Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
ivanputski
Pete K.

Lobster Prices...

Anyone know what has pushed this season's lobster prices down to $4.99 per pound at supermarkets?

This seems to be the lowest I can remember.

Is there just a huge supply this season, or has China
started farm raising? Who KNOWS why?
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Nebe

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that China put big tariffs on American seafood and crashed the demand for it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that China put big tariffs on American seafood and crashed the demand for it.
Likely this...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Likely this...
If I’m right, and I usually am, the lobsterman of Maine got double screwed.. steel tariffs mean the cost of their gear went up too.
MAGA!!!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #5
Guppy
User

I spend that to go pull um ��
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
If I’m right, and I usually am, the lobsterman of Maine got double screwed.. steel tariffs mean the cost of their gear went up too.
MAGA!!!
Same thing is happening back home. The soybean prices have gone way down and farmers use a lot of steel.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
MakoMike

I think its mostly a season thing, we usually see low prices this time of year, but I don't doubt that the tariff thing has also contributed.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

It's because of a 25% retaliatory tariff imposed by the Chinese government, not because of something democrats made up

From the Bangor Daily News

Those shipments have come to a grinding halt due to a 25 percent tariff China placed on Maine lobster in retaliation for the Trump administration trade actions. The tariff has severely tightened what has been one of the Maine lobster industry’s largest export destinations in recent years.

“I can’t replace China, that’s the reality,” Nadeau said. “No one knows what to do because we don’t know how long this is going to last.”

Pingree met with Nadeau Wednesday on the floor of The Lobster Company’s processing plant. The two spoke about how Nadeau’s business has been impacted by the Chinese retaliatory trade tariffs. Nadeau said she had to cut one-third of her wholesale staff because of the slowdown in shipping.
"Nadeau is just one of many dealers in Maine whose primary markets are China and Europe, Pingree said. The effects are being felt up and down the Maine coast. The international seafood brokers are looking elsewhere, mainly north to Canada to fill their orders.

“Who can blame them? I’ve asked them can you please direct me to another fish eating country with 1.5 billion people and I’ll fly there tomorrow. There isn’t one,” Nadeau said."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Jim in CT

They can't sell the lobster in China with the 25% tariff? I only ask because here at least, a 25% swing in the price/lb isn't unheard of.

And her question of looking for a country of 1.5billion is a bit silly, you don't need a country that big or there's be no market here in the US.

I had no idea we exported that much lobster to China. It's not a good story for the wholesalers at all.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
They can't sell the lobster in China with the 25% tariff? I only ask because here at least, a 25% swing in the price/lb isn't unheard of.

And her question of looking for a country of 1.5billion is a bit silly, you don't need a country that big or there's be no market here in the US.

I had no idea we exported that much lobster to China. It's not a good story for the wholesalers at all.
We exported 1.3 billion dollars worth of seafood to China last year, Canada is currently very happy with Trump about this part of the tariffs, combined with the difference in exchange rate (a byproduct of our GREAT economy) Canadian lobster is much less expensive than US.
It will hurt the fisherman, always does

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
Ed B

A lot of other agriculture products are sitting in silos now too because of tariffs. Corn, soybeans, leaving countries to finding other suppliers. US farmers and fisherman are loosing markets.

Lumber prices have jumped a lot too for the US homebuilders because of Canadian import price increases and I'd expect demand and cost to increase further after the hurricanes. Go see what a square of cedar shingles is at Home Depot now. Its like hanging prime rib on the side of your house.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So, in truth, it can be said: It's Trump's fault.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
Nebe

Yes. Making America’s industries great again...at other professions expense.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

Very shortsighted outlook for some here.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I agree in principle, but how he is choosing to effect the economic change in his favor does not appear to have the teeth to work. Another $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese imports announced today. Just waiting on Chinese retaliation..... What industries and American households will they affect negatively? How would you feel if 50% of the market producing your household income was eliminated overnight? Americans already will pay the tariffs IF they choose to buy the affected products.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
Nebe

Tariffs are just a sneaky back door tax. I don’t think the majority of Americans even understand what a tariff is.

In the mean time I might have to go buy some lobsters and help support our friends in Maine.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I agree in principle, but how he is choosing to effect the economic change in his favor does not appear to have the teeth to work. Another $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese imports announced today. Just waiting on Chinese retaliation..... What industries and American households will they affect negatively? How would you feel if 50% of the market producing your household income was eliminated overnight? Americans already will pay the tariffs IF they choose to buy the affected products.
Did you also notice cell phones and related we’re exempt? I’d note that a recent report said only 3% of tax free cash has been repatriated so far.

And the deficit is soaring.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chinese retaliation has every opportunity to hit equipment and parts that phones and related accessories need for assembly. Will hit right during Christmas buying season and could easily turn market south in last quarter..... We are in for some pain ahead IMO. And that is part of my long term view. First time in almost ten years I would consider taking some long term gains off the table...

Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
Nebe

I agree Ross. It’s concerning.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Tariffs are just a sneaky back door tax. I don’t think the majority of Americans even understand what a tariff is.

In the mean time I might have to go buy some lobsters and help support our friends in Maine.
The tariffs are Trump's doing, and for sure they are causing some pain in certain sectors, and Trump absolutely owns that. I assume Trump thinks it will ultimately pay of with more favorable terms from China, who hasn't been a very good friend in terms of stealing intellectual property and the like. And the tariffs might be hurting China more as their stock market is absolutely in the toilet, and everything I'm reading says his tariffs are a reason why.

Would be nice to hear him admit that there is damage being done here, and what he plans to do about it.

"In the mean time I might have to go buy some lobsters and help support our friends in Maine."

The most brilliant idea I've heard in a year!!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And the deficit is soaring.
Funny how you started being concerned about that, as soon as Trump's hand came off the bible at his inauguration. Lots of liberals became deficit hawks on that day. Just a coincidence.

It's absolutely a valid concern. But in your case, your concern about the deficit is quite selective, isn't it?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
time in almost ten years I would consider taking some long term gains off the table...
Have to consider it. I have very strict stop-loss orders in place, anything that drops by 15% gets sold. Might cost me some upside, but I'm concerned about limiting my downside. The correction is coming.