Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinncognito View Post
I gotta ask, have you watched any of the games and if so, does it make you appreciate hockey more or less so than other sports you are a fan of?
Thanks for the response.

My family all played basketball and baseball so other than screwing around a few times on ponds or playing street hockey, I didn't really grow up with hockey - my town's high school didn't have a team either.

I always watch the playoffs b/c I think its a much faster, cleaner, more exciting game than the regular season. I feel the it becomes similar to the Olympic game (I know they have different size rinks). I think the change from the hockey reg. season to the playoffs is more dramatic than any other sport. I think the refs. call it tighter so less fighting and the game seems faster. I don't think you see as dramatic of difference in the other sports b/t the reg. and playoff system.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #32
Mr. Sandman

Re: eye for eye punishment.

I have heard this debated on the NHL channel and on the XM hockey radio channel. They (the NHL) does not like this idea. They are afraid it will take hitting out of the game.
Personally, I think if you make an ILLEAGAL HIT and it injures someone, you should be out for as long as the other player is out...AND an amount equal to your salary is redirected to the injured player. This money comes half from the player and half from the team your on. Moreover you can replace your injured player with another player right away. (ie...Seguin could have gone into the line up for Horton)
This will take head hits out for good. IMO for it to really stop there has to be money involved, a few games suspension or a minor fine is no penalty...just ask savard or crosby.
If they want to have the players themselves throttle back the only way you can do that is to have no helmets. The equipment you have today makes you feel like a warrior. They will not stop unless you remove their gear or take money from them. Game misconducts are a joke...they still get their check each month whether they play or not.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #33
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

marchant makes kenny "the rat" linsman looks like a choir boy! i love this kid!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #34
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A solid rout... Thomas is the one making history. I would hate Marchand if he were on another team... Too much cheap stick work. If he keeps it up (the cheap stuff) he will get his... Good to see hometown boy get between the pipes, after the game was in hand. He was awesome as a HS freshman here.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #35
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

So just two more wins and we see a hockey championship. Hard to believe they are thisclose after all these years.

The big questions:

1. Can the Bruins continue the offensive assault, defensive dominance and physical play in Vancouver?

2. Will Vancover make a change in net or stick with Luongo?

3. Is the loss of two key defenseman too much to overcome for Vancouver?

My thoughts-

1.- YES!- They can taste it now and will be drinking from th Cup when all is said and done.

2.- NO! Despite the impressive back-up goalie, they will go back to Luongo but with a short leash and a quick hook if he gives up an early one.

3.- YES! The Bruins took full advantage of the weakened defense and will likely continue to.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #36
NE-Stripes

Quote:
So just two more wins and we see a hockey championship. Hard to believe they are thisclose after all these years.

The big questions:

1. Can the Bruins continue the offensive assault, defensive dominance and physical play in Vancouver?

My thoughts-

1.- YES!- They can taste it now and will be drinking from th Cup when all is said and done.

2.- NO! Despite the impressive back-up goalie, they will go back to Luongo but with a short leash and a quick hook if he gives up an early one.

3.- YES! The Bruins took full advantage of the weakened defense and will likely continue to.

I agree totally with this, I believe the Cunucks true colors have been revealed and are now desperate hense the activation of Tanner Glass and the fact their team captain will not stand up to the smallest Bruin Brad Marchand. When a rookie has more guts than your team captain you have problems.
NE-Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #37
Mr. Sandman

Who's your Daddy?

If they play like that...they will indeed take this damn thing. And I would love it. If they win I plan to call in to the NHL channel and rip them a new ahole. I am tired of hearing...
No one can beat Vancouvers awesome power play
No east team can even compete with the west
The canucks have way more talent
The twins can smoke you
Kessler will bury you
Vancouver's defense is air tight
Looongo's better than TT because he is more structured
The B's are clearly a long shot

Yeah...well you forgot one thing....when you hit them they they play like #^&#^&#^&#^& and the B's mopped them up at home and nearly won the cup in the last 4 games. IMO the 1st two could have gone to the B's as well. Hell, The first game was won by a bad call by the ref and the second game was a freak play in OT, either game could have gone our way. The games in Boston were blow outs.

We need to smoke them tomorrow right at the drop of the puck and take all the life out of that building and get Loooongo pull after 2 quick ones.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
FishermanTim

You know you're in trouble when you (Luongo) swat th puck off your/our player and it goes in for a goal.

I loved the minor scuffle tha Thomas had near the end, when he had his stick whacked out of his hands, and returned the favor!
Somehow starting a fight with a goalie is a losing proposition from the get-go!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
eskimo

Quote:

The big questions:

My thoughts-

1. Yes, if they come out ready. The bruins might not have that elite superstar but beyond the praise you get with a superstar what do you have when that player takes a back seat? A team that lacks offense. The bruins have the depth they need so when one line isn't clicking another line can step up.

2. AV will keep Luongo in net. They are thinking he turned things around in previous series after a couple of blow outs and they think he will do it again. That first goal is everything.

3. If the Bruins play with the same offensive pressure it doesn't matter who is playing D. When the forwards start pushing back the D and the Bruins D jumps up in the play it creates space regardless.

I still think its all about match ups. When you have a few elite players like Kesler/Sedins its easy to get a good match up by putting the Chara and Seidenberg pair out. When you have the depth of the Bruins its not so easy. Right down to fourth line is a line players that want to create plays.

I still don't like kaberle.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

total gut check coming up friday night for the canucks...iffin' the the b's can weather the first 10 minutes they'll be okay.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #41
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

this game is going to give me a heart attack

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #42
iamskippy

BLAH!
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #43
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Okay- just two wins away from hoisting the Cup but one loss away from the golf course. How are you all feeling about the chances tonight and potentially Wednesday? We have every reason to believe they will bounce back tonight as they have been nothing short of resilient all playoffs long. The very thought of watching Vancouver skating on Garden Ice with the Cup should be enough motivation to win tonight.

