2015 regs that increased insulation and tank, which should increase efficiency. We'll see. I need to turn up the temp a bit as I like an almost scalding hot shower.

If it weren't for being an emergency replacement, and not having gas in the street, I would have liked to been able to consider the on demand system vs a tank system.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Guppy
User

Asked my son about the power vented propane tank that let go recently....

"It was a direct fired tank. Never ran out of hot water. But the direct fired tank was $800 vs $300 for electric. And electricity is less expensive than propane (based on data I found on the EPA website. "

I wouldn't of thought electric would cost less to run,,, I hate the electrical bill.... 😬

How's this, a guy who worked for my excavator, his cat knocked something over in the basement, it broke off the fitting at the oil line, 100 something gallon spills out, has mat and building dept. condemned the house, insurance paid to knock it down, clean up the ground under the house and build a knew one!

I'll shut up now 😀
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
rphud
GrandBob

She can grab a hot shower at one of the truck stops on 84 on her way down, and I would love to see her face when you tell her that.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
redlite

Spent most of my day dealing with flooded basement at wife's grandmother's house. Figured out was comin from POS hot water heater. Manufacture date is 7/09. WTF. Less than 6 yrs out of a GE water heater. Man they dont make stuff like they used to. Crazy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #9
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I hate the electrical bill.... 😬

How's this, a guy who worked for my excavator, his cat knocked something over in the basement, it broke off the fitting at the oil line, 100 something gallon spills out, has mat and building dept. condemned the house, insurance paid to knock it down, clean up the ground under the house and build a knew one!

I'll shut up now 😀
really? that would be awesome...heh heh

think of it....the cat was chasing a mouse....he was doing his JOB

i say it's the mouses fault i hate mice....!

FLOAT a plastic lid w/ sf seeds on top of 5 inches of water in a bucket
don't forget the ramp - board to the bucket's edge ....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
redlite

So truns out it was a 9 yr tank that went after only 6 yrs. No one knew who put it in ( no plumber co sticker on it) and no one could find paper work for it. so I was able to spend a day gettin transferred around GE customer service and they were able to at least determine it was bought at Home Depot and they were able to create a return ticket for me there. Of course it was gonna be pro rated.
Got tank out and it was nasty bad rusted gooped up sludge came out. Well water can suck.
Dragged it to the depot and got lucky. A meat popsicle was workin returns and couldnt figure anything out so she give me a $400 home depoop card and told me to go get a new one. I think she did the pro rated thing wrong cause new it was $500.
So new hot water heater only cost $185 and a lot of aggravation for me
Of course as it is a new one, none of water or gas lines matched up so that was fun plumbin.
Back in business
But this is only a 5 yr tank so im sure ill be back here in 2 yrs
Old 04-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Good for u Mike, can't say no to grandmothers, never mind what the wife would do to ya!

Good one Craig
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #12
redlite

Well based upon dealin with my wife s gmms hot water heater it seems i opened pandoras box with mine
When i drained her tank i was horrified at the rusty water and sludge that came out of hers, so thinkin i would take some preventive steps to prolong life of mine (6yr tank that is 10 yrs old) i figured id drain and flush my gas fired hot water heater. Esp after previous discussion here about drainin em
So i followed steps and now my pressure releif valve drips. Not a tough fix but should have just left it alone. Was actaully surprisingly clean for well water.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
So truns out it was a 9 yr tank that went after only 6 yrs. No one knew who put it in ( no plumber co sticker on it) and no one could find paper work for it. so I was able to spend a day gettin transferred around GE customer service and they were able to at least determine it was bought at Home Depot and they were able to create a return ticket for me there. Of course it was gonna be pro rated.
Got tank out and it was nasty bad rusted gooped up sludge came out. Well water can suck.
Dragged it to the depot and got lucky. A meat popsicle was workin returns and couldnt figure anything out so she give me a $400 home depoop card and told me to go get a new one. I think she did the pro rated thing wrong cause new it was $500.
So new hot water heater only cost $185 and a lot of aggravation for me
Of course as it is a new one, none of water or gas lines matched up so that was fun plumbin.
Back in business
But this is only a 5 yr tank so im sure ill be back here in 2 yrs
On most units the serial number will divulge birth date and where it was manufactured warranty ect...

Normally you don't have to bring the whole unit back we just snip the mfg sticker off with snips and bring that back.

Glad you were able to get it done.

You can de scale your hot water tank it will help prolong it's life and will also help it's efficiency.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote