Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Cordless tools

Get the ball rolling.. what do people want to see/know?

Drills..

Bosch makes a great drill/driver
Bosch DDS181-02 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill Driver with 2 1.5Ah Batteries
I like this drill so much that i picked up this kit with another drill and impact driver
Bosch CLPK232-181 18V Max Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit

Before you all fire off the cannon's let me say this.. these 1.5amp "compact batteries" outrun the competition... I would say they compare well with run times as of my Ridgid 18V X3 3amp batteries...

Bosch had a weakness and it was the lack of adding to your Bosch tool line... well they are expanding and have quite of few different tools available.. Bosch cordless lineup.

Dewalt

I still have my XRP drill/driver DW995 have rebuilt the battery packs atleast 5-6 times as this was not really an issue with me since i build my own R/C race packs and wasn't going to pay $80 for a new battery when i could rebuild 2 with the same or better cells for the same price...

that said I kind of got spoiled by my Ridgid Li X3 batteries recharge time
So i picked up the Dewalt DCD775KL... I may have used it once to drive a 4" screw into a piece i was working on...

I put it back in the case and stuck it back in the bench.. nuff said.. I was totally disappointed with the way the drill worked...
I stuck the 18V li battery on the DW995 drill and while it looked like it didn't fit, the battery locked in just fine and ran the drill like a champ...

*********Ridgid
X3 tools they be ok...
I picked up a couple of 18V hyper batteries and i can say wow.. i noticed more torque from the tools... this is the set i use around the house and outside..

****** Porter Cable..
Porter-Cable PCL180DK-2 18V Cordless Lithium Drill/Driver Kit

Not impressed at all... this was another tool i was looking forward to add to my collection and behold the no-name Chinese parts make this drill no better then those found at bargain shops...

I was at Lowes today and it looks like this PorterCable line is being clearanced...

****Makita
Now if I had to do it all over again this would be the line i would go with.. Only because they have it all...
My Father and Brother both use these tools and while i have handled them i really couldn't see the hoopla.. until i started looking for batteries for my Dad.. Makita makes everything from A-Z that is powered by the battery..

I've only played with the Miluwakee 28V impact wrench.. That is the crazy torque.. It will snap lug bolts or pull them off the rim...I snapped two 5/8" Grade 8 6" bolts because i underestimated the power of this thing..

Things to look for...
Warranty should be taken like a grain of salt.. Nice to have but not something that should sell the tool... 2,3,5, lifetime.. is nice but when your tool keeps breaking down and you have to send it in it's still costing you.. your not working or using a backup... Now you need to get a backup for your backup...
Battery prices and availability.. Company history are they changing designs every 12-18 months? including the battery.. plans to phase out 18V line.. Hi Dewalt...

Reviews and customer feed back... on Selling sites where the buyer writes the review and not some random person looking for Posts or points or angles (sales guys) like:

Ooh i bough this drill yesterday and the battery was charged 5 times and the damn thing almost burnt my house down.. never again.. i will stick with XYZ brand...

Hope this helps and not confuses..
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
basswipe

I'm a tool snob.Nothing but Fein and Festool for me!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
JamesJet

Questions

Understanding that of course everyone has an opinion... I am looking for an 18V impact driver as i see some deck work in future, plus I just dont have one. I have an older Dewalt drill which suits me fine, so not really looking for a drill again in a combo kit unless it was was well worth the deal. Looking for the classics: dependability, battery, toque, comfortbility. I figure its going to run me between $250-325 with maybe a deal I can find for xmas or just after making it a bit cheaper.

Thoughts?
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
LOL.. Snob...

Nothing wrong with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJet View Post
Understanding that of course everyone has an opinion... I am looking for an 18V impact driver as i see some deck work in future, plus I just dont have one. I have an older Dewalt drill which suits me fine, so not really looking for a drill again in a combo kit unless it was was well worth the deal. Looking for the classics: dependability, battery, toque, comfortbility. I figure its going to run me between $250-325 with maybe a deal I can find for xmas or just after making it a bit cheaper.

Thoughts?
For what it's worth since you already have the 18V Dewalt you might want to look at a set of XRP batteries...
Check this out..

Bare-Tool DEWALT DC820B 1/2" 18V impact wrench $85.66

DEWALT Bare-Tool DC825B 1/4" 18V impact driver
$79.66

DEWALT DC9096-2 18-Volt XRP 2.4 Amp Hour NiCad Pod-Style Battery, 2 Pack
$101.99

Amazon has a promo going on with $25 off $100 in Dewalt tools..

No tax and free shipping..

now you get 2 new batteries for your older drill and a impact...

For what it's worth i would get the 1/2" unless you think your going to need to get into a tight spot...

Keep in mind that the tools listed are just bare tools they come in a box with no batteries or charger.
And your under budget... for accessories like adapters, ect...
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

You can rebuild batteries? I didn't know that
love to hear more as I'm sick of having to pay 80 bucks for replacements

I like Bosch tools and i have makita drills and a driver, can't afford the fesstool cordless stuff but have their other stuff.

those smaller dewalt battieries in 18 volt look good and you have a choice to go with the larger battery too, pricey though.

I love my small bosch driver 10 volts I think, great for cabinet hinge screws.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Got the Makita combo drill/driver/charger/light about two years ago for 199.00. Very pleased. Lighter and more comfrotable. Never looked back. The yellow dewalts (drill/hammer, four chargers and six batteries)now take up space in the shop, as I only keep the light with me in the truck. The 18 volt circular saw was never very good, and the sawzall sheared off behind the blade lock.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
You can rebuild batteries? I didn't know that
love to hear more as I'm sick of having to pay 80 bucks for replacements

I like Bosch tools and i have makita drills and a driver, can't afford the fesstool cordless stuff but have their other stuff.

those smaller dewalt battieries in 18 volt look good and you have a choice to go with the larger battery too, pricey though.

I love my small bosch driver 10 volts I think, great for cabinet hinge screws.
Slipknot, I can rant on for hours and actually did so until i realized that i would seriously confuse people....

There is so much info on the .NET that covers all the info you need...

Know the difference between Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd... Know that Ni-Mh is expensive because of the Mah(amp rating) the higher the Mah the more $$$ the cell + you can charge a half pack back to full with no worry of memory... Ni-Mh cells are used in R/C racing the hardcore guys usually get 1 race out of a new pack before they "ebay" the pack.

You will need a good iron/soldering station..

The initial investment could be the price of 2 battery packs...

I have the Weller WTCPT station with the 201 pencil...

63/37 Solder is ideal

Thermistor To keep your cell from over heating,, shuts charge off at 180ishF

Cell insulators

Heat Shrink

Different ways to attach batteries... You can use the tabs, or on tab free cells you can solder wire, solder tabs, battery bars..

You will need to make a jig to hold the cells because you will need both hands and be quick... holding the iron, solder then to switch the solder for a hold down tool...after a while you can hold both in the same hand and do it with ease...

I practiced on dead alkaline batteries... You will know if your holding the iron on too long.. rule of thumb is 4 seconds on 10 seconds off... @700F...

Pre-tin everything... get some good scratches on the cells.. i use a dremel with a drum sander attachment.

Also remember to insulate as when you solder on the positive end there is only 1/8" of a gap from the positive tab to the negative side... you don't want excessive solder...

After the holidays i should be set with my "laundry room" work bench i'll try and get a video/photo on how to rebuild the battery as i need to rebuild my final 18V Dewalt XRP pack....

NightFighter, unlike Dewalt, Makita makes a "different" line of the same tool... I was looking at the Makita cordless circular for my Dad.. found Makita makes 2 different models... I almost bought the wrong one... apparently Makita makes a "better" version first then builds a "striped down" version and numbers them accordingly... Just something to think about when looking to expand your tool line..

I know a few guys that swear by the Dewalt reciprocating saw.

Like i said if i could do it all over again i would be a Makita guy..

It's too bad that no 1 MFG makes a full line of tools that feel comfortable in my hands... Burns tools is 5 minutes from my house and i used to go there once a month and touch stuff.. LOL

I really miss and even though some would disagree WoodWorkers warehouse in Seekonk, MA.. Yes they had high prices for a reason but the staff was pretty cool and before you walked out they often gave you a break on the price to make it competitive with the big box stores.. What other store can you go into and ask them to drill a few holes or fire up a table saw/band saw... How about turn on a lathe?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

milwaukee

it's the best.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I swore at my Dewalt recip.... White metal snapped. Don't think I could even get the part.
Here's the Makita line I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	992
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	49785   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	988
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	49786  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
milwaukee

it's the best.
Salty what makes you like the Milwaukee so much to say it's the best? You are a man who uses tools on a daily basis so fill us in when you get get the time... Ever have issues with the clutch on the drill?

NightFighter i would have called Dewalt and told them WTF happened... I've seen that before..Not just snapping while using usually after a drop off a 12' to concrete floor... This makes the 4th Dewalt i've seen...I've seen Hitachi do this aswell... That part is $30ish me thinks... Output shaft
Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks. I'll do a search for that.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
shark lobster

for the pro ,,dewalt mikta ,, junk ,, wont last ,, fien tools , bocsh tools will take the beating ,, for everyday use
shark lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptar View Post
Slipknot, I can rant on for hours and actually did so until i realized that i would seriously confuse people....

There is so much info on the .NET that covers all the info you need...

Know the difference between Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd... Know that Ni-Mh is expensive because of the Mah(amp rating) the higher the Mah the more $$$ the cell + you can charge a half pack back to full with no worry of memory... Ni-Mh cells are used in R/C racing the hardcore guys usually get 1 race out of a new pack before they "ebay" the pack.

You will need a good iron/soldering station..

The initial investment could be the price of 2 battery packs...

I have the Weller WTCPT station with the 201 pencil...

63/37 Solder is ideal

Thermistor To keep your cell from over heating,, shuts charge off at 180ishF

Cell insulators

Heat Shrink

Different ways to attach batteries... You can use the tabs, or on tab free cells you can solder wire, solder tabs, battery bars..

You will need to make a jig to hold the cells because you will need both hands and be quick... holding the iron, solder then to switch the solder for a hold down tool...after a while you can hold both in the same hand and do it with ease...

I practiced on dead alkaline batteries... You will know if your holding the iron on too long.. rule of thumb is 4 seconds on 10 seconds off... @700F...

Pre-tin everything... get some good scratches on the cells.. i use a dremel with a drum sander attachment.

Also remember to insulate as when you solder on the positive end there is only 1/8" of a gap from the positive tab to the negative side... you don't want excessive solder...

After the holidays i should be set with my "laundry room" work bench i'll try and get a video/photo on how to rebuild the battery as i need to rebuild my final 18V Dewalt XRP pack....

Burns tools is 5 minutes from my house and i used to go there once a month and touch stuff.. LOL
Burns gives you tool envy

that sounds complicated all that soldering, what are you doin? replacing cells?
I'll pass on doing it myself, sounds like you have a handle on that so maybe I just give you my old batteries

I bought the 2 pack drill/driver of makitas years ago but they are 12 volt, wish i had the 14 volt, but they work well and I am happy.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
5/0
Eels

Seven years ago my Wife bought me the 18V Ryobi starter kit,it came with a cheesy gray plastic suitcase but let me tell you,don't let that case fool you!I used the light,drill and recip saw everyday in the field.
I work on commercial,residential and some Industrial HVAC-R equipment.These poor tools didn't get much rest at all,I used this set five-six days a week for just about five years and nothing broke,the batterys would fail after a years worth of abuse,but they were very inexpensive it was $35 bucks for two battery's. compared to De Walt 1 @ $90.

Anyway I retired the set and gave it to my Son and thought I had great luck with the first gen Ryobi why not buy the LI edition,right?
Wrong,I had bad luck right off the bat,the recip saw chit the bed cutting into deep uni strut,the hammer drill choked on simple concrete task's and wen't threw 2 battery's in three months.....Really?!?!These battery's were $90 bucks a hit.

After not having much luck with the newer one's I felt it was time to move on, I tossed in the towel and bought the 18V Milwaukee set.Hammer drill,circ saw,recip saw light and double charger.At fourteen months the reciprocating saw had some minor problems,so I went to there web site clicked on there warranty form printed out a form and a free FED X shipping label. I had to pack it up and drop it off in a FED X mail box but I got it back in six day's free of charge pluse they sent me a 10 in one screw driver....Not bad.
I had once ripped 5/8"CDX six pass's at full length( 8')and still had 2 bars on the battery.

So other than that I happy with them,but If I could do it again.....I would buy the 28V

O one more thing,just for the record Panasonic cordless tools has the best reviews from Consumer reports Guide.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
5/0
Eels

Slipknot is selling that exact set on the Classifieds for cheap money(my first set).

Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark lobster View Post
for the pro ,,dewalt mikta ,, junk ,, wont last ,, fien tools , bocsh tools will take the beating ,, for everyday use
Lot of pros up this way will disagree with you after voting with their wallets... especially with Makitas.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Slipknot is selling that exact set on the Classifieds for cheap money(my first set).
after reading what you just wrote, maybe I should keep it
they don't make things like they used to
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #18
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Shark lobster, share your story or are your trolling?

Slipknot, Easy to do after you have done a few...
PM me the model of the batteries and chargers you have and i'll check options on the cells for ya.. And ya after i get my little area setup not a problem.. I think it will take me longer to not destroy the pack opening it then it will take me to actually rebuild it..

5/0, Panasonic tools are $$.. If i needed a cordless SDS drill it would be the panasonic.. I watched a Concrete guy drill 50+ holes 5/8" or 3/4" i forgot on 1 charge thru a factory floor slab installing a production run... His boss paid $700 and each battery is $140 a pop..
Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
after reading what you just wrote, maybe I should keep it
they don't make things like they used to
If I didn't hand that set to my son I would snatch it up in a heartbeat!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
Fishoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
IMHO they are the best. Most expensive, but the best. Festool for the drills and although not cordless the fein multimaster will out last and out work any of the competition. Too bad the blades are sooo much. There are cheaper blades that will work but I don't think they last as long.

Although... when I had to buy my own drill I got a makita.. it's great and doubles as a dumbell I can work out with between jobs
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
5/0
Eels

Some of the Guys I work with have Dewalt 18V they have had no real complaints against Dewalt,only complaint is battery price.one of the guys has the older version Drill,the 12V. I'm not sure as to how old it is but it looks pretty beat,and it works.....
Another Guy has the Craftsman kit,this kit has got to be at least 5 years of age(based on how long I've worked with for this Co.)I know at one point he lost his drill for over a year,but found it in a drop ceiling and the battery was able to take and hold a charge.not bad.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I looked at Milwaukee, Bosch and Makita and after comparing them, this looks like a good set of drills to me.

http://www.toolking.com/brand/brands...less-combo-kit

these have LXT batteries which last longer as they are 3.0 a.h.

makita has a cheaper set but the drills are different, the drill is not a hammer drill option and also the batteries are 1.5 a.h. lithion ion not the LXT 3.0 version.

I missed a sale at Ace Tool on the 16th where they had a third battery free, also 5 sets available gone in 15 minutes for $289, now $329, good deal.

even at 329, seems like they will last a long time for me, only thing is they are heavy, maybe I could get a third battery in the 1.5 a.h. to save weight and have a backup.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Raven

Arrow laugh if ya want

but i was out buying a cordless drill
and had a brand in mind ....

But home depot was running a sale
and i decided to go with rigid

and that little drill has plenty of torgue
and is an 18volt battery which charges up
almost instantly if you need to finish something
when the power went dead... which happens suddenly

and it takes like 25 minutes TOTAL to fully recharge it

it has built many many projects and will continue to do so

price was very right... CONS, the chuck needs a 2nd ummff
of crank to get it to "stay tight" but that's automatic after awhile
and you forget your even doing it...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #24
Notfishinenuf

I would have to go with Bosch myself. Best I have had so far and I have had most all of them. I am a contractor by trade and the Bosch brand has been very good for me over the past three years. just my .02 cents. I have had all the ones mentioned with the exception of Fein and Festool. I do have some corded Fein pieces and they are fantastic. Have not been able to pull the trigger on any Festool stuff but I do drool over their stuff.

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #25
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
but i was out buying a cordless drill
and had a brand in mind ....

But home depot was running a sale
and i decided to go with rigid

and that little drill has plenty of torgue
and is an 18volt battery which charges up
almost instantly if you need to finish something
when the power went dead....

When you had mentioned Ridged and loss of power, it reminded me to mention they also have the 24V line.But the thing is, if you lose power at home you can use that battery to power your gas valve to heat your home.
Keep in mind you'll have to manually open the zone valves,if you have circ pumps...well your f-D!So forget it.to those who have the standard Taco's or Honeywell you can have a heating system that will be old style gravity fed system.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
mdell

Festools are great a buddy of mine does reviews for them. And has just about every festool made plus doubles.. It's insane what they cost vacuums for $600+ they are nice though!!

I like lithium batteries but this time of year working outside the batteries can be a pain in the a$$
mdell is offline   Reply With Quote