Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

morse taper dr chuck ?

very new to this, feeling my way thru w/ some help. why does my morse taper drill chuck pull away from the headstock while disengaging the bit? i use a jet mini and i have tried varying drill speeds? this happens when i am deep into the plug, it sucks when i'm drilling, backing out the bit and the whole f%%&^$ chuck comes with it!!!! center drilling is the biggest PITA for me while dealin with this....thanks.
jeff
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

do you have a cheap Chinese drill chuck? Could be the taper is not very precision, thus a little slop. No burrs on the taper of the drill chuck or in the female tapered bore? Tang on the drill chuck not lining up right?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

no. not that i know of, i got it at woodcrafters for $40. i know i could have gotten a cheap chinese one for $15 at one of those bargain places but when i put it in my hand it was sh*t! mine is pretty heavy duty....
Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

well there really shouldn't be much of a problem then, other than the taper,shank, isn't all burred up. Just put a board on the front of it and give it a good whack with a hammer. When you slid the chuck into the head and it gets snug are you able to wiggle it around, a little play in it, or does it seem tight? I have seen once in a blue moon, some chucks have a tang, taper, too long sometimes and the end of it bottoms out on the depth of the female hole. Good for some things but not in this situation. Not being there it is hard to tell but do you feel like it is hitting something before it settles into the taper. That is about all I could think it would be. Crappy precision, bottoming out in female bore, burr's on either the male or female, or not seating it good enough, hammer time. Good luck and let us know how you do.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

i'll let you Know in a day or so! thanks all!
jeff
Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

how i did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Good luck and let us know how you do.
the truth. i am not a great craftsmen or woodworker and barely know the basics of the hobby. i'll never impress anyone here with my mechanics or tool wizardry. i know that, my friends know that. the facts are i just began plug building this spring and love to make plugs for myself and friends (yeah, i've caught on'em).... anyway, i take everyones advice about the morse taper, i tried all the suggestions.... no luck chuck still spins out when center drilling.... well, i take out my jet manual, (that thing people like me really need to read before they operate dangerous machinery). well, this round black thing called a "faceplate" isn't supposed to be on the lathe when you use the spur center or....morse taper drill chuck....hmmmm...being self taught sometimes has a huge learning curve! needless to say i am confident i will not have this problem in the future! i may change my name to "plug building nit-wit"thanks everyone!
jeff
Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Ahh - the eureka moment. Happens to me all the time. Usually after a bunch of first!

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. as long as you learned from it that is all that matters. I have been sticking things in Morse tapers for 30 plus years so I have a little experience with them. That being said I still screw up something every day, but having experience I am usually able to salvage it, but not all the time. Matter of fact just last nite as I finished up a job at work I realized I indexed it the wrong way even after I made a point not to do it that way. I got distracted by a stupid piece of crap machine I was using and went right ahead and put the part in wrong. I'll be making the darn thing over tonight. Stupid mistake , but most are. Only thing worse than screwing up is making the thing again, especially if you didn't enjoy making it the first time. Don't be so hard on yourself that is how you learn.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Eureka moment .That's good one. Oh there was plenty of swarin going on. Surprised you couldn't hear my from the Cape.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

thanks scott! i think i got that, i'm going to check it out mon am. appreciated!
jeff
Old 07-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Another thankyou for that tip!! When I use a rasp for cups my chuck likes to fall out. I've learned to be quick, real quick!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

scott, "set a bit"....bit=5 minutes? i tried this quickly yesterday and the loctite was like a lube and then it was worse! of course i am mechanically illiterate, probably didn't wait long enough or just have no luck w/ this darn thing! after i turn today i'm going to try again, and when it works THEN pick out one of my wretched lookin plugs for you to have and look at with amusement!!!
thanks again
jeff