Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
stripermaineiac

I've got a couple out in the shop with lowriders on them. Emblem 5500 and one Sustain 8000. Both love the lowriders. SSU132 m and arra 1322. Doing a couple 7 different Centurys with the K frames. work nice once you get the spacing set.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #32
pbadad

The stripper guide being out further than what looks normal is tough to swallow. I also wonder about the lack of butt power when the stripper is out beyond 36".

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #33
stripermaineiac

don't worr about it with the lowriders. They work fine with the proper setup. Just be carefull with the concept spacing and reel size. It is very reel spacific. If you build the rod for a sustain 5000 and then put an Emblem 5500 on it your gonna have some problems. lots of people misunderstand the concept idea. its designed for a rod and reel mate. replacement reel should have a spool diameter that is as close as possible for the original set up.With many of the guides out there it's best to use a combination of ideas or theorys to get a good setup. Size ,spacing ,reversed guides,line type,reel size action ,line test and some flexability of use all need to be taken into consideration. It's a reare angler that can afford a bunch of rods that only take one size reel.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #34
Saltheart

I believe the day of the lowriders is over. The new KW's are an all around better guide IMO. There is still a gap in application for some rod /reel combinations until the KW--L sizes appear but I see no logical reason to use LR's anymore.

Also if you read what I write in the rodboard on SOL , you know that I am also convinced the placement of the stripper should be made almost independently of the placement of the rest of the guides when using the NGC method to back up towards the reel from the choker to decide sizes and placement.

Anyway , I think you pay a huge penalty in weight and rod "splinting" to use the Low Riders. I never liked using them near the tip so switched to a different guide frame style for the smallest guide (usually switched to the MN) and now that the KW are available with the anti fouling frames , I see Fuji discontinuing the Low Riders soon enough.

Just one opinion though. many others may not agree

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
stripermaineiac

Switching to lighter guides near the tip sure does help maintain the true action of the rod. The only ones I'd be leary with doing it on are some of the heavier Canal sticks that are requested due to the weakness of the overall guide and the load put on them by heavy line a big fish and huge current. I've done a couple rebuilds over the yrs due to guide failure in extreme situation. A big fish in the canal sure fits that catagory.I'm still not sold on the idea of any one guide no longer having a use. The Japan fishing market has been using smaller guides for a very long time very effectively and the world distance casting market all seem to go for the smaller guides more than 50mm due to the way they control the line better. Some of them have been using smaller guides since the 70's.Look at J. Holdens book and see what's being used in Austalia,Britain,Germany and New Zealand.Loads of great ideas out there and we still have a lot to learn here.Before I put my ist guide to a Century I spent 3 weeks talking to builders in all those places via email. WOW talk about going back to school. It made me wonder about some of my own close mindednes of the last 40 yrs of rod building.Not all was bad but there are some things I sure missed the boat on.With the amount of mono left out there the big metal guides still have a few places left.Ron

Last edited by stripermaineiac; 05-18-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #36
Saltheart

I agree small guides are not out of fashion , in fact they are more in fashion every day. Small guides and Low Riders are not linked in any way IMO.

Yes , There are still many people who do it with 25 LB Ande pink mono and huge untapered spools with no upsweep that in fact may benefit form the old wire guides.

A real freak of a guide is the 50J KW. Not only is it obviously a 50 mm ring but its height is phenominal.

Saltheart
Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #37
stripermaineiac

That thing reminds me of the old 40 an 50 HH that fuji made and that huge 75mm hialoy.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #38
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Just started on an 11' medium action SSU blank that will have full burl cork rear grips and fore grips. I have a Daiwa 5500 to put on it. Dont have the cork all on it as yet, but should tonight.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #39
Saltheart

You should post pictures of the grips when done. Are you gluing cork rinks yourself or are the cork grip sections premade?

Saltheart
Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #40
Smulax

I just finished my first surf rod build. It is a rebuilt ugly stick. I got a lot of help from double runner.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Dec wrap.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	46959

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished rod.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	46960
Smulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #41
stripermaineiac

Nice job.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
Saltheart

Looks great!!

Saltheart
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #43
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
The stripper guide being out further than what looks normal is tough to swallow. I also wonder about the lack of butt power when the stripper is out beyond 36".
Sometimes with Low Riders the stripper is as far out as 47 inches!

Saltheart
Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
paradoxjim

I've got two on the bench and one down by the lathe getting fitted with flocked grips. I've got an 8'6" salmon blank with a fish pattern half done for a butt wrap, a tiger between the split (flocked) grips and no guides. Need to get it done soon - the snowbird that it's being built for will be returning north soon. Have a baitcaster for my son with dragon scales between the spits needing dragon scales in front of the fore grip (I mount the grips after the wrap is done) and guides. It too, must be done soon; the boat should be ready soon and the fluke are already in! The one in the basement is for me - for whenever I get to it. Rebuilds, let's not talk about rebuilds!
paradoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote