Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #61
buckman

I like the pick. If you see the response from the Obama camp they are stumped on what to do. If they attack her as a women, then Hillary's pissed. She has more executive expeirence them Obama. We will see what she has in her closet but even the leftest media will have to treat her with kid gloves. But here's the thing.. she doesn't appear to need special treatment. She's going to be very tough to knock off her game. And she's a refreshing change from the BS that we see day to day in Washington. I say it's over for Obama not McCain. Check and Mate
Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #62
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I like the pick. If you see the response from the Obama camp they are stumped on what to do. If they attack her as a women, then Hillary's pissed. She has more executive expeirence them Obama. We will see what she has in her closet but even the leftest media will have to treat her with kid gloves. But here's the thing.. she doesn't appear to need special treatment. She's going to be very tough to knock off her game. And she's a refreshing change from the BS that we see day to day in Washington. I say it's over for Obama not McCain. Check and Mate
Equal rights equal fights.
Bring it on her.
Who the hell cares about Hillary? She's not the candidate.

"Oh the Hillary voters oh the Hillary voters." You mean the "woman president" voters. Eff em. They're too goddamn stupid to look at the issues and would vote for the communist party if it were running a female candidate.

Palin is pro pebble mine. Supports Bristol Bay? My a@#$.
Open pit mining is a death sentence for that watershed.

Palin is pro life? Nice, keep pandering to the right and the church and telling women what they can do with their body.

More experience than Obama? At what? Abusing her power you'd be dead on. (Check out why she's being investigated RIGHT NOW.)

She bows to the commercial fishermen crying about quotas. They want free range to kill as much as they want. Thats NOT what the majority wants. Just look at what the comms have done to Georges Bank. Thats what her husband and the few want. Greed vs conservation.

I honestly don't care at the moment about foreign policy considering we're running an epic debt in this country.
Bomb the living hell out of Botswana for all I care, just stop using my money to do it.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #63
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America.
I'd agree that her down to earth image will resonate with the middle class, especially the Ted Nugent faction of the Republican Party

But she's going to have to tread very lightly on social conservative and environmental issues. I think the average person believes global warming is happening and believes in the separation of church and state. Sure it will rev up the base, but also turn off the independent voters who are the key to this election. To independent voters, a strong religious rejection of gay rights for instance, is a turn off. Doesn't mean you have to support gay marriage, but it makes them look mean and hypocritical. (no offense Joe)

It also presents a pickle for McCain who's traditionally been moderate on the environment. Environmental issues are going to be a big topic this fall, and he can't be running around saying we need to protect while she's at the GOP underground events preaching denial to the flock.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #64
Joe

Good time to lay some money down on McCain - before the odds change and he becomes the favorite.
Vegas has Obama at 1-2 ($100 bet will get you $50) and McCain at 3-2 ($100 bet will get you $150)

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #65
MAC

So if Obama is about CHANGE.... Tell me how Biden brings this to Obama's ticket ? 30 years in DC is not change.....

Obama seems to think he is above everybody. Hopefully his elitist attitude will sink him.

Obama messed up in not taking the "old battle ax"as a running mate. I think his ego wouldn't allow it though. Biden will fit in in that aspect though as he thinks he is somewhat elite as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 AM   #66
spence

Quote:
So if Obama is about CHANGE.... Tell me how Biden brings this to Obama's ticket ? 30 years in DC is not change.....
Simple, to CHANGE you need someone close to you who understands how every facet of government works...that's Joe Biden.

While #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney did attempt to make the Executive Branch have devine status, the fact remains that there are three branches for a reason.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #67
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America. Some how I can't see Obama or Biden like this unless the photo were staged.
Snips and siding! Damn you sold me! She's so middle class America it hurts. I concede.

