Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Jim in CT

climate change alarmists - collateral damage

i read a bit about this Greta Thornberg kid. By the age of 11, she was so obsessed with the doomsday effects of
climate change that she stopped
playing and doing her homework. i see lots of kids in their early 20s saying they have no desire to get
married or have kids or start a career, because the world
is going to end in 12 years. 10 years, whatever the latest fabricated deadline is.

the fanatics are creating a generation of young adults with zero interest in normal, productive things. Meanwhile
Harrison Ford, who also spoke
at the UN on climate change, has
multiple homes and multiple private aircraft. So HE can indulge in all his interests regardless of the impact to the environment, but everyone else is supposed to make sacrifices.

do you ever think of the effect your rhetoric has on impressiomable kids?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i read a bit about this Greta Thornberg kid. By the age of 11, she was so obsessed with the doomsday effects of
climate change that she stopped
playing and doing her homework.
On 20 August 2018, Thunberg, who had just started ninth grade, decided to not attend school until the 2018 Swedish general election on 9 September after the heat waves and wildfires during Sweden's hottest summer in 262 years. Her demands were that the Swedish government reduce carbon emissions in accordance with the Paris Agreement, and she protested by sitting outside the Riksdag every day for three weeks during school hours with the sign Skolstrejk för klimatet (school strike for the climate). She also handed out leaflets that stated: "I am doing this because you adults are #^&#^&#^&#^&ting on my future."
i see lots of kids in their early 20s saying they have no desire to get
married or have kids or start a career, because the world
is going to end in 12 years. 10 years, whatever the latest fabricated deadline is.

Many people say

the fanatics are creating a generation of young adults with zero interest in normal, productive things. Meanwhile
Harrison Ford, who also spoke
at the UN on climate change, has
multiple homes and multiple private aircraft. So HE can indulge in all his interests regardless of the impact to the environment, but everyone else is supposed to make sacrifices.

He probably has a yurt

do you ever think of the effect your rhetoric has on impressiomable kids?
Yes, yours also.

If you are willing to risk the world as we know it, that's your choice.

If we think about climate risks in the same fashion we think about risks in other contexts, we should most certainly hedge—and hedge aggressively—by removing fossil fuels from the economy as quickly as possible.

The big debate in climate science right now isn’t whether or not climate change is occurring—or whether human activity is the main cause. The big debate is about scale: How much change will there be, over how long a time frame, and how large (or small) will be the follow-on effects.

The difference between the low-end and high-end estimates is the difference between a passing event of modest consequence and global environmental and economic convulsion the likes of which we’ve never seen.

The answer is that we can’t be sure. And that’s okay. Because in life you rarely know for certain what’s going to happen next. You plan for a range of outcomes and try to mitigate your exposure to the worst possible risks. There’s an entire economic discipline on this subject. It’s called risk management.

When it comes to managing large-scale risks, straight-forward economics suggests that we ought to take climate change very seriously.

Current administration policy is the opposite on the whole gamut from light bulbs to fuel and just think about how many children are scared of getting windmill cancer.

https://thebulwark.com/what-changed-...limate-change/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
spence

Sounds like she's bringing a lot of attention to what scientists have been saying for some time. Pretty impressive she's only 16.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Pete, i’m concerned about the climate. not to the point where i’m going to tell anyone’s children that there’s no reason to work towards their futures, nor
no reason to look forward to that future. that’s the difference.

i’m sure harrison ford lives in a yurt!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sounds like she's bringing a lot of attention to what scientists have been saying for some time. Pretty impressive she's only 16.
i’m not talking about her speech at the un. when she was 11, her parents said she stopped playing and doing homework, she saw no point, because she believed the apocalypse is around the corner.

is your cause so important, that it’s worth convincing an 11 year old child, that she should
stop playing and doing homework? are you telling your children that? i bet not.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Pete, i’m concerned about the climate.
Yea, you vote for Trump who thinks climate change is a hoax and criticize a girl who's doing an amazing job of bringing attention to an issue with existential ramifications.

Big climate guy you are.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Yea, you vote for Trump who thinks climate change is a hoax and criticize a girl who's doing an amazing job of bringing attention to an issue with existential ramifications.

