Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
One last question for BW:
Where did I come close to defending him?
You idiot.

You're either with US (i.e. Wipe and Scottw) or you're with the TERRORISTS.

This thread is so sad.

Pretty soon people will be shooting up geology departments as a "preemptive measure" to prevent their liberal sissy votes from killing more of the GOOD Americans.

Bin Laden hoped he could help turn Americans on themselves.

Good job guys.

-spence
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Hasan was characterized in meetings as a mediocre student and lazy worker, a matter of concern among the doctors and staff at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, a military medical school in Bethesda, Md., the official said.

Mediocre student! Lazy! Damn, I think I am surrounded at work by terrorists!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Hasan was characterized in meetings as a mediocre student and lazy worker, a matter of concern among the doctors and staff at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, a military medical school in Bethesda, Md., the official said.

Mediocre student! Lazy! Damn, I think I am surrounded at work by terrorists!
I'm sure there are plenty of people scrambling to determine why this guy wasn't identified as a mental risk in time, or why nothing was really done about it.

-spence
Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
your PC'ness is a tragedy...

4a. a flaw of character or conflict with some ovepowering force

people like JD and you and Nancy Pelosi and Bill Clinton who constantly twist and warp the definitions of words to suit your agenda should stop asking people to "define" things for you..it is a pointless exercise....
Are you sure you aren't defining yourself exactly? There's a difference between presenting facts (my posts), and making statements based on out-of-context, contorted commentaries and delusion(your posts).

I would love a couple of examples where I "twist and warp the definitions of words to suit my agenda." Quite frankly, you either copy paste something from some vague conservative website or commentary, or you make up a response that often doesn't even begin to make sense. The part of asking people like you and asswipe to define things is that you get stuck against the corner because now you're being asked make a statement based on facts - to which you just dance around the point and make a post like the one you just made.

After a few examples of how *I* twist and warp things, I'll show you a laundry list of when you have.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people scrambling to determine why this guy wasn't identified as a mental risk in time, or why nothing was really done about it.

-spence
we know why...

“As great a tragedy as this was, it would be a shame if our diversity became a casualty as well,” the Army Chief of Staff also said Sunday.

political correctness, diversity and fear of offending with the hammer of authority coming down on your head as you are labeled intolerant and bigoted... trumps common sense, even in the military

Last edited by scottw; 11-12-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #36
Fly Rod

Innocent to proven guilty?

or

Guilty until proven innocent?

JohnnyD, I need help with the above since you say bigger percentage of people do not know as much about this guy being a terrorist or not being one as you do.

Why is the nation picking on this poor depressed Islamic person and his rights? Why couldn't he have gotten on his magic prayer carpet and fly away to his native land?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #37
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I would love a couple of examples where I "twist and warp the definitions of words to suit my agenda." .
"living in squander"

[QUOTE=JohnnyD;723407]
There's a difference between presenting facts (my posts), your opinion, talk about delusional

[QUOTE=JohnnyD;723407]
After a few examples of how *I* twist and warp things, I'll show you a laundry list of when you have.I hope you waste a ton of time

YOU ARE BECOMING A "THREAD NAZI"

Last edited by scottw; 11-12-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

-spence
and there are twice as many scrambling to cover it up so it does not reflect negatively on the commander and chief!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #39
buckman

The more we learn about this the worse it looks. How does a a mediocre student and lazy worker get promoted to Major? They arrested the Sudbury kid on less then they had on this guy. I know this wasn't terrorism, as I now have seen the light( thanks JD ), however if this guy slipped through the cracks, then how safe are we?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #40
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The more we learn about this the worse it looks. How does a a mediocre student and lazy worker get promoted to Major? They arrested the Sudbury kid on less then they had on this guy. I know this wasn't terrorism, as I now have seen the light( thanks JD ), however if this guy slipped through the cracks, then how safe are we?
This, I agree with.

I know there will be a barrage after this but... There are many very intelligent, honorable people in the military. However, the 6 people from my graduating class that entered the military were the same people that got in trouble a lot at school, were in the bottom 50% of the class - then I know of at least 2 others that were kicked out of college and sent into the military by their parents. I'm not criticizing, just relaying the numbers from my class.

On the other hand, I know well over 10-20 people I went to college with that went on to be career Officers.

