Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Van
zoom

HP Parking

WTF is with people.

Ok, I know its cold out, but inconsiderate jerks that park in HP spots so that they are closer to the door just plain suck.
Comon, they can walk the extra 20-30 feet.
But to purposely park in those spots (especially at the coffee shop) so they don't have to walk the extra distance in the cold is pure laziness and inconsiderate. When I see them do it, I stop and point to the sign and see what they do. Some move, most just leave it there. I just don't get it.

At christmas I dropped the misses for a quick errand at the door of the mall in the parking garage and I waitied for her in the car. I was in front of the HP spots, but I can easily move if I have to. Along comes this woman about 40 YO. carrying three bags in each hand. Looks like she works out alot too. What car does she get in....a volvo parked in the HP (not illegally, she had a placard) must have been for mothers car or placard. I gave her the dirtest look I could muster. How would you like to be actaully handicapped, find all the spaces are taken, and some beatch is pulling that crap. #$%@@#$@#

Thats my grump for the day. Got me started when a guy in a lexus SUV was parked in the HP this morning at the coffee shop...Poor guy, I mean it was soooo cold out !!!!! #$%@@#$@#

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
beachwalker
Below Me

We have a lifetimes worth of them here every summer.

They park in HP's
Double park
stop in the middle of the street for whatever
etc.

beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
FishermanTim

Those are the wankers suffering from a ETHICAL/MORAL handicap.
They'll b*tch and moan when the shoe is on the other foot, but they forget that the person they're complaining about is actually themselves.
The worse part is that some people have the handicap plates, but the handicap has nothing to do with their walking ability.
My view is that if I HAVE to use the handicap spaces, I probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
beachwalker
Below Me

you're in for it now dude.......

beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I see the ones everyday Van, the ones with the placard but they could probably run the Marathon (parents card maybe?) if so they should not be able to use it unless the parent or the person who is handicapped is in the vehicle! I wonder if they can get a ticket for that even if they have the placard? Anyone know?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Here in NY, the law is that the handicapped person must be in the vehicle in order to use a HP spot.

It's tough to enforce, tho.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Squid kids Dad

Lets not forget...You dont have to be visibly handi-capped to be handi-capped

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:06 AM   #8
grampa old spook

i cant really walk well,most the time its on canes and usually not far these days,these #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s who do that piss me off,at mamas walmart i went one day with her in the mornin,not one car had hp plates in alll the hp spots or a placard,i was pissed.grabbed a manager an had the cops zip up tickets.phuckem,its war now,next im gonna start in with an icepick depending on my mood.people suck.

NRA Millenium Honor Roll Member 6984858*
Grampa To All
Do A Kid A favor,take'm fishin'
Plugs Not Drugs.
Recovering Salmon And Trout Fiend.
Kennebec River Ratz Patrol Leader
grampa old spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Van
zoom

Good for you GOS....

My mother (83) is not handicapped other than her advanced years make it so she cannot walk far, and she is very slow getting around. She has a placrd and yes, she still drives, (I can't get her to stop), so I guess that's why it bugs me so much, luckily she only goes out a couple of times a week during mid-day, so its not a big problem.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #10
Uncle Matt

As a cop here in Mass, I once watched a young man park in a HP spot and then walk into the liquor store. I know this guy because he is from town and I also know he is driving his grandmothers car. The car has a placard always hanging from the rear view mirror and I also knew his grandmother was basically bedridden for some time (It's a small town and we were also EMT's and drove the ambulance).

I'm outside writing hima $100 handicapped parking violation when he returns with his case of beer and tells me his grandmother is inside the store. I wait with him and after a few minutes he confesses. My partner hears this going on on the radio and told me he gave the same guy a warning for the same HP violation a week prior. So I issued him the $100 violation, charge him additionally with misuse of a HP placard and seized the placard and returned it to the registry.

His family later told me he was using his grandmothers car "until he got back up on his feet" and he told his family he cut up the placard and threw it out. They were embarassed, because it is a small town, and took the grandmothers vehicle away.

To quote GOS some "PEOPLE SUCK!"

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I love stories with a happy ending!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #12
Bawana

Uncle Matt gets a pat on the back!Dont you just love it when they run out of the store and Jump in the beemaa with the vanity plate parked in the Handicapped spot.What did he tell you grammy was getting the pretzel to go with the brew????
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
Raven

Arrow the law is

that the handicapped person has to exit the vehicle and not be the chauffer for the passenger. i know because i have one
and am legally handicapped but to watch me walk you'd never know it... took me a year and a half to re-learn to walk as well as i do.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #14
Van
zoom

Tell me how pissed you get when there are no HP spots, and someone who is not handicapped is using a placard.

Same coffee shop...
Last week I saw a girl talking to a staty because she parked in it. "will I get a ticket"?? as she batted her eyelashes.
The officer says "don't feel guilty about it" !!
I could not believe it..
So I said loudly enough so they would both hear " I would, thats why I don't park there!"
They both looked at me like I had two heads.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #15
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Gets me RIPPED. My wife's dad has a nerve disease and he either walks with canes or takes the wheel chair. I have developed a new appreciation for handicapped spaces and the slope on ramps after helping him get around......................... Try doing Disney with a wheelchair...............

#&&*$*&^( who park in HP spots beacuse it's raining or cold #^&$*&$*&$*&.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #16
cheferson

My uncle gets really ripped when he sees this.He leaves the people a nice gift for when they return. He gets a nice glob of phlem and spit and strategically places it on their door handle.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
Raven

i know the feeling

when i'm having a good day...i dont even use it.... but when i've over done it and just about need crutches as i have periods of not being able to bear my own weight on my permanently sprained ankle.... i definately get wicked pissed off.... and to tell you the truth...the thing that finally inspired me (you might say)
to go to my doctor and have her sign my placard application
was when one day i pulled into a handicapped place (live parking and watching for disabled plates approaching ect.) while waiting for my better half to grab a few items....this girl pulls in to the handicapped spot directly across from me ,hangs her placard on the mirror ,jumps out of the car and runs into the store like her car was about to explode. That did it....for me, then i got mine.

whats nice about surf fishing (i hate the 2 mile walk JOHN ) )
is that while in the water you weigh half as much due to bouyancy. After this coldest winter in 20 years , now i have to diet
(one meal per day) and walk every where to slim down allot in order to walk around the canal or my other favorite spots at all.

i hear ya VAN! p.s. it took me 9 years to finally swallow my pride b4 getting my placard as severe arthritus catches up to you.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #18
Uncle Matt

I hear ya guys. My grandfather had a HP and I was his personal driver the last few years of his life. Nothing would get him more upset than a HP misuse. But he would never say anything or get mad. We would circle the lot several times and wait until a spot opened.

As an officer let me fill you in on a few more things. I have never, nor will I ever give a verbal or written warning for a true HP violation. If I catch you it willl cost you $150. That's it. My Chief and my fellow officers know it's my biggest pet peave and I will never change.

*Also, let me also telll you that the "pretty girl flashing her eyes or flirting with me" does not work. I give every one of them a ticket. Why? Because it's embarrassing to me and I could care less. Some say cold and heartless but whatever. The moment they start their little act I smile and pull out my pen. Why? Because they have probably gottten away with it several times but not this time. And if they cry trying to weasel out of a ticket I break down laughing inside. I can't write fast enough and the look on their faces when you return with a money ticket is priceless. My Chief's secretary loves it and says I'm one of a kind. I don't know if that's good or bad!

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #19
Raven

Thumbs up someone

has to send the message and it might as well be you uncle matt
bravo and keep up the good work....i salute your attitude!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #20
Recovery Room

Does Stupidity count as a qualifying handicap ?

It burns my ass any time I see it. My dad was handicapped and even though I often would borrow the family car when I was growing up, I would never even think of parking in a handicap spot. If I had my way, I would ticket AND tow the violators.
Recovery Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #21
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by grampa old spook
pissed.grabbed a manager an had the cops zip up tickets.
My good friend Tony has only one leg and obviously has handicaped plates. When we all worked in downtown Boston, he had no problem double parking, blocking someone illegally parked and calling the cops. I think the fine for parking in a handicapped space at the time was $100 plus towing. He should have got a cut, he made plenty of money for the city.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote