Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
number2

Choosing a Baitcaster

I am getting ready to buy my first baitcasting reel and I’ve got no idea how to choose one. I have never used one before but I want to learn. I understand that baitcasters allow for a greater amount of control when casting. I don’t know what kinds of features to look for, or the type of materials and construction that make up a quality baitcaster.

I fish mostly freshwater in Florida. Right now I have two rods, one for light tackle and one for all around freshwater and inshore fishing.

For panfish I have a Bass Pro Shop light spinner which was cheap, and while using it for a little while it has turned out to be pretty low quality. It gets sand in it easily and it’s tricky to clean and maintain. I don’t feel like spending much money on light tackle though so it will work for now.

For all around freshwater and inshore fishing I have a Penn 4400ss. It isn’t very fancy but seems to be tough as nails and that’s why I bought it. It is put together simple enough for me to be able to break it down, clean and re-lube it with out much hassle. There is some play with the anti-reverse, but if the spring is adjusted correctly it works alright.

I am going to use the Penn to cast and troll a Hummingbird SmartCast fishfinder when fishing from my kayak. I am looking to get a baitcaster as my primary fishing rod for worms, tubes, and large jigs, as well as crankbaits and topwater stuff occasionally.

What I want in a baitcaster is the features of all the fancy new technology but made tough enough to last along time. I would like one that is made simple enough that I can take it apart and maintain it as needed. I want to stay within the price range of between 100 and 200 dollars. As for the rod I guess I am looking for a 6 & ½ - 7 ft medium.

If anyone has any tips on my perfect baitcaster I am all ears.
number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A good number of Abu Garcia 6500 users around. I have the 6501(lefty) C3. Works for the T&W, easy to service or trick out with mags and drags

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
DZD

Abu in 6500 size gets my vote. I prefer one with magnetic cast control. I also recommend Tica 200 Pisces. I have been using mine for 4 seasons and have had no problems with it. I use it for stripers, blues, fluke, etc. I rinse it after every trip and apply few drops of oil here and there. Look on eBay and you will find a new one at a good price, $60 or less.
DZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Basser

For freshwater fishing if you go with the ruggedness and the reasonable price of the Abu, get the 4600 size. The shimano low profile baitcasters are hard to beat for the friendliest casting and a larger investment.
Basser is offline   Reply With Quote