The current state of our military is extremely overstretched. That's not to say there shouldn't be some sort of vetting process, but recruiters are being pressured to bring in numbers or not get promoted - they're trying to fill as many boots as possible. There are bad apples in all fields, combine that with the stresses of combat and putting your life on the line for military people.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #41
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so, isnt it sort of a safe bet to say he slipped through the cracks because of pc?
I mean you dont think his background/faith influenced his promotion AT ALL? You dont think the military was more leniant on him because he was muslim? just asking.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #42
buckman

The military should have only one job. Kill bad guys that endanger our Liberty and Freedom. They have the brightest and best this country has to offer. They are held back because of politics. Casey and the others are politicians first and commanders second. We worry about how every move we make might offend someone and in the end no move is made. I wish there was a better way of saying it then PC because so many get offended by that.You have to be PC about how you use the term PC.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Terrorism, especially as a means to influence government policy, may be too general a term to apply to this situation. More specifically, Islamic terrorism might be more apt. According to the overly admired Wikipedia "Islamic terrorism is the common term for violence thought to be rooted in Islamism or misinterpretation of Islam, and is based on claims of defending, or even promoting Islamic culture, society and values in opposition to the political, allegedly imperialistic, and cultural influences of non-Muslims, and the Western World in particular." Based on some of Hasan's previous statements against our being in Iraq and Afghanistan and what should be done to non-Muslims, his act might be construed as a violent defence of Islam. Muslim scholar Zakir Naik said (again in Wikipedia) "Every Muslim should be a terrorist. A terrorist is a person who causes terror. The moment a robber sees a policeman he is terrified. A policeman is a terrorist for the robber. A muslim should be a terrorist for the robber and all other anti-social elements." Hasan seems to have considered America, especially its military, as anti-Muslim-social.

As far as this being a psychological "snap," not only was his act too well prepared to be a snap, but there may be a pathological element to most terrorist acts (certainly anti-social). Afghan pathologist Dr. Yusuf Yadgari (again in Wikipedia) found in a study of 110 suicide bombers that 80% of them had some kind of physical or mental disability. The difference between a terrorist and a mental case may not be that great, and to say that Hasan had a mental problem does not discount him being an Islamist terrorist.

As far as it being an act of mass murder rather than terrorism, most acts of terrorism are acts of mass murder--again, being one doesn't discount the other.

Perhaps an even better name for Hasan would be Jihadist. Especially one of the "lesser Jihad" or Jihad of the sword. This is justified by Muslim Scholars as acting against injustice and oppression (he certainly viewed the U.S. as unjust and oppressive in Iraq and Afghanistan), and as acting against the rejecters of truth after it has become evident to them (as we in the West reject the truth presented to us by Osama bin Laden, Hasan, and Islam).

Last edited by detbuch; 11-12-2009 at 06:33 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #44
JohnnyD

Quote:
We worry about how every move we make might offend someone and in the end no move is made. I wish there was a better way of saying it then PC because so many get offended by that.You have to be PC about how you use the term PC.
Agreed. I refuse to walk on eggshells for anyone and the military shouldn't have to either when it comes to the safety of our honorable soldiers. Anyone that appears to be even the slightest risk to other soldiers should be removed immediately - whether they're Muslim, female, high ranking or otherwise. But, the military is already understaffed, removing a large number of people that *might* be a risk could have the potential to be more dangerous.

Somehow my thinking that this wasn't a terrorist incident, has been conflated by some into me being PC.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #45
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

[QUOTE=JohnnyD;723466] conflated

Not for nothing John, but that is a good word.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
One last question for BW:
Where did I come close to defending him?
I repeatedly said all I disagree with this being 'terrorism' and was more likely a mass murder, rampage type event by a nut job. More and more likely since he seems to have been deemed psychotic by his colleagues, who did nothing but pass the buck since he was being transferred out of Walter Reed.

Never in any of the above did I think he doesn't deserve to be punished. Period. I just think keeping him alive at Leavenworth is more punishment than the death penalty.
How is terrorism and what you call "mass murder" and the death 13 American soldiers different?A religious muslim fanatic ended the lives of 13 good Americans.That's terror at its best.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #47
basswipe

Quote:
This is your default response to just about anything. He could have said the sky looked neon green with stripes of purple and you'd response "exactly what I expected to hear."

People that act like you are why the KKK still has a strong following.

