Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

So, what's on the bench?

Still working on a fluke rod re-wrap for a friend that I started 2 years ago. Having a hard time finding the motivation on it. Got a couple re-wraps for myslef if I feel the need this winter, a 1201M for a friend and a treat for myself this winter; an 11' St. Croix Legend. Still toying with what guides I am going to put on the Legend. Was thinking lowriders, but didn't have a reason other than the fact that I never used them before. Now kind of thinking about the K frames after talking at length with my rod building mentor, Seawolf.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

Almost done a 1209, Good price on a Amtac blank from Mike at cape cod tackle years ago. Built conv for the canal been a long time for me and the reel on top but you never know, Rod is on the left just needs Butt wrap but it does look good plain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rods 001.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	44771  

Last edited by DRUMCORPFAN; 02-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: spelling..

NIGHTSTALKER
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

1209 pic..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1209 002.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	44772  

NIGHTSTALKER
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Saltheart

I'm doing a standup tuna acid wrap and a few lami 4 piece fly rods. I also have a lami 1084 two piece blank I have been sitting on for years now. I am thinking of doing that spinner but may decide to do it for something like a Calcutta 400.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Doublerunner
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Still working on a fluke rod re-wrap for a friend that I started 2 years ago. Having a hard time finding the motivation on it. Got a couple re-wraps for myslef if I feel the need this winter, a 1201M for a friend and a treat for myself this winter; an 11' St. Croix Legend. Still toying with what guides I am going to put on the Legend. Was thinking lowriders, but didn't have a reason other than the fact that I never used them before. Now kind of thinking about the K frames after talking at length with my rod building mentor, Seawolf.
Go with the K frames

Just finished building a super surf with a super sweet dec wrap and weave in a 9/11 theme. Currently working on a 13' and an 11' AFAW and a 10' Lami gsb. After that have a couple of older fiberglass blanks to re-build on

Enjoy the Journey
Doublerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Flyrods are one thing I have yet to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I'm doing a standup tuna acid wrap and a few lami 4 piece fly rods. I also have a lami 1084 two piece blank I have been sitting on for years now. I am thinking of doing that spinner but may decide to do it for something like a Calcutta 400.
I am leaning towards the K's now. The plan is to do a "cast off " of sorts with the different guide layouts, Both myself and SW are wrapping on the 11' legend, so we are going to a spend a day testing the different layouts against each other. We will then make our final guide choices based on our findings of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Go with the K frames

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Goose

Doing a 700H calstar, tuna spinning rod...trying knew things.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

9.5 foot 4 wt for Euro Nymphin
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
zimmy

1322 spinning and an all-star 1209 spinning for myself (cause really, I NEED another one ; all-star 1267 for a friend; re-wrap a 1201m, which is cut to 9 1/2; repair/1-piece my dad's gsb 136 2m that broke at the ferrel, but lami wouldn't replace. More blanks and re-wraps on the shelf, but they have to wait till next winter.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
saltfly

Stripping flyrod grips and hardware and redoing the cork.Turning the grips on a lathe in the shed.Converted a 10' 7wt singlehander to a 2hand switchrod for Hardy.Rehabbing spinning rods for a few friends.Now that March is around the corner the phone will start ringing right through May for all those that "need it now"[every year].
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
beamie

Have an igfa 80 and a 50-80 standup to finish.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Planning on doing more beach fishing this year, so I just picked up a GSB1201L blank and will be tying up a nice spinner for myself soon. I also got the new style anti fouling alconite guides to try out too. Going to use a NGC layout with Numbskull's guide layout...40-25-16-10-8-8-8-8 and see how she does.

Last edited by Back Beach; 03-02-2011 at 03:43 PM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
Planning on doing more beach fishing this year, so I just picked up a GSB1201L blank and will be tying up a nice spinner for myself soon. I also got the new style anti fouling alconite guides to try out too. Going to use a NGC layout with Numbskull's guide layout...40-25-16-10-8-8-8-8 and see how she does.
Reconsider, this build is the nutz if your reel spool isn't too big.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...lowriders.html

If you want I can bring it to TCTFN and you can give it a spin.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Looks like I just added another rod to this winter's list; a cod jigging rod for a trip in the end of April. Makes sense, buy a reel and wrap a rod for a trip I will take maybe once a year.