Big climate guy you are.
It's amazing how you soft peddle extremism.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If it’s all a hoax and sea levels aren’t going to swamp major cities, I guess all the building code changes in Boston and other low lying major cities are just another BS government regulation and over reach. The significant northern migration predicted is likely to happen in the keys at a cost of about a million per person is just crazy talk. First time events like thunder storms in the arctic or polar bears struggling to survive without sea ice to hunt on are just freak events not a trend. The writing has been on the wall for years and Trump skipping the summit talks on climate change is just another step in the wrong direction, we used to be the leader; others will step up until this administration is finally done.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:

Big climate guy you are.
i did not criticize her. i feel
bad that her childhood has been completely stolen by you and your hysterical, totalitarian, constantly-proven-wrong-yet-never-in-doubt, ilk.

you bet i voted for him, and will
do so again. i care about the environment, not to the point where i’m willing to sacrifice our way of
life for no good reason.

i have solar panels and drive a nissan leaf to work every day and love it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:

and criticize a girl who's doing an amazing job of bringing attention to an issue with existential ramifications.
she's a nut
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:

i feel bad that her childhood has been completely stolen by you and your hysterical, totalitarian, constantly-proven-wrong-yet-never-in-doubt, ilk.

they like little mindless activists that they can bus around
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
Jim in CT

got stripers, read my original post. i didn’t say anything was a hoax. i said your side has hijacked the sanity of a little
girl, in order to advance your cause. whether your cause is valid or not, it’s reprehensible. let her be a kid. and think about the consequences of
your rhetoric. i keep hearing that trump should
be aware of the consequences of his rhetoric, maybe lead by example.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
got stripers, read my original post. i didn’t say anything was a hoax. i said your side has hijacked the sanity of a little
girl, in order to advance your cause. whether your cause is valid or not, it’s reprehensible. let her be a kid. and think about the consequences of
your rhetoric.

it's not the first time
Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If it’s all a hoax and sea levels aren’t going to swamp major cities, I guess all the building code changes in Boston and other low lying major cities are just another BS government regulation and over reach. The significant northern migration predicted is likely to happen in the keys at a cost of about a million per person is just crazy talk. First time events like thunder storms in the arctic or polar bears struggling to survive without sea ice to hunt on are just freak events not a trend. The writing has been on the wall for years and Trump skipping the summit talks on climate change is just another step in the wrong direction, we used to be the leader; others will step up until this administration is finally done.
No doubt the rising sea levels will miss the expensive coastal property the Obamas recently bought or were thinking about buying.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-24-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No doubt the rising sea levels will miss the expensive coastal property the Obamas recently bought.
yeah he’s really concerned about climate change and wealth redistribution.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
she's a nut
she was turned into a nut, by the zealots who use her to shield the cause from challenge.

liberals say it’s mean to challenge her. i recall they didn’t have the same tender, protective instincts toward Nick Sandman, a teenager like her who was nonetheless fair game to attack without mercy, because he was guilty of standing in a public space minding his own business.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
Jim in CT

i believe ( whether you agree or not), that the insane taxes and massive debt in the state of CT, threaten the ability of all but the wealthy to live here.

but my kids still play little
league and like to fish and play and do normal kid stuff. they get one childhood, don’t ask them to spend it carrying our water. using her to hide behind specifically because she’s a child, is disgusting and exploitative and makes me more skeptical, not less so, of that agenda. i’d rather hear from a neutral, non ideological, objective, adult scientist.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
i’d rather hear from a neutral, non ideological, objective, adult scientist.
There are plenty of those out there, the problem is many aren't listening. This is why Greta is so upset.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
There are plenty of those out there, the problem is many aren't listening. This is why Greta is so upset.
when she was 11, she was capable of determining that? sure.

there are people who dispute what the zealots say too, spence. i admit i’m not sure what to believe. you believe everything from the left, nothing that’s not from
the left.

are your kids refusing to play and eat and study? saying they’ll never have jobs or families? you respect this girl so much, why aren’t you emulating their example?
Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
when she was 11, she was capable of determining that? sure.
Some kids are pretty advanced for their age. She also has Aspergers which could influence her focus on the subject.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pete, i’m concerned about the climate. not to the point where i’m going to tell anyone’s children that there’s no reason to work towards their futures, nor
no reason to look forward to that future. that’s the difference.

