Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Paul: re crack pipes

From an HHS spokesman...

the kits "will provide pipes for users to smoke crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and ‘any illicit substance.’"

https://www.foxnews.com/media/critic...g-mostly-false

I guess they're not "crack pipes", in the sense that they are also intended to be used for crystal meth.

Hooray! Men peeing in the girls room with little girls, men destroying girls in sports, now the feds are handing out drug supplies.

What a great cultural leap forward.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
PaulS

So who was the HHS spokesman? That quote was from the WFB saying a HHS spokesman said that.

From what I read it is things like alcohol swabs, chap lips stick, etc.

I agree giving out pipes is crazy. Click on the links and even the fox clip I saw everyone said it didn't include pipes.

The Health and Human Services (HHS) Department will not use federal money to provide crack pipes to vulnerable communities, the Biden administration indicated on Wednesday.

In a press release, Becerra and Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) Director Dr. Rahul Gupta said the administration was "focused on using our resources smartly to reduce harm and save lives. Accordingly, no federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits."

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Wednesday the reporting was inaccurate and that crack pipes were never part of the smoking kits. The Free Beacon claimed, however, to have spoken with a HHS spokesman who confirmed that crack pipes and other paraphernalia would be part of the kits.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

From what I read it is things like chap lips stick, etc.
need lotsa chap stick hitting that pipe!
Old 02-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
wdmso

Needle exchanges find new champions among Republicans Key Florida Republicans Now Say Yes To Clean Needles For Drug Users

I bet everyone here has seen a crack pipe they look like a weed pipe .. or a coke Bottle with a pice of Tim foil (you guys have tons of that).

So needle exchanges are acceptable but crack pipes go to far. Yes because Crack is a black inner city drug or so they think

We all ready see it in the SCJ pick. GOP Senator Calls Black Judicial Nominee’s 3 Speeding Tickets A ‘Rap Sheet’

Republicans keep saying there is no racism in their party! Then they speak
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Tim foil (you guys have tons of that).

nope
Old 02-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:

Crack is a black inner city drug or so they think

can always count on you to inject racism in everything...good job
Old 02-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Needle exchanges find new champions among Republicans Key Florida Republicans Now Say Yes To Clean Needles For Drug Users

I bet everyone here has seen a crack pipe they look like a weed pipe .. or a coke Bottle with a pice of Tim foil (you guys have tons of that).

So needle exchanges are acceptable but crack pipes go to far. Yes because Crack is a black inner city drug or so they think

We all ready see it in the SCJ pick. GOP Senator Calls Black Judicial Nominee’s 3 Speeding Tickets A ‘Rap Sheet’

you go out and find a couple of republicans who do or say what you hoped, and claim that's the gop position. it’s not rational.

anything that makes it easier to do drugs is stupid public policy. It's taking stupidity to evangelical heights.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-11-2022 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
anything that makes it easier to do drugs is stupid public policy. It's taking stupidity to evangelical heights.
Bingo

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Let's reinvigorate the wonderfully successful war on drugs,

If prison worked, or if enforcement eliminated drug supplies, the U.S. would have seen a decrease in drug use and overdose deaths in the decades since the war on drugs began. Instead, data show that we suffer from 10 times the number of overdose deaths compared to 1990, despite billions spent on prohibition. The use and availability of fentanyl and other opiates has increased, not decreased.

Every overdose death is a tragedy, and too many Americans have been impacted by overdoses and a lack of health care for users. But let’s not be fooled. It’s easy for politicians to jump to “lock ‘em up” policies as a supposed “quick fix” to try to appease voters. We know from more than four decades of the failed war on drugs that this quick fix is a fiction. Prison and enforcement has not and will never make us safe from the risks of substance use. We need our leaders to tell the truth about this fact. We owe it to those who have lost their lives to overdose, and to those lives that can still be saved.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Let's reinvigorate the wonderfully successful war on drugs,

If prison worked, or if enforcement eliminated drug supplies, the U.S. would have seen a decrease in drug use and overdose deaths in the decades since the war on drugs began. Instead, data show that we suffer from 10 times the number of overdose deaths compared to 1990, despite billions spent on prohibition. The use and availability of fentanyl and other opiates has increased, not decreased.

Every overdose death is a tragedy, and too many Americans have been impacted by overdoses and a lack of health care for users. But let’s not be fooled. It’s easy for politicians to jump to “lock ‘em up” policies as a supposed “quick fix” to try to appease voters. We know from more than four decades of the failed war on drugs that this quick fix is a fiction. Prison and enforcement has not and will never make us safe from the risks of substance use. We need our leaders to tell the truth about this fact. We owe it to those who have lost their lives to overdose, and to those lives that can still be saved.
I never, ever said that taking a hard stance will eliminate drugs.

But look at the places that are notoriously soft on drugs, like Portland and San Francisco, and show me the evidence that enabling addicts is better than showing them tough love.

I'll wait for your evidence of such.

Pete, if you had a son who was addicted to heroin, would you give him clean needles?
Old 02-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I never, ever said that taking a hard stance will eliminate drugs.

But look at the places that are notoriously soft on drugs, like Portland and San Francisco, and show me the evidence that enabling addicts is better than showing them tough love.

I'll wait for your evidence of such.

Pete, if you had a son who was addicted to heroin, would you give him clean needles?
Portugal has done better than most of Europe thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system.

I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue.

I'd just as soon not add to their illness, are you saying that if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Portugal has done better than most of Europe thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system.

I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue.

I'd just as soon not add to their illness, are you saying that if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.
"thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system"

Who cares?

We could also reduce the prison population and ease the burden on our criminal justice system, if we made everything legal. But reducing prison population isn't progress, if it sends people into the public who don't belong there. Telling me that Portugal decreased their prison population, isn't by itself, evidence of any improvement.

Why look at Portugal, when as I said, you can look at liberal utopias like San Francisco.

"I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue."

So despite the partial dodge, you're saying no, you wouldn't provide needles to an addicted child.

"I'd just as soon not add to their illness"

How is giving them neeedles, not adding to the drug problem?

"if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C"

I'd drag my kid by the hair into rehab.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system"

Who cares?

We could also reduce the prison population and ease the burden on our criminal justice system, if we made everything legal. But reducing prison population isn't progress, if it sends people into the public who don't belong there. Telling me that Portugal decreased their prison population, isn't by itself, evidence of any improvement.

Why look at Portugal, when as I said, you can look at liberal utopias like San Francisco.

"I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue."

So despite the partial dodge, you're saying no, you wouldn't provide needles to an addicted child.

"I'd just as soon not add to their illness"

How is giving them neeedles, not adding to the drug problem?

"if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C"

I'd drag my kid by the hair into rehab.
We pay for every person we imprison, far better to have them be functioning members of society than locked up.

I’d do what I had to if my kid had that issue and I have no problem with giving addicts proper care and assistance.

Let’s hope none of us have to “drag my kid by the hair into rehab”, if it happens you’ll find out it’s not that simple.

You think addicts parents are all at fault?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
We pay for every person we imprison, far better to have them be functioning members of society than locked up.

I’d do what I had to if my kid had that issue and I have no problem with giving addicts proper care and assistance.

Let’s hope none of us have to “drag my kid by the hair into rehab”, if it happens you’ll find out it’s not that simple.

You think addicts parents are all at fault?
"We pay for every person we imprison"

I am aware that it's not free. Every sane person is happy to pay taxes to keep some people in prison.

"far better to have them be functioning members of society than locked up."

I am pretty sure that most people who are in prison, are there specifically because they weren't acting like functioning members of society, prior to being put into prison..

I agree it would be better if we had more productive citizens, and fewer prison inmates. You seem to be saying that the only thing stopping prisoners from being productive members of society, is being in prison? You think if we let them all go, they'd all be productive citizens? Are you under the impression that we pick functioning citizens at random, and put them in prison?

"I’d do what I had to if my kid had that issue and I have no problem with giving addicts proper care and assistance."

Nobody has a problem with giving them "proper care". The question is, is it "proper care" to enable them to continue to do hard drugs?

"if it happens you’ll find out it’s not that simple."