If they win tonight can the somehow find a way to win in an anything-can-happen game 7?

I say yes and am anticipating nothing but celebrations throughout Bruins Nation!

Woooooooooo!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #44
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

if they win tonite, I feel they will win it all. B's that is

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #45
JohnnyD

Uh Oh Oh Oh Oh... Oh... Uh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh... Uh Oh... Uh Oh!!!
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #46
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Stop & Shop has a new type of Swiss Cheese out called Luongo.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #47
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

That was a lot of fun to watch. This has been an epic season, epic playoff run and epic finals series that is just waiting for an epic conclusion. It would not surprise me one bit to see game 7 go into overtime tomorrow night.

While I did not go to a single playoff game (a first for me) I will absolutely be on an early train into Boston tomorrow and will be planting my large butt in front of a big screen in a bar somewhere very close to the Garden.

Any recommendations for a good place to watch/celebrate? The Harp? The Greatest Bar? Sullys?

Anyone else heading up there?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #48
Mr. Sandman

Well played. They will be bringing that game to Vancouver you can bet money on it. Luongo is fragile and has some real holes in his game at times he is worried about, the city is very nervous. If we get a couple quick ones I think they could cave. I would love to see him get yanked in game 7. Lastly, they are a very sore and injured team...we just need to keep banging away. They can't take much more hitting. Keep on banging Boychuk, keep on banging.

I am sure the B's have some bruises as well but they are jacked! This game is theirs if they play like they did at home.

No matter how it plays out though...they had a great season and only a few of us knew it could really be this good, most of the experts called for their early demise. Remember how the experts all said the teams in the east suck compared to the west... Yeah...well, suck on this.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I want a blow out. I can't take an O T. Game.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #50
Mr. Sandman

I am really jacked and nervous for tonight. I keep saying that anything can happen in one game, a lucky bounce a bad call anything... No matter what, win or loose I am really happy for the team this year. IMO they are the best team team in the league. I hope the refs put the whistles in their pockets and B's take them a part. The Canucks are a beat up team. We can pound them into submission and then play mind games with their goalie and win this. OT will probably kill me.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #51
Saltheart

I say the B's blow them off the ice tonight.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #52
Mr. Sandman

I just heard this on the Radio

LABRONGO

coffee shot out of my nose!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #53
Clogston29
xxx

Haven't been this excited for a game since game 7 against Yankees in 04. Gonna take a few beers to take the edge off the nerves for this one.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #54
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Watched the game upstairs at "The Fours" last night and got to experience to insaneness of the Boston Celebration. I have never high-fived so many people at one event in my life. My hands are hiyrting, my voice is shot and despite the beers, my head is ultra-clear this morning.

Congrats to The Bruins and THANK YOU for bring The Cup back home!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #55
eskimo

wow, wow and wow.

The depth of the bruins prevails. Fourth line played like a second line and every player did more then just chip in.

Hats off to PC as I watched each player he acquired for the B's do what he expected. As much as I would hate to admit he has a eye for players that have potential that doesn't get recognized becaue they are stuck on a line that doesn't sync somewhere int he NHL. Peverly and Kelly being the latest additions along with Campbell and Horton and even Rechhi when he came with Morris and Montador.

Most players he sought out added to the core of what was there.

I always look forward to the CBC montage of the SC play-offs and I haven't seen it posted so here it is.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #56
fishsmith
DDG-51

The hockey gods saw the sissy style of play done by the canucks and unleashed their wrath on the team and city.

4 - 0 at home HA HA HA!! Pulling the goalie with 3+ minutes to go, ... just awesome.

Way to go Bruins, we may not of had the regular season numbers, speed or talent, but when your heart is in the right place good things happen.

BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back to Win City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #57
fishbones

Cool video. Thanks for posting, Eskimo. After watching that and thinking back through the entire playoffs, I'd have to say that Tampa was the second best team this year, not the Canucks.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #58
eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Cool video. Thanks for posting, Eskimo. After watching that and thinking back through the entire playoffs, I'd have to say that Tampa was the second best team this year, not the Canucks.
Agreed and as much as I hate to admit the Montreal series was really a grind too.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #59
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

This is their third Cup during my lifetime, and this one was probably the most deserved. Let's face it, in 1970 and 1972, the B's were loaded and far and away the best team in the NHL. They really should have had 5 Cups in a row, but as usual, the Habs were their roadblock.

This is a lunch bucket team that Grapes would have been proud of, and for all of the surviving Gallery Gods who used to sit in the second balcony at the old Gahdin, this one's for them.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #60
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I agree with Mike. I experienced the 70's and was bummed when they only came away with 2 cups. I was 14 and playing hockey 3 times a week back then and Hockey was king. I ate, slept, and lived hockey as did most Boston sports fans of that time period. We never missed any games, regular or playoff games, for many, many years. I slowly faded my attention for a bunch of years as other interests grew but always kept tabs on them. This year I dedicated my interests to watching them and really came away with a real appreciation for their hard earned Cup. I have not always been a fan of the dump it in and go get it style, loving the stylish wide open Olympic and European style but I really enjoyed watching a lesser talented, compared to V C, team just impose their will on the Cunucks. By mid third period last nite they were a beaten, frustrated, and out hustled bunch of players and it was a thing of beauty to watch and as stylish as any style I have watched in a long time. They had a plan and worked it to a T. Congrats to the Bruins this year as they epitomized the word team. Oh yeah and thanks Timmy T. you gave a performance for the ages. Now I can get a good nites sleep, what a ride.