Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Karl F

Angry farkin jury duty in Foulmouth in the AM

Last edited by Karl F; 05-15-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I kinda like jury duty ... got picked once for 5 days ,, Hang em .. Its interresting and our duty . Don't want all OJ jurys . Not being a wise guy .. I think to myself, alot of our generation died in Nam .. Least I can do is jury duty .. shame on those for sniveling out of it .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
if I get sat on one, it'll be my third... civic duty and all that, I am NOT a shirker.. trust me
I know bro ... just talkin general ... no disrespect ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I gatta go 30 miles, up to Newburyport for my civic duty on Jan 3..........

Couldn't have gotten something closer like Salem, or even Lynn???? I had already postponed from July and had requested Dec 24........... now I have to take what they give me....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
BW from AZ

United States District Court jury service telling me its for the entire "MONTH" of january. never shirked an never been called to sit, it could kill me $ not to work for a month.
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sounds like you are going to be part of a grand jury.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
HOCKEYCOACH
f/v Fin-ish Work?

Karl, I've done duty from here in Truro to Barbstable, but Falmouth, I'd rather drive to Boston. It's like when I have to work in Chatham. It suks, there's no easy way to get to Chatham or Falmouth. I call in dead for jury duty.
HOCKEYCOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
ktugboat42

Orleans is a great place for jury duty. Sign in, go home, come back to court house for a half hour, go to lunch. Plus i was selected as foreman and got to say "GUILTY AS CHARGED"

Pete
ktugboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
Backbeach Jake

Ive been four or five times. The last time my boss asked why I didn't try to get out of it. I told him that if those kids could go to Iraq, then I could suck it up and go to JD. Glad I don't work for that jerk anymore.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
fishonnelsons

Geez Karl, if I had known you were possibly going to be on the jury I would've told my lawyer to plead out now and take the inevitable!!
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
FishermanTim

The old system was much more interesting.
back in '82 I got called for jury duty in downtown Boston (Suffolk Couty) and back then when you call duty it was for one month, not one day.
Needless to say, I got out of work for the month of July, and since most judges took their vacations during the summer months, I got out early a lot of times. During that month I was picked to 2 trials.
The best part was that you were paid (I believe) $50.00 a day for the duty, and I was also paid from my regular job.
Of course, now it's one day or one trial, and you only get paid if it last more than 3 days.
I have jury duty in February (got the notice a couple of weeks back), and I am not shirky my civic resposibility. I love seeing how the system ACTUALLY works, not how it works on TV.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Federal garnd jury in Boston is for eighteen months. Every Friday for eighteen months. Ouch. New a 75 year old woman who took the train in for that long a period of time.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
.... Orleans... they won't call me there..... we uh... "share" .....clientle..

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I gatta go 30 miles, up to Newburyport for my civic duty on Jan 3..........

Couldn't have gotten something closer like Salem, or even Lynn???? I had already postponed from July and had requested Dec 24........... now I have to take what they give me....
NBPT. is a good one to draw, I've had it twice.... beats the hell out of Lowell...been there too!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Be happy you aren't going to Brockton like I am in Jan.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
jim mullen
A Connecticut Surfcaster

Hi, Feel lucky that you are not on the other side.

Happy Holidays
Jim
jim mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mullen View Post
Hi, Feel lucky that you are not on the other side.

Happy Holidays
Jim
very true.

Karl-I will trade you for Springfield or Holyoke......
I dont mind Jury duty itself....its more the location.

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Raven

i got free of it...in a no need to show.... and we'll call you again someday.... voice message....

now JPI ain't gotta worry bout a death penalty trial anymore.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

now JPI ain't gotta worry bout a death penalty trial anymore.
You been readin while MIA.

Only time i'd worry if it was me on trial.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Flaptail

Two years ago I got called for jury duty in Orleans. 90 degrees in the shade and I was a train wreck from the night before at an office cookout. 1 out of 8 cases went to trial and guess who got picked and on top of it all I was picked jury foreman.

Interesting but scary experience as a number of my fellow jurors were not that smart. I had to have one expelled and the alternate brought in. We were all from upper Cape but sent to Orleans.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #21
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Guy down the cape last week told the judge he was a homophobic, lying racist to get out of jury duty. Judge Nickerson held him in cointempt all day in the lockup. More to follow.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #22
fishbones

I was recently scheduled for JD in New Bedford for late January and had it switched to May. I have no problem serving on a jury, but if I'm going to serve I'm heading out fishing at the end of the day. I had to go just over 3 years ago in Dedham, but was sent home. One of the guys there got out of it by telling them he would make a great juror because he can tell if someone is guilty by looking at them. I don't know if it was a ploy to get out of it, or if he was really that dumb.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
fishbones

So I just got selected for jury duty again! Have to go to Fall River on Aug. 1, which is a week I'm suposed to be taking off for vacation. The last one from May 2008 got pushed back to 7/31/08. Now I have to go exactly 3 years and 1 day later. They must have me on some kind of list to call every 3 years. This is the 3rd time in less than 10 years and 4th time overall for me.

The last 2 times I was picked and then dismissed when they questioned the group of us. Once because a hospital was being sued and I used to work for one and the other time because the prosecutor knew my dad, who's a defense attorney. The first time I had jury duty, they never called my group in and I was sent home.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Sounds like you are going to be part of a grand jury.
Federal grand jury generally meets every Friday for 18 months. 30 day jury duty is being on call in the trial pool I would bet. Sorry to hear this. New a lady who was 77 at the time did grand jury in Boston for the es. ntire 18 months, taking the train into south station every day. I haven't had it in a long time. Knock on wood.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I'm up again.... June 15 in Salem

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
FishermanTim

I had duty last month. Was called for Rozbury District Court in Dudley Square. I did not reschedule, or relocate. My family gave me the "What? Are you crazy of something?" and I told them that I don't care where I serve, but that I can serve as my civic duty.
Bottom line: there were 26-28 cases pending for the day and all but one settled thru a plea deal. The last one was held over for a later date. We got out by 3:00 and I met some truly interesting people as well!

Back in the 80's when I got called the first time, I spend one whole month (I think it was either June or August) having to report to the "pool". I was called for 2 cases and was foreman on the first one.

All I can say is that it sure beats the heck out of the TV court room dramas when you're actually sitting in a court room listening to the proceedings!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
So I just got selected for jury duty again! Have to go to Fall River on Aug. 1, which is a week I'm suposed to be taking off for vacation. The last one from May 2008 got pushed back to 7/31/08. Now I have to go exactly 3 years and 1 day later. They must have me on some kind of list to call every 3 years. This is the 3rd time in less than 10 years and 4th time overall for me.

The last 2 times I was picked and then dismissed when they questioned the group of us. Once because a hospital was being sued and I used to work for one and the other time because the prosecutor knew my dad, who's a defense attorney. The first time I had jury duty, they never called my group in and I was sent home.

You can get one automatic postponement from the Commissioner of Jurors. There should be a section on your jury summons that you can fill out and send back.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
You can get one automatic postponement from the Commissioner of Jurors. There should be a section on your jury summons that you can fill out and send back.
I think I'll just go on 8/1. Summer is pretty slow for me at work and my boss has no problem with me taking a day off for JD. If I postpone it, I could get stuck with a day that's worse schedule wise.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio