Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Went to Bass Pro Shops today

I asked the wife if she would like to go somehwere and she asked me if I wanted to go to BPS. I said yes, and we did. It was pretty good. Liked the clothes. I don't fresh water fish but those doods must be in heaven every time they go through the door. Checked out the reel prices. They only had one Shimano sustain that I could compare prices on, the 8000 ???. It was $299.00 which is somewhat less than you can buy it elsewhere. The rods, well nothing I would use but thats just me. Three and half hours later the wife and I spent $29.00. Mucho guns, bow heaven, some good stuff for the dogs also. Absolutely fantastic decorations in the store, awesome.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

Did they have alot of saltwater rods?

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I can't believe they are not as well stocked on saltwater gear as fresh!!! They have many stores right on the coast do they not??? I think they need to spend more time researching the types of fishing that are done in the areas they plan to open their stores!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I can't believe they are not as well stocked on saltwater gear as fresh!!! They have many stores right on the coast do they not??? I think they need to spend more time researching the types of fishing that are done in the areas they plan to open their stores!
even locally I bet the ratio is 10 to 1 fishers of freshwater to salt.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Nebe

Salt water fishing for striped bass is succh a niche thing that BassPro is not equiped to 'think' about it.. Basspro is national. For all we know, the dude who does the product ordering lives in new mexico or something..
I dont see any reason to go there other than the 'ohhhhhhhhhhh wooowwww' factor.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
I went in with the bride a couple weeks ago. Lots of stuff for freshwater, hunting, and a marginal supply of saltwater stuff. Saltwater stuff we would typically use. I saw some stuff I expected to see and thee are a couple things I've been wanting to try but had not ordered online.

Some prices were good and some were no better than expected. Only one wooden vendor at the time - Gibbs.

All in all I may pop in from time to time but after the initial overwhelming of being in the place I'm sure 90%$ of my shopping remains where it is now. And should you want to drop $200 on the reel that is $210 at the local shop - ask the local guy to match or even split the difference for $205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
even locally I bet the ratio is 10 to 1 fishers of freshwater to salt.
Probably right the more I think about it - especially as people will road trip from all over seeing that until now the closest were Harrisburg/Baltimore/western NY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48 View Post
They had a fair selection, slightly better than what a #^&#^&#^&#^&s or SA would have as they did have some St Croix stuff. As usual, not a SINGLE one of the Ugly Sticks I checked out was splined right - NOT ONE!!!! Some other decent "cheap" surfstucks were there.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I do not believe striper fishing is anymore niche' than muskie fishing. Its regional and they chose to open a store on the New England coast or close enough to it.....and the state fish is a cod! I give them 3 years and they are gone! I do not believe they can sustain that gigantic store where it is located.....retail stores around them or not!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

My point is Karl....saltwater sportfishing is a huge part of this area and they should have taken that into consideration! Offshore fishing, boat fishing, surf fishing......what have you......you want the market you must cater to them! Pretty shortsighted in my opinion....thats all.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Slingah

its BassProShops....like in fresh water bass...not selling saltwater stuff isnt gonna put them under....
I hope they don't sell alot of saltwater stuff...keep the mom and pop tackle shops happy and thriving

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
HESH2

bass pro and cabelas pretty much same,great fresh water stuff,hunting and firearms.some clothes,socks,tee's,sweats etc.no salt stuff really.talked on phone east hartford store fishing dept. was told full line of gibb's coming,1 ri plug maker and vs items along with salt water clothing line from a well known source.when you have rivers end in ct,surfcaster your prices and selection are helping the local guys as the many great tackle shops and service in ri.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48 View Post
Nothing that you or I would fish Luds.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Gibbs were the only lures on the shelf that were interesting. They had Yozuri, but most were gone andlooking at the shelf tags I didn't recognize the ones they did stock.

Freshwater fishing one can do year round. The fish are held captive in thier environments. Hence the catering to the freshies. BPS is heaven for the freshies, no doubt.

Liked the clothes selection, and the footwear selection doesn't hold a back seat to anyone. And where do you go now that someone actually fits footwear to you, and runs out back for the shoes.

Last edited by Swimmer; 12-24-2007 at 10:29 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Backbeach Jake

Even BP's catalogue does nothing for me. I have yet to go and I have a feeling that it may be a one time trip. #^&#^&#^&#^&'s is about the same. Freshy oriented. Fine, I have friends in tackle shops from one end of the Cape to the other, I have a real hard time feeling comfy about wishing BP better. I get way better service and knowledge for the local guys, and the local guys have saved my butt and wallet many times from making a very expensive mistake. All in all Bass Pro is a wonder of the world for sure, but I personally like to get wowed on the beach. This is not a knock on BP, just an opinion.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post
its BassProShops....like in fresh water bass...not selling saltwater stuff isnt gonna put them under....
I hope they don't sell alot of saltwater stuff...keep the mom and pop tackle shops happy and thriving
That's exactly as I see it. Saving 10 bux buying something there instead of where I buy now wouldn't even cross my mind. Leave em be with the freshwater stuff and support the local establishments. Most shops can get you anything you would want saltwater wise.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
Slammer223

MAC and Slingah are right.Let's continue to support our local B&T's.And $299.00 for a Sustain 8000 doesn't exactly bowl me over either.And I agree that they SHOULD have a bigger saltwater variety in a store in Massachusetts than a store in Kansas.Not very bright on their part.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #16
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

still haven't been .. How were the crowds ? do they look like they'er going to make it ? Do they have a resteraunt there too ..?