- a wise man.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Reconsider, this build is the nutz if your reel spool isn't too big.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...lowriders.html

If you want I can bring it to TCTFN and you can give it a spin.
I built my 1205 similar to that and it is awesome. I got tldgbs, which are a single foot sold in japan and started with a 20 lc, but other than that... basically same set up. No issues at all with the single foot and had several 30 lb range fish on it in canal current with it w/out a shred of problems with the single foots. I agree with Numby that you should consider it, especially with a 1201l

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
numbskull

Be careful, though. The first guide's size and location is reel spool size dependant. You'll need to test cast.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Hopefully picking up a R Arra 1322 for a conventional setup for myself next weekend. Then getting it on the bench and finished up by May 1.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Working on a GSB 1201M this weekend for a friend. Wrapping it BMNAG / NGC layout. Did the test casting and butt wrap yesterday, guides are going on today. I really like the way it is coming out and may have to wrap my spare 1201M "just in case" blank for myself now.

- a wise man.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Scratch the 120L from my "to do" list. I got rid of the blank and am now building a CTS PJ1006 thanks to my attendance at the RISSA show.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Mike, what rating CTS blank is that? I checked them out in Jersey, but didn't like the 50/50 split. I was looking at the 11' 3 - 8 ounce (I think) but ended up getting the 11' St. Croix Legend for my heavy plugging duties. Just got word the blank arrived yesterday and I'll be picking that up in a few days. Can't wait to start that build!

- a wise man.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Very good video from the Surfcaster's Journal on the concept guide layout. Lou's way of setting up the reduction guides is way easier than my method of laying the rod ont he floor and finding a straight edge long enough to work.

- a wise man.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #22
numbskull

Good God, what I mess I've made. Started thinking I'd wrap up a 1321M spinner and somehow that has lead to stripping the 1321L (to move the reel seat), tearing down a 120mh and 1205 to swap spinner to conventional and vice versa, and I'm still lusting after a medium weight 10 foot spinner, either a CTS, Century, or SSU1201m. Four more sets of titanium......and hell it is probably time for a rod lathe...... ...where does it end?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
numbskull

Quote:
Mike, what rating CTS blank is that?
It is the PJ1006.....which stands for "Pajamas 10pm-6am"......and is designed for guys who sleep all night then want to drive around with cool looking equipment on their car. Good choice.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
It is the PJ1006.....which stands for "Pajamas 10pm-6am"......and is designed for guys who sleep all night then want to drive around with cool looking equipment on their car. Good choice.
You caught me.

Figured with the two piece blank I'd hide it in the back seat and sneak around undetected. The signs of my impending demise as a surf man are all there though...not to mention I just bought a new boat...nice knowing you guys.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
Diggin Jiggin

I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I was all set to build an ssu1201m and then I talked to a friend who snapped 2 ssu's casting last year. So for now thats off the list. Either I grab something at msba or I think I may just go with a gsb 120 1m, which I should have built about 10 years ago
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #26
Diggin Jiggin

Well I picked up 2 blanks today, a gsb 120 1M and a Century Stealth (10foot rated 2-4). Boy are the century rods nice. I'd have liked to have brought home 3 or 4 of those.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
pbadad

Quote:
Very good video from the Surfcaster's Journal on the concept guide layout. Lou's way of setting up the reduction guides is way easier than my method of laying the rod ont he floor and finding a straight edge long enough to work.

Thats how I've been doing it. I kinda figured it out on my own. I thought it was a good way but never talked to anyone if there was a better way. Now I feel that I'm in the ballpark. The part that's tuff though is buying a mess of guides for a rod. Once I did a few I keep a few intermediate guides high frames on hand besides the 12,16 20, 25, 30, 40 VLG's. He didn't mention the one point I do is after the guides are tape on in their locale. I do a bullseye site test. Thats when the guide fitting gets crazy swapping to find that look!! On the location of the stripper with the NCG set up, the guide is in the 26-32" locale from the spool face. This really puts the strength of the butt to good use. Not like the old 50MM @ 36" with all that rod w/o a load bearing guide.
Thsi year I built 2-Seeker 1008, 1201M & 1081M. Just finished the under wraps on the last Seeker. For me I built a 8' Allstar schoolie rod from a SW blank with the concept set up w/ single foots. Super light and responsive. Hope to get out and battle some schoolies soon with it.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #28
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Fumbling through the guide spacing on the lowriders for my 11' legend tonight. Finally have some measurements I like and will hit the field for some test casting after work tomorrow.

- a wise man.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #29
pbadad

How many guides will you be using?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #30
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
How many guides will you be using?
Looking at 7 right now. Transition looks good, flex test was nice. Forget how far out I put the collector, but I am kind of hoping I have to pull it back some as that was the only part of the flex test which I didn't like.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

- a wise man.