Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I wear the wader/dry top combo when the water temps are cold. The dry top is an absolute must if you are wearing waders in a yak. Some water may trickle in through the neck seal, but for the most part, it's dry and you can manuever enough to get yourself back in.

Now waders with anything other than a dry top is asking for trouble.

The issue is dry tops are uncomfortable and almost strangle you at the neck seal, so guys just wear the waders to keep their butt dry, but if you go over, it's not gonna be easy to get back in. Sure, you can seal off the waders at the waist with a belt, but the belt needs to be so tight it would be really uncomfortable.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
Sure, you can seal off the waders at the waist with a belt, but the belt needs to be so tight

it would be really uncomfortable.

what if the belt was on the outside of the dry top lower so it's not
making you gasp for air... the elastic band belt isn't (doesnt seem) stronger than the water...
gettin in... i hope -to not find out...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
[/B]

what if the belt was on the outside of the dry top lower so it's not
making you gasp for air... the elastic band belt isn't (doesnt seem) stronger than the water...
gettin in... i hope -to not find out...
I wear a wader belt under my dry top as a extra layer of saftey, then I ALSO have an aquaskinz belt that I put on over the dry top, but its a last line of defense in case water gets in through the dry top, the dry top has tight seals on the bottom as well.

Johnny: a wet suit is probably a better option and I would probably go that route if I already owned one, but a lot of experts have confirmed this combo works well

oh I should also note that you should also wear some kind of thermals as a base layer that work even when wet. I have mysteriosos that I wear under all of this. Believe it or not, they were designed to use as a base layer of a wet suit!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
JFigliuolo

When the water is cold... like now, I wear waders/dry top/belt and a conventional PFD. I am confident in it's performance should I dump.

When the water gets warmer, I go over to the wetsuit... 5 Mil and a surf top. and an INFLATABLE PFD

Summer, shorts, t-shirt and the inflatable.

Do whatever YOU think is safe.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
wheresmy50

Everyone wears waders and a dry top. Couldn't agree more with JF.

If you're really concerned, get a breathable dry suit. I can't even imagine how much a person would sweat kayaking in a wetsuit, but it would be impressive if the wind and waves weren't cooperating. Bring lots of water if you plan to go far.

Article 1, Section 9:
No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
Everyone wears waders and a dry top. Couldn't agree more with JF.

If you're really concerned, get a breathable dry suit. I can't even imagine how much a person would sweat kayaking in a wetsuit, but it would be impressive if the wind and waves weren't cooperating. Bring lots of water if you plan to go far.

Wetsuit is actually pretty comfortable. If I get hot I just splash some water down the neck. 99% of the time it's night, so that helps too.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
westhavendave
See you at the beach.

I am very comfortable in my wetsuit. My greatest fear is not self rescue it is getting separated from the boat. Even on the video demo, the guy gets wet to his crotch from being in the water for a minute.
If separated at sea that amount of water will surely increase until you will be as cold as a guy wearing shorts and a T-Shirt. At least a wetsuit has insulating properties that will actually help you if submerged or floating alone. I have had this debate before and speaking from 12 years of yak fishing experience, that I will never wear waders in a kayak again. I made my one mistake and I almost paid the ultimate price, I have had my wader legs filled up to my thighs in 60 degree water in an estuary current where I could not reenter the boat. At the same time I had a 36" bass (she flipped me when she hit while I was off balance) pulling my kayak with the current with the rod in the rod holder upside down. After side stroking with the yak about 50 yds to shore I landed the fish.
To each his own and I hope we all have a great and safe season.
westhavendave is offline   Reply With Quote