i’m sure harrison ford lives in a yurt!
Jim, I'll guarantee you the vast majority of young people are not that scared of climate change. Certainly no more than are terrified of illegals raping them.
Doing something about climate change does not entail living in a yurt, or getting windmill cancer. It's all incremental and you are doing some conservation with solar panels, a Leaf and you probably have some of those awful LED bulbs that do or don't make Trump look orange. I'm sure there are other things you could do without horribly changing your lifestyle.
If you are like most Americans, a little lifestyle change would probably enable you to live longer, healthier and wealthier.
We are the fattest major country in the world, consume the most energy per person of any large country and rank pretty far down for life expectancy.
But your head is stuck in the sand, that's the difference.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim, I'll guarantee you the vast majority of young people are not that scared of climate change. Certainly no more than are terrified of illegals raping them.
Doing something about climate change does not entail living in a yurt, or getting windmill cancer. It's all incremental and you are doing some conservation with solar panels, a Leaf and you probably have some of those awful LED bulbs that do or don't make Trump look orange. I'm sure there are other things you could do without horribly changing your lifestyle.
If you are like most Americans, a little lifestyle change would probably enable you to live longer, healthier and wealthier.
We are the fattest major country in the world, consume the most energy per person of any large country and rank pretty far down for life expectancy.
i agree most aren’t. but i’ve seen young people who are chugging the kool aid who are hysterical. we should just be careful
pete. for the same reasons that people wish trump would
tone down the rhetoric ( and
you know i’m one of them), we need to be careful about how we present this issue especially to impressionable children. if you want to disagree with that, fine.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
my heads not stuck
in the sand. but i’m not sure my panels are a net positive ( dead birds and eventual disposal of all
that crap), nor my Leaf ( the battery is awful for the environment.

my head isn’t stuck in any sand, you just aren’t used to someone who doesn’t blindly cling to one side or the other. i’ll ask you a question i’ve asked spence 50 times, which he never answers...are there any major policy items, on which you junk liberals are wrong and
conservatives are right? Spence hates that question, because it reveals him for exactly what he is.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
my heads not stuck
in the sand. but i’m not sure my panels are a net positive ( dead birds and eventual disposal of all
that crap), nor my Leaf ( the battery is awful for the environment.

my head isn’t stuck in any sand, you just aren’t used to someone who doesn’t blindly cling to one side or the other. i’ll ask you a question i’ve asked spence 50 times, which he never answers...are there any major policy items, on which you junk liberals are wrong and
conservatives are right? Spence hates that question, because it reveals him for exactly what he is.
The last presidential election was the first I didn’t vote Republican in longer than you have lived.
I am not someone who gets stuck on policy, bipartisan decisions have always worked well in this country and they are typically somewhere in the middle.
Money, power, corporations and lawyers have killed government of the people, by the people and for the people.
I believe we are the only country in the world where you can be fined for plugging two extension cords together, but we can’t figure out how to work together on basic needs from education to infrastructure.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
The last presidential election was the first I didn’t vote Republican in longer than you have lived.
I am not someone who gets stuck on policy, bipartisan decisions have always worked well in this country and they are typically somewhere in the middle.
Money, power, corporations and lawyers have killed government of the people, by the people and for the people.
I believe we are the only country in the world where you can be fined for plugging two extension cords together, but we can’t figure out how to work together on basic needs from education to infrastructure.
problem is, i cant know how you voted. but i see how you post. and all you do here, is attack trump and insult those who don’t think he’s satan.

why did you vote against obama
twice? what policies did he advocate for, for which you think mccain and romney had better ideas?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #26
Sea Dangles

He will make some crap up. Get ready for some hot air.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
He will make some crap up. Get ready for some hot air.
i know.

i feel bad for this girl, like i feel
bad for david hoag. both exploited.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
problem is, i cant know how you voted. but i see how you post. and all you do here, is attack trump and insult those who don’t think he’s satan.

why did you vote against obama
twice? what policies did he advocate for, for which you think mccain and romney had better ideas?
You need to think about who deserves your support.
If you look at Trump’s life you’ll see the pattern.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It's amazing how you soft peddle extremism.
16 year old girl who’s echoing scientific consensus is extreme? You’re a shill.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
16 year old girl who’s echoing scientific consensus is extreme? You’re a shill.
Didn't say she was extreme. You are.