Oops.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #68
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'd agree that her down to earth image will resonate with the middle class, especially the Ted Nugent faction of the Republican Party

But she's going to have to tread very lightly on social conservative and environmental issues. I think the average person believes global warming is happening and believes in the separation of church and state. Sure it will rev up the base, but also turn off the independent voters who are the key to this election. To independent voters, a strong religious rejection of gay rights for instance, is a turn off. Doesn't mean you have to support gay marriage, but it makes them look mean and hypocritical. (no offense Joe)

It also presents a pickle for McCain who's traditionally been moderate on the environment. Environmental issues are going to be a big topic this fall, and he can't be running around saying we need to protect while she's at the GOP underground events preaching denial to the flock.

-spence
I think the enviroment issues will take a back seat to more pressing issues ie; Iraq, health care, and #1....the economy.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #69
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Snips and siding! Damn you sold me! She's so middle class America it hurts. I concede.

Oops.
LOL, you forgot the silver spoon.......
Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #70
spence

Quote:
I think the enviroment issues will take a back seat to more pressing issues ie; Iraq, health care, and #1....the economy.
The environment (global warming, shortage of natural resources) is the biggest long-term challenge to the economy, and everything else falls out of that...

My guess is that at a time where this country (the world really) is entering a new era, the GOP will smother this election in the Abortion debate and the pot with the frog will get turned up a few more degrees.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #71
spence

Quote:
WTF?

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #72
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Who cares? Not like anyone in politics are self made anymore.
Either grow up with money or marry into money. Its a moot point really.

Hell most people voting Republican don't even make enough money to benefit from being a Republican. There's irony in there somewhere.

And the rumor machine is full speed ahead.
Kid #5 supposedly is her 16 year old daughters, not hers.

And she's into spending.
Bridge to nowhere.
Open pit mining (interestingly enough Ted Stevens was AGAINST it.)

Last edited by likwid; 08-30-2008 at 08:40 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #73
spence

What I find really odd is that McCain would pick someone he didn't even know. It's reported that he only met her once in Feb of this year.

Wouldn't you want a VP who you knew and trusted?

Doesn't make any sense to me. The fact that she's open to teaching Creationisim in schools is frightening.

Here's a quote I love:

Quote:
Palin also said of her son, whose name is Trig Paxon Van Palin, "I'm looking at him right now, and I see perfection. Yeah, he has an extra chromosome. I keep thinking, in our world, what is normal and what is perfect?"
So because she's pro-life she'll rationalize that her baby with Downs is just as normal as we are, yet a gay person, who God made differently as well, is somehow less deserving of such equality?

What a hypocrite.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #74
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_King View Post
Who's the better choice? Palin (strongly anti gay marriage and staunch pro life) or a multi millionaire,pretty boy Mormon from Belmont MA with equally pretty children that look like they're afraid to get their hands in the dirt.
I hear no gloves and nail polish is popular amongst the comm crowd.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #75
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Just as an FYI---not that I buy into either one, but there's a huge difference between "Intelligent Design"--which is what Palin stated she thought should be taught along with evolution in schools---and "Creationism".

One accepts the fact that the universe is billions of years old and that humans evolved from other species, and the other claims that the universe is 6000-odd years old and was created in 6 days.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #76
buckmanjr

I'm not sure with Biden's ambitions, he isn't hoping for a well placed bullet! I wouldn't trust him if I were Obama.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #77
JoeP

All you critics need to read some more about her for yourselves and stop reading secondhand stuff from anti-conservatives.

From what I read:

- yeah she is against gay-marriage (as many centrists are as well as conservatives) - but she is in favor of and has granted/passed gay equality/benefits rights as domestic partners. Just not the actual marriage part.

- she may not believe in 100% man-made doom & gloom Al Gore type global warming that will end the world in 50 years - but she has supported & formed a committee to address "climate change" in Alaska, she worked to pass the large natural gas pipeline in Alaska to address our oil-dependency, and she took on the large oil companies in Alaska as well.

And say what you will, pro-life & creationism in my book are important qualities.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #78
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
- yeah she is against gay-marriage (as many centrists are as well as conservatives) - but she is in favor of and has granted/passed gay equality/benefits rights as domestic partners. Just not the actual marriage part.
The Alaska Supreme Court ruled on the issue and there was nothing she could do about it. That doesn't imply an endorsemnt if you ask me...

Elected officials can't defy the court when it comes to how rights are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to homosexual couples.

"I believe that honoring the family structure is that important," Palin said.

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/ele...-7942233c.html

Quote:
- she may not believe in 100% man-made doom & gloom Al Gore type global warming that will end the world in 50 years - but she has supported & formed a committee to address "climate change" in Alaska, she worked to pass the large natural gas pipeline in Alaska to address our oil-dependency, and she took on the large oil companies in Alaska as well.
No, she's on record stating many times that she doesn't believe global warming to be man made. This puts her on the extreme right of this position, and opposite science.

Worse yet, the Al Gore style doom and gloom is becoming more mainstream among the scientific community every day.

From what I've read, her actions with the oil industry appear to be commendable.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #79
MAC

Quote:

Hell most people voting Republican don't even make enough money to benefit from being a Republican. There's irony in there somewhere.
I knew you would get the silver spoon comment. Just suprised Spence missed it.

On the Republican issue; I for one do not stand by any party lines. I do believe in voting for the man (or woman for you politically correct types).

Obama's worst trait to me is his ability to talk out of "both sides of his mouth". This is very apparent with his stance on 2A...... That sinks him for me.

If we could get a candidate who would take on DC and its "pork barrel spending" we would be better off. Maybe if we limited terms on senators and such something could happen, but that is for another day.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #80
spence

Quote:
I knew you would get the silver spoon comment. Just suprised Spence missed it.
Not sure what you meant by it

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #81
MAC

Quote:
Not sure what you meant by it

-spence
To me it means it is ironic that Obama is trying to protray himself as at "for the middle class". How can he expect the "common man" to believe any of his rantings when he has never been there. Thus the silver spoon.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #82
spence

Quote:
To me it means it is ironic that Obama is trying to protray himself as at "for the middle class". How can he expect the "common man" to believe any of his rantings when he has never been there. Thus the silver spoon.
That's what I assumed you meant, but I don't think Obama grew up as a rich kid. Raised by a single mother and went to school on scholarships. I don't believe he was dirt poor either, but that's a long way from deserving the "silver spoon" label.

Sure he's rich now, but it appears to be the product of a well educated and intelligent person who wrote some good books!

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #83
Nebe

Guys. All that matters is she is HOT... that should secure the NASCAR vote.. Game OVER.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #84
JoeP

Quote:
The Alaska Supreme Court ruled on the issue and there was nothing she could do about it. That doesn't imply an endorsemnt if you ask me...
Here's the article excerpt I've read a few times now:

"Palin’s first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska’s attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation."

Hey whatever spin you want to put on this there are 2 things I think are true:

1. It was a great pick...
2. It's gonna be a great election process to watch...

Enough for me here.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #85
Joe

Popular bumper sticker in Alaska....
"Alaska...Coldest State, Hottest Govenor!"

Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #86
spence

No spin, she simply is regarding the state Constitution over her personal opinion. That doesn't mean she's in favor of the action.

It's a risky pick for sure.

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #87
stripersnipr

Quote:
So because she's pro-life she'll rationalize that her baby with Downs is just as normal as we are, yet a gay person, who God made differently as well, is somehow less deserving of such equality?

What a hypocrite.

-spence
That would me sense if there were a Gay person who doesn't have the exact same rights as the rest of us.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 08-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #88
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
That would me sense if there were a Gay person who doesn't have the exact same rights as the rest of us.
I believe I said "equality".

-spence
Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #89
likwid
lobster = striper bait

It amazes me how little the environment means to you people.

Can't wait for the crying once they put in the LNG terminal and they put a massive guard zone around it.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #90
MAC

Quote:
It amazes me how little the environment means to you people.

Can't wait for the crying once they put in the LNG terminal and they put a massive guard zone around it.
I believe it is called "NIMBY". Not many care if they can't "see" it.