Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Guppy
User

boot suggestions

These guys are at the end of their rope and my feet froze shoveling,,,, any suggestions out there,,, general use and ice fishing

TIA Gup

Click image for larger version

Name:	time to update.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	57904
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Nebe

Sierra trading post has some nice sorrels at 30% off.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
JohnnySaxatilis

Guppy those are llbean maine hunting boots, no? If so just send them or bring them back they'll give you brand new ones for nuthin

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
Guppy those are llbean maine hunting boots, no? If so just send them or bring them back they'll give you brand new ones for nuthin
Yup.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Have Sorels, with new liners last year, which made a difference. Would like a pair of Mucks too.
LL Bean boots have always been cold for me. Foot seemed to suffer the sweat then freeze cycle without room for liners like Sorels.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking, for everything else I luv em. . I would bring them back for resole. I have a few pairs, heights, and one pair I have had resoled 3 times, 30 bucks I think last time, now good as new and no break in.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking
Was going to say the same thing. Sierra has some good deals and offers a lifetime satisfaction as well. Bean is always a good value.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Sea Dangles

I am very happy with my Muck Arctic boots for winter/shoveling/ice fishing duty.Warm,dry and comfy.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
i second this because the insulation materials are far superior today
than when those were originally made

and you cannot beat the price
plus they don't charge for shipping either
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
iamskippy

Love my sorels
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Wow! Got all excited LOL , just checked their Chippowar and looks like I pulled the (Insolite ? Liner) out at some point (yes, overheating problem). Had a pair of shin high all leather upper felt packs that gave up the ghost a little while back,,, really miss those! 😢
Thanks folks, I'll look into these suggestions.
Bring on San Diego
Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
those boots are not for real cold winter snow walking, for everything else I luv em. . I would bring them back for resole. I have a few pairs, heights, and one pair I have had resoled 3 times, 30 bucks I think last time, now good as new and no break in.
Had no idea that type could be resoled ,,, little late now, I recked um! tanks
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I am very happy with my Muck Arctic boots for winter/shoveling/ice fishing duty.Warm,dry and comfy.
+1
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I wear Red Wing loggers. Treated them with mink oil. Waterproof, warm as toast (too warm above 32 degrees) and lots of support working in the woods cutting. Pricy though $185

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Rockfish9

If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)... I have a pair of Muck Artic pro.... I've used them under every condition from -10 to fall fishing in the boat.... they are warm with minimal socks..poly pro liners and LIGHT wool blend socks will keep you comfortable in any weather becasue they extend above the calf.. slush and snow conditions like i fished in all weekend is no issue.. my old Sorrels would have rolled over and died 10 minutes into the day.... i also recomend a Peet boot dryer... pop them on the dryer at the end of the day and plug it in... the next moring you'll have warm DRY boots to start the day... the remain oder free because the bacteria has no moisture to grow on..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)... I have a pair of Muck Artic pro.... I've used them under every condition from -10 to fall fishing in the boat.... they are warm with minimal socks..poly pro liners and LIGHT wool blend socks will keep you comfortable in any weather becasue they extend above the calf.. slush and snow conditions like i fished in all weekend is no issue.. my old Sorrels would have rolled over and died 10 minutes into the day.... i also recomend a Peet boot dryer... pop them on the dryer at the end of the day and plug it in... the next moring you'll have warm DRY boots to start the day... the remain oder free because the bacteria has no moisture to grow on..
Love those Micky Mouse boots, unless your driving a foreign carwith the peddles close together
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
Love those Micky Mouse boots, unless your driving a foreign carwith the peddles close together
Ha, I used to drive my 5 speed Audi with size 13 Simms wading boots on. Wasn't easy...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
bassballer

Ive been looking for the Sorel 1964 Premium but they dont have my size anywhere they are on sale. been looking for weeks. Might have to pay full price i guess. Looking for a 11-12 if anyone spots one.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
If you want warm... dry comfortsble feet for ice fishing, you cannot beat Muck boots( unless you find an old pair of Arm surplus "mickey mouse" boots)...
LOL No thanks on the Mickey Mouse boots,,, stopped wearing them late 60's,,, gave m back to Uncle Sam 😃😃
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
LOL No thanks on the Mickey Mouse boots,,, stopped wearing them late 60's,,, gave m back to Uncle Sam ����
Yup... I believe the word we used to discribe them was "clodhoppers"... they were almost like wearing snow shoes.. the Mucks are much more stream lined and 1/3 the weight... if you want more muck boot testimionials go on iceshanty and do a search...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #21
Chunkah

Love my Muck boots. Waterproof, great on the canal rocks, and great in the snow. My favorite pair of shoes.

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #22
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
X2
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
maddog2020

Most of the pac style boots w/ rubber bottoms and wool/felt liners are pretty good. (Sorel & Baffin are excellent) Those UGLY & bulky Mickey Mouse boots are awesome!! I love the ones I have that don't have the valve. I think I got them a while back from the Sportsman's Den.

I have some other Hodgman's boots on clearance a while back as well which used some harden screw on spikes on the bottom - I wear these exclusively when I snow blow !! I never slip and they are warm. I don't think they make them any more.

You can screw in short sheet metal screw into the sole - careful not to puncture the inner part AND that if you are walking you don't feel it under your foot. An insole will take care of it. The hex heads work best!! To remove use vise grips when worn out.

BEST to have too much room than not enough room in your boots so the warm air can move around. You can also throw in a hand warmer (dry chemical kind) in each foot to be toasty (when I use to hunt in bitter cold I did this).

Good luck.
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
Guppy
User

Happy feet.

Went with Sorels... Couldn't find them anywhere in stock then come to find out they where right down the street in Harwich,dah,, good $ also,,,
Test run tomorrow,, ice fishing!
Thanks for the input folks
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Picked up a pair of Bogs ultra highs. Similar to Mucks, I believe. Stayed warm and dry in very wet conditions the other day.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote