Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

GD

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Q1 GDP has just been revised down to 1.9% http://1.usa.gov/3hAL The economy is in deep trouble.
3:24 PM · May 31, 2012·Twitter Web Client

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump is finally getting the economy he created, instead of the one he inherited.
Job growth is slower under President trump than Obama’s last three years. So is stock market growth. And now gdp growth is under 2%. All those folks who attacked Obama on the economy, what do you have to say about a worse one under trump?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Trump is finally getting the economy he created, instead of the one he inherited.
Job growth is slower under President trump than Obama’s last three years. So is stock market growth. And now gdp growth is under 2%. All those folks who attacked Obama on the economy, what do you have to say about a worse one under trump?
who attacked obama regarding the economy?

you’re coming completely un-glued.

a recession is coming. you don’t get unchecked growth for
much more then ten years.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
detbuch

1% of great is way better than 2% of terrible. Normally there is a limit to growth rate. Generally, if the economy grows organically, the rate is much higher in a good recovery, since it's so slow or bad to begin with, and the growth rate tends to slow down over time since the growth will be over already high levels of domestic product. It was expected that GDP rate would slow down for that reason, among others.

The critical factor is not necessarily, nor merely, the rate of growth, but the strength and productivity at any given time in terms of how well off the public is. That's way better now than it was under Obama's policies.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Everyone knew Trump would destroy Obama’s booming economy.

Donald Trump promised that coal and steel would be the beating heart of a revived U.S. economy — a nostalgic vision that helped carry him to victory three years ago in the industrial Midwest.

But a year away from Election Day, that promised renaissance is not materializing and both sectors are faltering in ways that are painfully familiar and politically significant.

Recent data shows manufacturing jobs are disappearing across Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, states critical to Trump’s reelection chances. On Tuesday, Murray Energy, a major mining firm with close ties to the president, became the latest of many coal companies to file for bankruptcy this year, rattling communities across Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. The news followed recent layoffs at a prominent steel manufacturer in northeastern Ohio and General Motors’ final decision this fall to shutter its massive plant at Lordstown, Ohio.

The turmoil in the manufacturing and mining sectors undermines Trump’s claim to a booming economy — the bedrock of his and his Republican allies’ campaign strategy — in places where it matters most.

America's business leaders are growing more worried that the United States will enter a recession by the end of 2020. Their primary fear: protectionist trade policy.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Everyone knew Trump would destroy Obama’s booming economy.

Donald Trump promised that coal and steel would be the beating heart of a revived U.S. economy — a nostalgic vision that helped carry him to victory three years ago in the industrial Midwest.

But a year away from Election Day, that promised renaissance is not materializing and both sectors are faltering in ways that are painfully familiar and politically significant.

Recent data shows manufacturing jobs are disappearing across Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, states critical to Trump’s reelection chances. On Tuesday, Murray Energy, a major mining firm with close ties to the president, became the latest of many coal companies to file for bankruptcy this year, rattling communities across Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. The news followed recent layoffs at a prominent steel manufacturer in northeastern Ohio and General Motors’ final decision this fall to shutter its massive plant at Lordstown, Ohio.

The turmoil in the manufacturing and mining sectors undermines Trump’s claim to a booming economy — the bedrock of his and his Republican allies’ campaign strategy — in places where it matters most.

America's business leaders are growing more worried that the United States will enter a recession by the end of 2020. Their primary fear: protectionist trade policy.
how far off can bread lines be?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
how far off can bread lines be?
I thought everybody in CT was on welfare already, had nothing left to lose and you were funding all of them singlehandedly.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
I thought everybody in CT was on welfare already, had nothing left to lose and you were funding all of them singlehandedly.
it's the only state in the country where poverty rates increased in 2018. the richest state in the nation. hooray!

paul, what grade would
you give the current economic health of the state?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
it's the only state in the country where poverty rates increased in 2018. the richest state in the nation. hooray!

paul, what grade would
you give the current economic health of the state?

the national economy is roaring ( not every single one of us is booming, but the macro
indicators are fine). CT is dying and is drowning in debt. you tell us what that means to you.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

America’s farmers are getting decimated:

Farm bankruptcies surged 24% in September and $33 out of $88 billion in farm income will come from trade aid, disaster assistance, federal subsidies and insurance payments
Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
America’s farmers are getting decimated:

Farm bankruptcies surged 24% in September and $33 out of $88 billion in farm income will come from trade aid, disaster assistance, federal subsidies and insurance payments
the economy is awful. We're in serious trouble. Time to start hoarding cat food.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
The Greatest Economy in American History!
7:38 AM · Oct 30, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

This is true if you don't include 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1955, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996-2000, 04, 05

Lets Go Darwin