Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Ian
Idiot

Trailer “troubles”

So I had those brake issues last summer and ended up dismantling the system in the rear axle and bleeding the system.

Fast forward to now and I’m finally getting around to replacing everything. Only issue is that the front axle, now that I’ve gotten the drum/hub combo off, is clearly corroded all around the surface which is supposed to hold a seal on the back of the hub.

So I sit here and realize that I’ve got the thing 99% dismantled, now might be the time to replace the axle.

So I ask:

1) Would you just steel brush/wool the surface smooth and trust that the hefty seal on the hub will be fine?

2) Do you think it’s a good time to swap to torsion axles for maintenance purposes?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

I remember the headaches associated with trailer brakes and salt water. That was before I disabled them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I remember the headaches associated with trailer brakes and salt water. That was before I disabled them.
I’m freaked about the fact that “the law” says every axle needs them.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
Guppy
User

Depends how bad me thinks

Assuming the water got into the hub, emery cloth the spindle at the seal and rebuild the hub,,, race, bearings.....

Check it down the road,,, IMO
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Personally, IMHO torsion axels are no more maintenance free than standard axels..as far as your seal surface, that is easily fixed with a speedy sleeve..drum brakes have been and always will be a problem, stainless steel disc brakes work very well with very little problems, I grease the caliper pins once a year and rinse with fresh water after a launch when I get home, my trailer never had brakes, I added them a few years back in preparation for a trip to lake Ontario, I make the drive each spring and sometimes in the fall, those brakes make that drive a whole lot less nerve racking.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Ian
Idiot

That Speedi Sleeve is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to find the right size!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
wrench

Ian, this site is good for trailer parts or for reference on sizes and identification purposes, measurements etc. for what your looking for now, but also other trailer items in the future. I used this site frequently when not in a hurry for trailer parts.

https://www.easternmarine.com/Grease-Seals-Oil-Seals/
wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
ivanputski
Pete K.

Ian, I have a 19' center console... I quickly realized that having functioning brakes was alosing battle when dunking in saltwater... so I removed them... but i only have to trailer 1 mile twice per summer. if I was on the highway often i would
probably have them. I always have trouble with my bearings! (blown out on the road 3x... not fun!!!!)
ivanputski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
That Speedi Sleeve is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to find the right size!

Thanks!
Find your inner bearing size, most 2000 to 3500lbs trailer axels use 1 1/16 bearngs, trailer parts depot has bearing, sleeve and seal kits for an entire axel with 1/16 spindle for $15.49...sku: K71-065-00

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Find your inner bearing size, most 2000 to 3500lbs trailer axels use 1 1/16 bearngs, trailer parts depot has bearing, sleeve and seal kits for an entire axel with 1/16 spindle for $15.49...sku: K71-065-00
This isn’t the race the bearing sits against, it’s the surface the seal rides on.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #11
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
Ian, I have a 19' center console... I quickly realized that having functioning brakes was alosing battle when dunking in saltwater... so I removed them... but i only have to trailer 1 mile twice per summer. if I was on the highway often i would
probably have them. I always have trouble with my bearings! (blown out on the road 3x... not fun!!!!)
Yeah, I have just shortened the statement to “having a trailer is a losing battle” at this point.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This isn’t the race the bearing sits against, it’s the surface the seal rides on.
I know..but they determine the seal surface by the inner bearing diameter, some spindles use a stepped seal surface, in those instances, you need to know the seal ID,..I just referenced the whole kit because most likely if you have a bad seal surface, the bearings are not good either , for the price why not start new. ..as I said before, it's a simple fix.

A good run is better than a bad stand!