I still find it funny that you pissed and moaned because I made a generalized statement about a group of people, yet you've made multiple in this thread. Maybe you shouldn't drink before making posts.
Smoke up some more dude.I'll never understand people like you who compare me to the KKK.Its like comparing me to a nazi who just killed some jews.Get a grip johnny I'm a fvcking Armenian.I live with people who're the relatives of 2.5 million people slaughterd by muslims.Keep your mouth shut until you actually have someting intelligent to say.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #48
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
conflated

Not for nothing John, but that is a good word.
Haha... thank you.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #49
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Keep your mouth shut until you actually have someting intelligent to say.
Someone should take their own advice - especially a person that hasn't put an ounce of intelligence into any of their posts in here.

At least for once you didn't start a post with "Exactly the response I expected."
Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #50
basswipe

Quote:
Someone should take their own advice - especially a person that hasn't put an ounce of intelligence into any of their posts in here.

At least for once you didn't start a post with "Exactly the response I expected."
Exactly the response I expected.

Really.

I love people like you who ride the coat tails of us vets.I literally have dead friends so that we can have this discussion.

Bless you dude and your family.I really mean that.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #51
JohnnyD

Quote:
Exactly the response I expected.

Really.

I love people like you who ride the coat tails of us vets.I literally have dead friends so that we can have this discussion.

Bless you dude and your family.I really mean that.
As a vet, your service is more than appreciated. The sacrifice a soldier makes deserves a level of respect higher than any other.

On the other hand, being a vet is not a blank check to be a prick because someone disagrees with you.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #52
spence

Quote:
How is terrorism and what you call "mass murder" and the death 13 American soldiers different?A religious muslim fanatic ended the lives of 13 good Americans.That's terror at its best.
I guess if you view violence by Muslims always as "terrorism" you'd have a point.

It's interesting how in many of these threads people are actually going out of their way to stress the word "terrorist" like some also stress the "Hussein" when speaking about the President.

It's almost like some are wishing he's a terrorist just to prove some point.

What point?

That Muslims are all terrorists?

I'm thinking that might just be the point.

-spence
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #53
JohnnyD

Quote:
I guess if you view violence by Muslims always as "terrorism" you'd have a point.

It's interesting how in many of these threads people are actually going out of their way to stress the word "terrorist" like some also stress the "Hussein" when speaking about the President.

What point?

-spence
There's no point to be made, just ignorance. asswipe has already made it clear the reason he holds this opinion isn't because of actual evidence, but because of the Armenian Genocide committed almost 100 years ago. I'm still sensitive about my Irish relatives dying during the Great Famine 150 years ago - which is why I don't allow potatoes in my house.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
I'll never understand people like you who compare me to the KKK.Its like comparing me to a nazi who just killed some jews.Get a grip johnny I'm a fvcking Armenian.I live with people who're the relatives of 2.5 million people slaughterd by muslims.Keep your mouth shut until you actually have someting intelligent to say.
You sound a lot like the black activists who say that African Americans can't be racists.

-spence
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #55
Joe

Quote:
I don't allow potatoes in my house.
Not even potato chips? What about Guinness - is that banned also? Take away the potatoes and the Guinness and you're down the just the Jameson food group.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #56
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Not even potato chips? What about Guinness - is that banned also? Take away the potatoes and the Guinness and you're down the just the Jameson food group.
Guinness is a staple in my house... and after 4 years, my girlfriend has finally started to understand when I ask "Do you have Guinness on tap?" why I then order a different beer if the response is "I'm sorry, but we have it in the bottle."
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #57
buckman

Quote:

What point?

-spence
Avoiding to describe this as potential terrorism just might get people killed. If you don't think Obama is also investigating this as a potential terrorist attack then I hope your wrong, for your kids sake. Even I have more faith in Obama then that.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #58
buckman

Quote:

What point?

-spence
You really say some pretty stupid things.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #59
spence

Quote:
Avoiding to describe this as potential terrorism just might get people killed. If you don't think Obama is also investigating this as a potential terrorist attack then I hope your wrong, for your kids sake. Even I have more faith in Obama then that.
I think the military police are smart enough to conduct an investigation without biasing it one way or the other.

-spence
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #60
spence

Quote:
You really say some pretty stupid things.
How so? That people let stereotypes and bigotry pollute their thinking?

That's stupid?

-spence