When did I say its simple? When you kid's life is at stake you do what's right, even if it's not simple. Simple doesn't even factor into it.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"We pay for every person we imprison"

I am aware that it's not free. Every sane person is happy to pay taxes to keep some people in prison.

"far better to have them be functioning members of society than locked up."

I am pretty sure that most people who are in prison, are there specifically because they weren't acting like functioning members of society, prior to being put into prison..

I agree it would be better if we had more productive citizens, and fewer prison inmates. You seem to be saying that the only thing stopping prisoners from being productive members of society, is being in prison? You think if we let them all go, they'd all be productive citizens? Are you under the impression that we pick functioning citizens at random, and put them in prison?

"I’d do what I had to if my kid had that issue and I have no problem with giving addicts proper care and assistance."

Nobody has a problem with giving them "proper care". The question is, is it "proper care" to enable them to continue to do hard drugs?

"if it happens you’ll find out it’s not that simple."

When did I say its simple? When you kid's life is at stake you do what's right, even if it's not simple. Simple doesn't even factor into it.
So apparently you think we’re winning the war on drugs

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-11-2022, 06:09 PM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
can always count on you to inject racism in everything...good job
And you deny it’s even a thing
Old 02-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #17
Nebe

We all know jim was really hoping for a government issue “let’s go Brandon” butt plug.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
So apparently you think we’re winning the war on drugs
Not even close. But I dont think we should give up either. And making it easier for people to get and do drugs, seems like giving up to me.

Apparently you think what San Francisco and Portland are doing is working, because you're ok with doing it countrywide.

I'm trying to debate you Pete, but it's hard when you say that letting people out of prison is necessarily a good thing. You don't think a lot of people in prison, deserve to be there? Either to keep us safe from them, or to give a little justice to their victims?
Old 02-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #19
wdmso

This sums it up

For about a decade, the majority of people who died from overdoses were white, and the discussion around drug policy has centered on prescription opioids. White middle-class people in addiction have been framed as victims of pharmaceutical companies that got them “hooked.” The narrative about Black people who used drugs during the crack crisis of the 1980s and ’90s was very different, implying that their drug use was a criminal and moral failure.

I worked in a detox no one in the state gave a #^&#^&#^&#^& about heroin or overdoses or crack it was inner city problem

Then came oxy’s and guess what it started killing white kids on the cape and in middle class America and boy did treatment in America change it became a disease that people could make money off and so did political outrage , every day for 20 plus years not matter on our court committed detox Count 98% were white between 18 to 26 on Avg , the rarest Asians
Old 02-11-2022, 06:37 PM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Not even close. But I dont think we should give up either. And making it easier for people to get and do drugs, seems like giving up to me.

Apparently you think what San Francisco and Portland are doing is working, because you're ok with doing it countrywide.

I'm trying to debate you Pete, but it's hard when you say that letting people out of prison is necessarily a good thing. You don't think a lot of people in prison, deserve to be there? Either to keep us safe from them, or to give a little justice to their victims?
So your solution is spend more to imprison addicts who’s numbers have consistently grown in the hope that we’ll get different results.
Pretty much the definition of insanity

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-11-2022, 07:02 PM   #21
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If you believe the government is giving out crack pipes, you are yourselves smoking crack, all the while tuned into right wing media. Only in this crazy new world does this nonsense make news.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If you believe the government is giving out crack pipes, you are yourselves smoking crack, all the while tuned into right wing media. Only in this crazy new world does this nonsense make news.
they give out needles, right? is this so different?
Old 02-12-2022, 05:44 AM   #23
scottw

"Republicans introduce "Hunter Act" to ban government funded crack pipes
Old 02-12-2022, 05:53 AM   #24
scottw

the explanation might be worse than the outrage....not sure why this is surprising, should probably make these kits available in Middle School Libraries

Snopes, a fact-checking site, was mocked by critics this week for rating reporting on the Biden administration's alleged funding of crack pipe distribution to drug users as "mostly false," while also admitting that "safer smoking kits" were required to be distributed as part of a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) grant.

In a Tuesday piece claiming news reports "grossly misrepresented" details about the substance abuse harm reduction program, Snopes stuck with its "mostly false" rating by arguing it was inaccurate to say that the distribution of the "smoking kits" was intended to "advance racial equity," but admitted that the pipes would be distributed with race as "a secondary consideration."

The grant program, overseen by HHS, would help make drug use safer for addicts by providing funds to nonprofits and local governments. The grant includes funds for "smoking kits/supplies," and, according to a spokesman for the agency, the kits "will provide pipes for users to smoke crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and ‘any illicit substance.’"

"Applicants for the grants are prioritized if they treat a majority of ‘underserved communities,’ including African Americans and ‘LGBTQ+ persons,’ as established under President Joe Biden's executive order on ‘advancing racial equity.’"

"In 2022, a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services substance abuse harm reduction grant did require recipients to provide safer smoking kits to existing drug users. In distributing grants, priority would be given to applicants serving historically underserved communities," Snopes wrote in its fact-check.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
the explanation might be worse than the outrage....not sure why this is surprising, should probably make these kits available in Middle School Libraries

Snopes, a fact-checking site, was mocked by critics this week for rating reporting on the Biden administration's alleged funding of crack pipe distribution to drug users as "mostly false," while also admitting that "safer smoking kits" were required to be distributed as part of a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) grant.

In a Tuesday piece claiming news reports "grossly misrepresented" details about the substance abuse harm reduction program, Snopes stuck with its "mostly false" rating by arguing it was inaccurate to say that the distribution of the "smoking kits" was intended to "advance racial equity," but admitted that the pipes would be distributed with race as "a secondary consideration."

The grant program, overseen by HHS, would help make drug use safer for addicts by providing funds to nonprofits and local governments. The grant includes funds for "smoking kits/supplies," and, according to a spokesman for the agency, the kits "will provide pipes for users to smoke crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and ‘any illicit substance.’"

"Applicants for the grants are prioritized if they treat a majority of ‘underserved communities,’ including African Americans and ‘LGBTQ+ persons,’ as established under President Joe Biden's executive order on ‘advancing racial equity.’"

"In 2022, a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services substance abuse harm reduction grant did require recipients to provide safer smoking kits to existing drug users. In distributing grants, priority would be given to applicants serving historically underserved communities," Snopes wrote in its fact-check.
“we love blacks so much, that we’ll pay young black girls to have babies, and give them a bonus to have those babies with no dad around, because that always works out so well. but because we don’t want TOO many of them, we’ll put an abortion clinic on every corner
in their neighborhoods. Furthermore, because we also don’t want them in school with our children, we ( the ones who never stop calling ourselves pro choice) will deny them school choice. Finally, to keep them from from improving their lives at all, we will give them needles and crack pipes to keep them addicted.”.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“we love blacks so much, that we’ll pay young black girls to have babies, and give them a bonus to have those babies with no dad around, because that always works out so well. but because we don’t want TOO many of them, we’ll put an abortion clinic on every corner
in their neighborhoods. Furthermore, because we also don’t want them in school with our children, we ( the ones who never stop calling ourselves pro choice) will deny them school choice. Finally, to keep them from from improving their lives at all, we will give them needles and crack pipes to keep them addicted.”.
Quoting the Republican base?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #27
scottw

you just need to spend a little time reading about San Francisco and their success handling drug and homelessness problems....I think the Mayor just declared another state of emergency there....
Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quoting the Republican base?
you tell me which of those things i listed, that liberals don’t advocate for. what was i wrong about? what did i make up?

do democrats not advocate for abortion, advocate against school choice,,advocate to send cash to teenage mothers, advocate to hand out drug accessories?

go ahead. tell us i’ll which of those things, liberals don’t actually advocate for.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Even the most conservative cities in the US have problems with homelessness.
But they aren’t as populous.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you tell me which of those things i listed, that liberals don’t advocate for. what was i wrong about? what did i make up?

do democrats not advocate for abortion, advocate against school choice,,advocate to send cash to teenage mothers, advocate to hand out drug accessories?

go ahead. tell us i’ll which of those things, liberals don’t actually advocate for.
Who were you quoting, or are you lying again?

Lets Go Darwin