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
BigBo

Still haven't been and don't have any plans to any time soon. I've bought from their catalog in the past. Mostly clothing and hunting gear. That's about the extent of it though.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
stripadan
stripadan

Going next week, mainly for hunting clothing and boots. Buy my fishing and hunting equipment from small local shops whenever possible.
stripadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #19
Backbeach Jake

I have to go to Providence to pick up my boy, Noah for the Holidays. BPS is at the halfway point and they're open until 6 tonight. I'll try to talk him into a recon mission this afternoon. I'll file a report if I make it in.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #20
fishonnelsons

Wait until March or so, then you'll see the saltwater selection get expanded dramatically. They had to open up the store fast (before Christmas) and probably focused on what they would sell in the season so to say.

They will be there much longer than 3 years, the bell curve of shoppers, that 75% of the population, will head there for the selection and awe of the place. Add to it the expectation they are getting a "better" deal, which is probably only about 10%, sad to say they will probably shop there alot. The majority of the more serious folks, the other end of the bell curve and the folks that frequent these sites etc., will (thank God) still frequent the local shops for all the right reasons.

Hey, Bass Pro, Cabella's, and the list goes on, all offer something, the little guys just have to continually adjust to ensure we offer the goods and services (reel repair, rod building, seminars)which keep people coming back.
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
fishbones

I went right when they opened with my son and we both were more impressed with the taxidermy than the selection of saltwater gear. I don't fish fresh water or hunt, so I can't say whether the selection for that stuff was good. I got a BPS gift card for Christmas, so I'll go back in the spring. Maybe pick up some Storm shads and new line. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be buying a rod or reel there because or the "service after the sale" factor. Happy holidays to everyone.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
jkswimmer

I was there this week for another look around since it is close to work. Not many people there any of the times I have been, I stop in, in the affernoon. Yes they are weak on the saltwater stuff, but were else can you buy 1 lb Fireline. I am waiting for the 0lb to come out.
jkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #23
luds
Night Stalker

I went today and have to say I really liked it. Not too crowded and the employees were friendly. I liked the clothing and general store stuff. I'll pass on the fishing section. Didn't see anything other than the new Shimano spinning reels. They look nice......good bling to them. I'll be back there soon as their clothing prices are reasonable and they have alot to choose from. They also had a few hot sauces that I'm going to try.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #24
Goose

Quote:
I'm glad they are not stocked. I mean anything that hurts the little guy can't be good for us sber's. Basspro down in FL is more geared out for saltwater but here in NE fresh is still bigger. Between Saltwaters Edge M&Ds and everything in between I hope things stay the same. Anyone who luv's the outdoors has gotta be glad basspro is here.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I have no interest in BPS and probably will never step foot in the place,

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

They have a decent boating section, and I'd rather go there than West Marine. The word got out to my family and I got a pile of gift certificates for BPS. They'll definitly stay in business. They are banking on the "vacation" mentaility. Did you ever wonder why vacaction and resort areas have so many high end stores? Beacuse when people go on vacation, they splurge and spend money. BPS is banking on the same thing

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #27
Casper
Here one day - gone next!

Hi All,
I too have been to the BasePro at foxboro recently. It's the 3rd one I been too, the others being in Orlando, Florida, and Las Vegas. They are nice to wonder around in and definitly seem to cater to the fresh water fishing group. Saw lots and lots of rubber lures there. However, I also been to the Cabelas store out in the middle of Penn. That one has a bigger saltwater section than any BassPro store I visted, and it was not even close to the ocean. Go figure?
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #28
Slingah

I went today, the wife and I were close by so we stopped in.
It was cool to see the fish and animal mounts. I hate shopping and crowds so I'll probally never go back...I buy stuff when it wears out, breaks or rips and that is a bit too far of a ride for anything I'd need.
The shooting range for the little kids is worth the trip

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
still haven't been .. How were the crowds ? do they look like they'er going to make it ? Do they have a resteraunt there too ..?
Small place to eat upstairs, which was cheap. Two italian subs with drinks for less than $9.00.

Lounge on the first floor where I believe they served liquor.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #30
Pete_G

Bastards have flyers on the table at Anthony's Seafood in Middletown.

Putting flyers in a store across the street from Sam's B+T and a 1/4 mile from the SWE. Nice. They aren't stupid, that's for sure.

Maybe I'll hand out SWE pamphlets at the first play off game at Gilette and see what happens.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote