Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

SCORE

I'd hope to hit at least a double for 25k

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/vide...752/index.html
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I was at a benefit auction held by the TPC this week in Norton after a pro-am tourney.

I witnessed 3 people pay $20,000 each to have a one-on-one dinner with the CEO of Stop and Shop. Tell me that isn't ridiculous.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Raven

Thumbs down 20 grand for dinner

then i'd thow my dinner onto his shirt

he's the head stop and shop crook
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
buckman

I like Stop and Shop. I don't think it was the fact that they were having dinner with him as much as a reason to donate to a worthy cause. Seeing how Obama took away most of the tax deduction for the wealthy, I appreciate it even more.
What did you cynics do?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Cool Beans

It's not so much about the dinner, it's peoples support of worthy causes. If you are going to give "X" amount of dollars to a charity, why not do it in this way? It helps in 4 ways, #1 the charity gets the money, and 2-4 a public relations boost for all 3 parties involved (you, the person eating with you and most of all the charity). It makes the news, and increases support and awareness for the charity, which is hugely important, especially in an economic slump.

I like Stop and Shop myself, but usually shop the sales as they always have good deals in the meat department, often beating the Navy Commissary prices and quality.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
It's not so much about the dinner, it's peoples support of worthy causes. If you are going to give "X" amount of dollars to a charity, why not do it in this way? It helps in 4 ways, #1 the charity gets the money, and 2-4 a public relations boost for all 3 parties involved (you, the person eating with you and most of all the charity). It makes the news, and increases support and awareness for the charity, which is hugely important, especially in an economic slump
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I like Stop and Shop. I don't think it was the fact that they were having dinner with him as much as a reason to donate to a worthy cause. Seeing how Obama took away most of the tax deduction for the wealthy, I appreciate it even more.
What did you cynics do?
Having been there, I have no doubt it was 100% about the dinner. The three people that paid the $20,000/each were executives of companies that are distributors to S&S. That $20,000 may have bought them an aisle end-cap for a week.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I was at a benefit auction held by the TPC this week in Norton after a pro-am tourney.

I witnessed 3 people pay $20,000 each to have a one-on-one dinner with the CEO of Stop and Shop. Tell me that isn't ridiculous.
a

The guy is an a..
Old 09-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
a

The guy is an a..
So I have heard.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Cool Beans

Current bid for dinner for 5 with Sarah Palin is $38,166.60! WIth 8 more days of bidding, do you think it will reach 100K?

Karl Rove is in a distant second with $11,100.00

ride_2_recovery_store eBay Store About My Store

100% of proceeds from this auction will benefit the Ride 2 Recovery program whose mission is to improve the health and wellness of wounded warriors by providing a life changing experience that can impact their lives forever.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Cool Beans

Funny thing is the guests will be vetted better than those Obama gives senior posts too.

"A background check for all attendees is mandatory. Failure to pass the background check will result in the winner forfeiting the experience and a refund given. The dinner experience with Sarah Palin will take place at a site to be determined and at a mutually agreed upon time and date to be determined by Ms. Palin and the winning bidder. Ms Palin may bring up to three guests of her own. The dinner will be paid for by the seller. There are no age restrictions but anyone under 16-years-old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Winner may take personal photos and allowed to bring one item of reasonable size i.e. no larger than what can be carried by hand (t-shirts, books, magazines, etc.) The decision to sign the item will ultimately be up to Ms. Palin. Respect for Ms. Palin and her guest(s) is expected at all times. Inappropriate behavior will result in the conclusion of the experience with no refund."
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Will she be wearing clothes?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

lol it was a chick that won it so unless she's a carpet muncher I would say so
Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Joe

If you're looking to get some premium isle space in Stop & Shop, a face-to-face chance to pitch the CEO directly would be well worth 20K. There are some really effective sales people for whom getting the meeting is all they need.
I know a woman who sells direct marketing to laser eye surgeons, when she has a big fish she says, "Time to break out the fishnets."

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Joe

Very true - poor bastards get their heads stuck and can't move.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

John I'd be willing to bet those three people that bid $20,000.00 to have dinner with the CEO of S & S (stop & steal) all work for the company and were given that 20K to win the dinner (or as much as it took).

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
John I'd be willing to bet those three people that bid $20,000.00 to have dinner with the CEO of S & S (stop & steal) all work for the company and were given that 20K to win the dinner (or as much as it took).
I believe all 3 were higher-ups for direct vendors to S & S. $20,000 probably bought them some shelf space on the end of an aisle.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
scottw

I'm confused JD, did the evil CEO get to keep the $60,000 or did the charity get the $60,000?

I witnessed 3 people pay $20,000 each to have a one-on-one dinner with the CEO of Stop and Shop.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm confused JD, did the evil CEO get to keep the $60,000 or did the charity get the $60,000?

I witnessed 3 people pay $20,000 each to have a one-on-one dinner with the CEO of Stop and Shop.
Don't believe I said anything about the CEO. Many others have commented on him though.

I just said that 3 separate people paid $20,000 for dinner with him.

So where does the "evil CEO" comment develop from?