Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Saltheart

Is there any other penalty in football that results in points and a turnover

I am not happy that we lost 2 points and had to turn over the ball do to the grounding call in the endzone. i cannot think of any other NFL penalty that results in automatic points or an automatic turnover of the ball.

I think its crap that a penalty can award points to the opponent and I also don't think a penalty should result in a turnover. This grounding the ball in the endzone is a pretty new , unique and extremely harsh penalty.Now I am not saying the refs made a bad call. I am saying no penalty should result in the D getting points and the O turning over the ball.

opinions?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Offensive holding in the end zone, same thing. Automatic safety followed by a free kick.

And both penalties have been on the books for as long as I watched football.

Geez, you guys never end with the sour grapes, do ya.

Mike, I know you played football in high school, but you're sounding like a real pink hat here.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Saltheart

Its not sour grapes. As I said , I have no problem with the call itself that was made , just didn't know there was any penalty ever that resulted in points going to the other team. There are no penalties against the D that will award the offense a touchdown , no D penalty that will change a missed field goal to a 3 pointer , no D penalty to make an extra point good that did not go through the uprights. I would liken this to awarding a touchdown because of pass interference in the end zone. It doesn't happen. The ball gets spotted on the one and you have to earn your points.

These "safety" penalties against the O must happen very rarely because I never heard of them before.

Now the other thing about a penalty like that is that its not a firm "I saw him hold" call by the ref. its a judgement as to whether anybody was in the vacinity of where the ball was thrown. They say the ball landed 15 yards from any possible receiver but it was just 2 to 3 feet over the heads of a few potential receievers. Seems to me that a ball just 2 to 3 feet from a receiver ,regardless of whether it was that close in the X , Y , or Z direction is in fact in the vacinity of a receiver. Yes someone would have to run 15 yards to where it landed but all it would have taken was for a jump and long arms to reach up and grab it.

Anyway , its a question about a pretty obscure rule , not a sour grapes question

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

They called a tight game. Except for halftime which needed a delay of game leave the field penalty
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Mike, I know you played football in high school, but you're sounding like a real pink hat here.

Seriously just made my day

iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
These "safety" penalties against the O must happen very rarely because I never heard of them before.
Literally the exact same thing happened when the Giants played the Jets in December of this year. Sanchez was standing in his endzone and about to be sacked, just launched the ball into the middle of nowhere and the Giants got the safety.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
JackK
Not Jack

There is absolutely no way anyone could have caught that ball. Watch the replays, they would have had to jump ~20' into the air! Grounding was the correct call, he airmailed it to avoid the safety by Tuck (ironically).

Any penalty that occurs behind the GL gets a safety. It's rare to be sure, but happens a few times every season, at least. I see no issue with the rule as it stands. It's in place specifically to prevent what Brady did.

The D can get a penalty that will award the offense a TD, it's just extremely rare. They fall under the jurisdiction of the palpably unfair act (now THAT'S an obscure rule!!). A good example (yet still a non-call) would be the Jets coach tripping the Miami returner. AFAIK it's never been called in a game, though.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Its not sour grapes. As I said , I have no problem with the call itself that was made , just didn't know there was any penalty ever that resulted in points going to the other team. There are no penalties against the D that will award the offense a touchdown , no D penalty that will change a missed field goal to a 3 pointer , no D penalty to make an extra point good that did not go through the uprights. I would liken this to awarding a touchdown because of pass interference in the end zone. It doesn't happen. The ball gets spotted on the one and you have to earn your points.

Now the other thing about a penalty like that is that its not a firm "I saw him hold" call by the ref. its a judgement as to whether anybody was in the vacinity of where the ball was thrown. They say the ball landed 15 yards from any possible receiver but it was just 2 to 3 feet over the heads of a few potential receievers. Seems to me that a ball just 2 to 3 feet from a receiver ,regardless of whether it was that close in the X , Y , or Z direction is in fact in the vacinity of a receiver. Yes someone would have to run 15 yards to where it landed but all it would have taken was for a jump and long arms to reach up and grab it.

Anyway , its a question about a pretty obscure rule , not a sour grapes question

Question about an obscure rule.
Sounds like your describing the Tuck rule !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Question about an obscure rule.
Sounds like your describing the Tuck rule !
Sore spot bra?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Sore spot bra?

No, just making the comparison to another obscure rule.

What is bra?

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
iamskippy

Quote:
No, just making the comparison to another obscure rule.

What is bra?
Like say bro but with a certain vernacular added to it.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Like say bro but with a certain vernacular added to it.
Sorry, I don't speak ghetto

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
iamskippy

Quote:
Sorry, I don't speak ghetto
Well its not ghetto its from dog the bounty hunter as i aspire to be like him some day.