Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Uses of transparent vs opaque paint

I finished painting a batch of plugs. While in the process I saw I had some paints that were transparent and some were opaque. Are there guidelines when to use each type? And when I replenish my paint supply are there basic paints for base coats that I should buy in the big size. Thanks Charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
ivanputski
Pete K.

Transparent is nice when you want to "tint" certain colors. for example, I like using transparent black to darken the back and add scales to almost any color plug... it darkens the color without covering it, in essence creating a perfect darker shade of the color you covered. they also have transparent colors. Its basically for subtle effects and color shifts that look nice, but probably dont matter to fish

Last edited by ivanputski; 06-13-2017 at 09:07 PM..
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
JLH

I use opaque colors over primer to set the base color and then I usually add clear coat and fish them… The transparent paints that I’ve tried are very thin right out of the bottle and go on light which I would think makes them ideal for adding additional shading or detail to plugs that plug collectors go crazy for but fish and guys that actually fish their plugs don’t care much about…
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Dan E

I'd go so far as to say that half of the opaque colors they sell you actually are transparent in nature because of the thin viscosity needed to spray out of a very fine gun.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Dan E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
pbadad

just finished painting bunch with transparent forest green createx. shot perfect right out of the bottle for a color base at 35lb. nice mist shading with 15-20lbs. opaque paints mostly don't shoot well with a tip smaller the .5mm unless you thin to a skim milk consistency. Createx opaque for what ever reason are thick as oatmeal. Adding up to 50% medium(water) gets them to flow. I wont talk about the craft paints except I'm done with them.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Nebe

None of you work with glass but when I am trying to get the brightest colors to “pop” I will overlay a transparent color over white. The reasoning is that the transparent allows to light to enter it and give a richer brighter appearance. An opaque is not going to offer that index of refraction.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote