Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
One of the groups that wanted to march was comprised of gay veterans. Yea, really...
Why didn't they just march with the Veterans group that was already marching...are they a bunch of Hetero-Phobes

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Why didn't they just march with the Veterans group that was already marching...are they a bunch of Hetero-Phobes
Because they are "militant". They couldn't just march with veterans, and call themselves "veterans" for an hour. God forbid...
Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
I would assume they wanted to self identify and were denied.

-spence
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

-spence
Why do they need to....I'm positive that nowhere on my DD-214 does it list my sexuality.....it just lists my veteran status.

When people ask me what I was in the Navy, I don't say "Hetero-sexual"....I say "Data Systems Technician".

Face it...they are just doing it to be a bunch of A-Holes

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Why do they need to....I'm positive that nowhere on my DD-214 does it list my sexuality.....it just lists my veteran status.

When people ask me what I was in the Navy, I don't say "Hetero-sexual"....I say "Data Systems Technician".

Agreed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
spence

Quote:

Or, they're doing it to change the norm. Jim wouldn't likely be as tolerant as he is if many gay rights advocates hadn't taken risks and pushed for tolerance and inclusion over the past 30 years.

Gay groups want to identify themselves as such not to promote the act of sex, but rather celebrate that they're able to openly be proud of who they are...not what they do. Heterosexuals don't have to worry about this...

You're conflating the act of sex with the identity of sex and as such your analogy sort of blows

-spence
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
Well, if any heterosexual groups wanted similar self-validation based on their sexuality, they were also denied. Therfore, there is exactly zero discrimination involved.

Try making that wrong.

If these people want self-identification based entirely on their sexual orientation, there are places and times to do that. There should also be places and times when people who don't give a rat's azz about sexual identity, should not be forced to have it shoved in their faces.

It doesn't need to be front and center, every single second, especially at an event when clearly nobody is being discriminated against, and the underlying theme has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality. As I said, if they can hijack a St Patrick's Day parade, why not demand a gay pride banner at a Red Cross blood drive? What's the difference?

Al Sharpton never, ever stops talking about race. It gets tiresome after a while.