Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Ian
Idiot

HVLP Spray Gun for Compressor

Tried painting my cabinets with a brush, roller, etc. and nothing is working. Read up on the interwebs and found that this type of gun is by far the preferred method for applying paint in areas prone to dripping.

Anyone have any experience with them?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
LOTS

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
LOTS
Worth it? Im looking between 150 and 200 and have read some extremely positive reviews
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

by dripping, if you mean the paint running because of being laid on too heavy, then yes maybe an HVLP may help you.
I don't have experience with an HVLP cup gun used with a compressor, never bought one of those, I did have one powered by a turbine but did not like that, not enough volume for me. I do have one that is on a pressure pot but it does not atomize enough for my use, it may work fine for thinner paints like automotive paint but for cabinets I have to thin it a lot. Air assisted airless is more appropriate for cabinets but at a very high cost.
There has been lots of improvement over the years with the technology of HVLP type spray guns. Buy the best you can afford. I think Binks was one of the first to come out with one. good luck

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Best product I've used for cabinets is Magnalac by M L Campbell. It is a high build lacquer that worked very well in my HVLP sprayer as well as roll and tip. In general I do not like my HVLP sprayer, but the product you are spraying makes a world of difference in the application and the finished product. While Magnalac is very pricey, the end product is worth it. The labor involved with refinishing is wasted if you cheap out on the paint/finish.

My HVLP gun is from Rockler. We have a love/hate relationship.... Not easy to get it atomizing properly and once set up, lays paint at a slow rate. Not exactly High Volume. And I hate cleaning it.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Ian
Idiot

Thanks for the information guys! I am considering getting this gun with possibly a remote pot setup

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%204003-15.htm

I think with all the paint projects we have coming up in the new house I will have a lot of places to use such a tool. The $200 or so investment seems worth it to tackle all of those projects with a uniform coat.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I would think that your having an issue with drips using a brush or roller, forget about spraying with a gun.
Hire a painter.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
ed morini

hvlp

It is very important that you have a compressor that that has sufficient cfm's to work the gun. The 10 psi at the tip is considered ok for atomization of the fluid. Having said that the size tip is also very important. For latex usually 1.2- 1.4 tip is required...check paint specs. and gun specs for these tips.

I sprayed exclusively with hvlp both turbine and conversion guns with excellent results, using all types of finish. http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html has a great gun for beginners, and will work with with a smaller compressor..read the accompanying article and check out the tip sizes.

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed morini View Post
It is very important that you have a compressor that that has sufficient cfm's to work the gun. The 10 psi at the tip is considered ok for atomization of the fluid. Having said that the size tip is also very important. For latex usually 1.2- 1.4 tip is required...check paint specs. and gun specs for these tips.

I sprayed exclusively with hvlp both turbine and conversion guns with excellent results, using all types of finish. http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html has a great gun for beginners, and will work with with a smaller compressor..read the accompanying article and check out the tip sizes.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I had seen that gun and did some additional googling and others said they had issues with it and recommended the Astro. My mind naturally gravitated that direction due to the lower price of the astro as well. I just bit the bullet and bought the Wagner based on some of the rave reviews I read and the ability to find more real reviews on that gun in comparison with the Astro. I think I'll be happy.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
ed morini

HVLP

Let me know how you make out. Give a shout if you need any help

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Ian
Idiot

Spray gun was an accelerated learning curve, but things came out really nicely... Hard to imagine voluntarily using a brush and roller again if the use case allows the gun.