Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, I'm lying about my mother...sweet jesus.

The point is you said "name one" and I did...just be a man and admit when you're wrong.

-spence
I asked you to "name one" and you named your mother and then later admitted that she does, in fact, have an ID...how does that make me wrong?...I'd say you were lying about your mother or at least using her in yet another of your distortions...doesn't seem very "manly"...she should spank you

none of this supports your contention that there are those out there for whom providing an ID when voting would somehow be a burden or a "hardship" ..she has an ID, however recent or not and has always voted according to you, she would not be affected by a requirement to present an ID in order to vote, ....bad example...try again

you would ignore a pretty lengthy list of documented voter fraud incidents and examples and argue something that does not exist, this mythical hardship that is supposedly caused when an adult is asked to provide a form of ID...sweet Jesus

Last edited by scottw; 04-15-2014 at 05:36 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I asked you to "name one" and you named your mother and then later admitted that she does, in fact, have an ID...how does that make me wrong?...I'd say you were lying about your mother or at least using her in yet another of your distortions...doesn't seem very "manly"...she should spank you
I said there are people who don't have ID, that she got one for other reasons just recently is irrelevant, that she didn't for quite some time is certainly evidence that some don't.

Quote:
none of this supports your contention that there are those out there for whom providing an ID when voting would somehow be a burden or a "hardship" ..she has an ID, however recent or not and has always voted according to you, she would not be affected by a requirement to present an ID in order to vote, ....bad example...try again
Having to obtain ID if you don't have one would be a burden for anyone, if it would qualify as a "hardship" would be relative. In the RI example you cited above the State tried to make it easy...but what about states that don't want to make it easy? If a Federal ID law is passed should they also require that states try and make it easy as well? Isn't this more Liberal legislation?

Quote:
you would ignore a pretty lengthy list of documented voter fraud incidents and examples and argue something that does not exist, this mythical hardship that is supposedly caused when an adult is asked to provide a form of ID...sweet Jesus
Post it then, I hope there's some significant items in there.

-spence
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Piscator

Quote:
Having to obtain ID if you don't have one would be a burden for anyone
-spence
A burden for anyone? Really? It's that much of a burden for anyone?

Come on......cut it out.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
I said there are people who don't have ID, that she got one for other reasons just recently is irrelevant, that she didn't for quite some time is certainly evidence that some don't.

Having to obtain ID if you don't have one would be a burden for anyone, if it would qualify as a "hardship" would be relative. In the RI example you cited above the State tried to make it easy...but what about states that don't want to make it easy? If a Federal ID law is passed should they also require that states try and make it easy as well? Isn't this more Liberal legislation?

Post it then, I hope there's some significant items in there.

-spence
Come on, spence. No one likes having to go get an I'd. But even if I agree with your notion that getting an I'd is a burden, you still won't tell us why it's more of a burden for minorities than it is for whites. Because if getting an I'd is an equal burden regardless of color, then requiring am I'd to vote cannot be an effective way of reducing the minority vote. Try making that wrong.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
But even if I agree with your notion that getting an I'd is a burden, you still won't tell us why it's more of a burden for minorities than it is for whites. Because if getting an I'd is an equal burden regardless of color, then requiring am I'd to vote cannot be an effective way of reducing the minority vote. Try making that wrong.
This covers the subject well.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...he_polls_.html

-spence
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Piscator

Quote:

-spence
Slate? Ha ha ha, one of the most liberal magazines/websites going.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Slate? Ha ha ha, one of the most liberal magazines/websites going.
No, more centrist but covering a range of topics beyond politics. They offer positions all over the map…

Try reading it once, some interesting articles at times.

-spence
Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
No, it does not cover it well, because it only discusses drivers licenses. As we all know (and if you didn't know before, now you do), in recognition of the fact that people who don't drive still need a photo id for a myriad of purposes, every state allows you to get a photo id that is not a drivers license. You need this to buy alcohol, buy cigarettes, cash a check, pick up a prescription, get a library card, etc...

So Spence, tell me in your own words please, why are minorities less likely to get this id? Why is it harder for blacks who don't drive to get this id, than it is for whites who don't drive?

There is no possible answer to this question, unless you feel blacks are much more disenfranchised from society than whites, and if that's the case, they probably won't vote anyway.

Go ahead. Tell me why blacks are less likely to get this id.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There is no possible answer to this question, unless you feel blacks are much more disenfranchised from society than whites, and if that's the case, they probably won't vote anyway.

Go ahead. Tell me why blacks are less likely to get this id.
If you don't need a drivers license what's the motivation to get another ID? If you're poor you probably don't need one. Operate on cash, don't frequent liquor stores that check.

Doesn't mean you still don't vote.

A lot of minorities some do feel very disenfranchised…some don't.

Still, why do we need more legislation to fix a problem there's not evidence is significant? You still haven't addressed that.

-spence
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;1039511

Still, why do we need more legislation to fix a problem there's not evidence is significant? You still haven't addressed that.

-spence[/QUOTE]

I don't understand you Spence. You've never heard of Acorn, you never heard of the goings-on up in New Hampshire, the bussing in of people to vote .
You saying it never happened over and over again doesn't mean sh$t.
I could google hundreds of instances of voter fraud . On both sides . It happens .
You haven't provided any evidence that the poor would be "disenfranchised " by this. Just that your mom once didn't have an ID

Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
If you don't need a drivers license what's the motivation to get another ID? If you're poor you probably don't need one. Operate on cash, don't frequent liquor stores that check.

Doesn't mean you still don't vote.

A lot of minorities some do feel very disenfranchised…some don't.

-spence
"If you don't need a drivers license what's the motivation to get another ID?"

We have covered this, and you know that. There are lots of needs for a photo id besides driving. For God's sake, you yourself said that even though your mom didn't drive, eventually she needed a photo id. And what did she do? She went and got one. No big deal, right?

You refuse to answer my question. Why does the requirement of a photo id suppress more black votes than white votes? Because that is necessarily what liberals believe here, right?

There are only 2 possible answers. Either (1) the government makes it easier for whites to get the ids than it is for blacks (and no one is saying that), or (2) you think blacks are more likely to be too lazy to get the id, than whites. That is necessarily the foundation of the liberal notion that conservatives are trying to suppress minority votes here, and that's racist.

"A lot of minorities some do feel very disenfranchised" If that's true, and I concede it is, then it stands to reason that those disenfranchised citizens, who can't be bothered to get an id, will not likely vote either way. So there's no suppression.

Here's another thing. Many states have recently passed the voter id requirements. If the requirement is a blatant attempt to suppress the minority vote, then there must be ample data in those states to support that. Where is the data to show that after those states started requiring ids, that minority voting decreased by a larger amount than white voting?

I have never, not once, seen someone opposed to the id requirement, provide such data. I presume that no such data exists. Therefore, the liberal notion that conservatives are out to bring back Jim Crow laws, is BS designed to demonize the political opposition. Why? Because those Dems in the know, realize that they are in serious trouble in 2014. They are truly desperate. So instead of trying to honestly explain to us why their ideas are actually better, they play the race card. One day, that may blow up in their faces.

You, specifically, are utterly embarrassing yourself on this thread. You claim your Mom got an id for her own needs, and then you ask why anyone who doesn't drive would ever need an id? Anything, ANYTHING (even contradicting what you said earlier) to avoid having to admit that I'm right, and that your side is engaging in the ugliest kind of political smear tactics.

Bill Clinton is in favor of photo ids to vote. You're telling me that he wants to suppress the minority vote?