Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Does anyone, who is afraid of the vision of 1984 - "Big Brother is Watching"....Have a MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter Acount.....makes it pretty easy

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Does anyone, who is afraid of the vision of 1984 - "Big Brother is Watching"....Have a MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter Acount.....makes it pretty easy
There's a difference between the voluntary dissemination of personal information and a complete invasion of privacy through illegal search and surveillance techniques.

I have a Facebook and Twitter account. However, I filter the information made available on there based to broad info that is pretty readily available through other means. On the other hand, I do not post to Facebook about my personal browsing habits, purchases on Amazon, the restaurants I eat at, every location I go to and the people I associate with on a daily basis.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Funny - 1984 (the year) I was living overseas where we had to be vigilant , aware, and prepared in case some yahoo terrorist, communist, (Bader Meinhof/RAF/ Dem Greeks) or terrorist, islamic militant (Libya anyone), or dictator (Libya two strikes) because people were blowing things up.

So while it is easy to scream Big Brother, there is also a bit of prudence that rational people should take to be aware and prepared.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Slingah

Live at Leeds
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Throw in credit card records, EZ Pass, and now Govt. wanting everyones
health records your pretty much covered.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
There's a difference between the voluntary dissemination of personal information and a complete invasion of privacy through illegal search and surveillance techniques.
Oh, I know there's a difference....I just get a kick out of the fact that people used to freak out about Big Brother watching when home computers were in there infancy.....and now everyone volunteers everything you ever wanted to know about them to the entire world w/ out a second thought.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Oh, I know there's a difference....I just get a kick out of the fact that people used to freak out about Big Brother watching when home computers were in there infancy.....and now everyone volunteers everything you ever wanted to know about them to the entire world w/ out a second thought.

We had a Co-Op student one time in the Arkitext depahtment that used to disconnect the network cable AND POWER cable every night before leaving work because he felt the NSA and other guvmint entities were monitoring his computer at night when no one was looking. And that they were so good they could infiltrate the computer over the power cord.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: