Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Joe

Loss of Labor Day Weekend To Local Economy

I was watching the news last weekend and there were no traffic jams coming back from the Cape or from Newport, on Labor Day weekend.
This is of course, because the kids go back to school earlier than they used to so our tourism industry loses the last long weekend of the summer - we pretty much lose the last week also. Our high summer season does not even entail two full months. I went over to Block Island and there were a lot of stores that were not coming back. A good Labor Day weekend would mean a great deal to the merchants and would also boost tax revenues.
So here we are in an area with the number one industry being tourism, and we've shortened our already short season by a week. That's something that really needs to be revisited.

Last edited by Joe; 09-04-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Nebe

Dont get me started..
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
buckman

Tha cape had plenty of traffic. Backed up for miles getting off cape on Mon. I agree, going back to school before labor day is nuts.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
EarnedStripes44

agreed Joe. I was on Bruckner Expressway coming from my sister wedding in NY around 4pm Monday and there was no traffic on a stretch of 95 that resembles a 4 lane parking lot all the way to Bridgeport. It is so notorious that I usually skip it altogether. I was on Marthas Vineyard the week before and it felt like a ghost town. You should've seen the empty slips in Oak Bluffs mid week