Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim all guns in Chicago start out as legal guns.

Access and quantity are the big issues and the next are weapon types

Why does only the United States have this gun violence problem?

There is a reason and Mental heath isn’t that reason
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
i agree access and quantity are a big issue. i agree 100%.

what do we do about it? i honestly don’t know. we can’t confiscate hundreds of millions of guns. literally hundreds of millions. which makes
me wonder what gun laws will
do.

i don’t know why you can’t concede that mental health is part of it. i guess because the dnc hasn’t ordered you to believe it.

we’re a free country of 330 million people. there’s a very small number of very sick
folks, and a ton of guns.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i agree access and quantity are a big issue. i agree 100%.

what do we do about it? i honestly don’t know. we can’t confiscate hundreds of millions of guns. literally hundreds of millions. which makes
me wonder what gun laws will
do.

i don’t know why you can’t concede that mental health is part of it. i guess because the dnc hasn’t ordered you to believe it.

we’re a free country of 330 million people. there’s a very small number of very sick
folks, and a ton of guns.
Any one who kills children has MH issues that’s obvious and not up to debate

Please don’t go down the confiscate nonsense the right loves to preach

But when an 18 year old buys 2 ARs and 350 rounds over 3 days and there’s no red flag or waiting period in Texas .. these are basic laws needed

But In the state of Texas, a mandatory 24-hour waiting period is required for all abortions. The waiting period begins at your in-office consultation and ultrasound visit. A mandatory ultrasound is also required by law under

Texas Priorities are clear
Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
In 2008 Justice Antonin Scalia introduced another interpretation that gun proponents seize on to argue against gun control. He wrote the Supreme Court decision that individuals have the right to own firearms. But Scalia also stated, “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” He approved of “laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”
There can be some qualifications, but the default should be shall issue unless there is a reason not to.

Quote:
Only gun dealers with a Federal Firearms License are required to do a background check before selling a gun in Texas, not private sellers. Texas has NO state requirement for more comprehensive background checks when purchasing a firearm. Therefore, persons prohibited from owning firearms can easily obtain a gun - on the internet, at a gun show, even from a private seller out of the trunk of a car.
In states like Texas with no state-required background check, research has shown that 57% of private gun sales were done with no background check.
Around 80% of all firearms acquired for criminal purposes are obtained through transfers from unlicensed sellers. Including the purchase of his firearm by the Odessa/Midland mass shooter.
Texans overwhelmingly (79%) support universal background checks.

But it’s a mental health problem
It's a Mental Health AND a Culture Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
what would the background check have shown in this case? cause to deny him a gun?

Chicago has tough gun laws. How’s that working out?

i’m not saying we do nothing.
Doesn't work in Chicago.

RI did one thing sensible, they recently changed it to the town where you live runs the background check, not the town where the shop is.

Quote:
Jim all guns in Chicago start out as legal guns.

Access and quantity are the big issues and the next are weapon types

Why does only the United States have this gun violence problem?

There is a reason and Mental heath isn’t that reason

Lots of stolen guns in Chicago but it is NEVER the criminal's fault.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-26-2022, 04:01 AM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There can be some qualifications, but the default should be shall issue unless there is a reason not to.

Doesn't work in Chicago.

RI did one thing sensible, they recently changed it to the town where you live runs the background check, not the town where the shop is.

It’s always the criminals fault

It’s never a criminals fault is just a conservatives 2a talking point

And I agree Mental Health AND a Culture Problem. Plus an a availability problem

In Texas you need to be 21 for a hand gun but 18 for any long rifle

The majority of responsible gun owners want better gun control but for some reason Republicans ignore those poll?

Have as many guns as you like they should all be registered. And have a purchase history or come with a title

Only 11 States Require Gun Owners to Report Stolen Weapons to Police

California
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Illinois
Maryland (handguns and assault weapons only)
Massachusetts
Michigan (thefts only)
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Rhode Island An DC

This 11 could be more this was dated 2017. But I doubt it

researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities estimated that as many as 380,000 weapons are lost or stolen each

More children died by guns than car crashes in 2020, for the first time in decades

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-car-crashes/

Clearly this study can’t blame it all on just mental health.

People who shoot up schools or serial killers yes Mental heath is a huge factor in their crimes I don’t think that’s debatable but some how the weapons the use isn’t debatable for many on the right as even a factor in their crimes?
Old 05-26-2022, 05:15 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Doesn't work in Chicago.

no, it sure isn’t working in chicago.

We all need to get better at admitting what works, and expand in that. And admitting what doesn’t work, and either adjusting or doing away with what doesn’t work.

What Guiliani did in NY with gun violence not only worked, it was practically a miracle. But a lot of people won’t admit that, because they don’t like the party he’s in and that he likes Trump.

At the same time, some conservatives need to admit the 2a isn’t limitless. James Madison who wrote it, later banned firearms on campus at the university of VA when he was school president. Which means the guy who wrote it,,meant for the right to be limited. But again ,,if there are 400 million guns already out there, we need to concede that future gun control can at best have a limited impact because we aren’t confiscating them

We all need to set ideology aside, and just look at results honestly. It’s not hard.

and we need to admit that the constitution might be in the way of some things we’d like to do, and that’s ok.