Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #31
capecodder

Springsteen, hands down. Saw him at teh fleetcenter a couple years back and could not tell when one song stopped and another started. One 3.5 hour song about jersey girls and cars...
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #32
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

the doors and greatful dead all there songs sound the same

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #33
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
I was listening to the radio today and the station I had on played a bit of The Who's Quadraphenia album.....now I have never been a huge Who fan, I like some of their music but I always believed them to be over rated when held up to the bright light of other bands like the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin.....Pete Townsend to me has to be the most over rated guitar player ever......I don't think I have ever heard him play anything other than power chords and would not know a good solo if it fell on him......the stupid windmill gimmick he always had....nothing more than smoke and mirrors along with alot of noise!

I am going to take some heat from Who fans I know so I might as well throw in The Greatful Dead as over rated.....I just never got them.....OK Slip...bring the heat!

What bands do you think were over rated?
Larry, as a guitar player for the last 40 years I must say that the Who's music is amongst my favorite. Townsends blending of acoustic riffs backed by power chords are thier not for the reasons one might think. True, lots of bands use the power chord as the main body of thier music. Bands in the big hair era like Motley Crue ( who I happen to love) and Ratt etc were no where near the musicians Townsend, Daltrey, Moon and Entwhistle were. The blending of the many tones both acoustic and slung low Les Paul with all knobs on ten were thier to convey the dramatic impact of the song and it's story rather than a 3 knot power chords wall of noise masking the inability and range of some supposed "super Stars". The Who's music is as technical as it comes along with Led Zepplin's. Ever try to keep up with Jimmy Page while playing along? Tough assignment for the best of them.
My fav players were Mick Ronson, Bowie's late lead man who was classically trained, Jeff Beck and PM'S fav, Frank Zappa, really a genuis when you think that he actually WROTE every note played on his albums.

Overated, The grateful dead to be sure, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and just about all the newer bands.

To be truely great on a guitar you have to be able to capture the emotion of the song, to convey through the notes you play the hurt, joy, emptiness of the piece and make it recognizable as such when you play it.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #34
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Pete Townsend to me has to be the most over rated guitar player ever......
its his style...its music not sports....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #35
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Slingah...shut up! He sucks! .<period

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #36
Slipknot
Super Moderator

this thread is way over rated

in order to be over rated, something first has to be rated. OK, who did the rating?
Maybe it's a matter of taste.

I don't take offense bigfish because I know some bands are not understood like the Dead, you have to get to know what they are about. They even said once on Letterman "if we ever make a really good album, I'm sure they'll rush out and buy it" . Their live stuff is where their best stuff is, it's an experience thing. If you ever went to a show where they were all clicking together and they transition from China Cat Sunflower toI know you rider, then you'd know what "on" is. They mesh together and it's insane. Now you're making me go put a CD on

The Stones after 1980 are over rated

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #37
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I know what you mean Slip and I am not saying they are not a great band in the eyes of their fans who enjoy their music...all I am saying is that in your own opinion......who would any one individual think was over rated....just meant for some spirited comment from the many music lovers we have. I bet if I had seen the Dead live....(that sounds funny) if I had seen them live I bet I would have thought they were pretty darn good!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #38
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
in order to be over rated, something first has to be rated. OK, who did the rating?
dats it "."
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #39
Jimbo

I'm so bored at work today I'm actually going to jump in on this one. I think Slipknot is dead on ba11s accurate with his response. I think you really have to have some rating criteria for bands before you say one's overrated and another's underrated. I would think things like how consistently they're pumping out new material and not reshuffling the old stuff for yet another Greatest Hits album. Seems like a lot of people are citing specific examples of musicians' talents or lack thereof, that has to be a ratable trait. Someone needs to make up a scorecard.
BUT, I would at least agree with ChrisL and Twisted Sister, as well as most other heavy metal bands. I don't think it takes an ounce of talent to scream and play at a deafening volume while dressed like a sideshow act. Never thought Gun's 'N Roses was worth the price of admission, either. I have not seen a Rappin Mikey performace either so I won't pass judgement. Maybe at the next TFCTFN. Oh wait, sorry, this was rock bands. Hey a good and safe New Year everyone.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #40
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Quote:
this thread is way over rated

in order to be over rated, something first has to be rated.

Exactly

Which is why this doesn't qualify for "most over rated" I don't recall anyone evr characterizing them as one of the great rock bands. In fact they were ON VH1's "One Hit Wonders"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer
Iron Butterfly.....one hit wonder indagadadavida...

MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #41
LeCounts1099

The bands MANY think are "great" that I think are over-rated, or suck even:

1) Beatles. Someone earlier mentioned that obviously the Stones were making better/ balls-ier/ less commercial music around the same time. So were Cream, the Kinks, Blind Faith, the Who, & soon after Floyd, Led Zep, Tull, Traffic, & Yes & others. There's a very good reason the teenybopper girls chased & screamed for the Beatles... & not the Kinks nor Floyd! (Who would want to kiss David Gilmour back then?)

2) Van Halen. They suck, he sucks! All Eddie is is a musically inept fast-fretted show- off who can't write a song. IMHO they don't have a single "great" or even very good song musically (or lyrically). Most are downright cheesy & embarrassing (ever really listen to the-- inane-- lyrics to "Panama?") And the worst Bass player in Rock history hands- down!

3) U 2. I can't name one great nor musically impressive... nor creative/ unique U2 song. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a "good" song. That's it for them. Instrumentally inept, & cheesy pop sell- outs now since their early/ underground "punk image" days.

4) Springsteen. IF he was ever good... it was because his band had talent. HE sucks! Not one great-- or good!-- song from him in like 15+ years now?? (And the prick is anti- Cop to boot!). CAN I be the only one who thought even "Born in the USA" sucked big- time? I heard one song only from his new/ most recent album: on a 1 - 10 scale, I give it a 0. Embarrassingly bad (I wish I could recall the name-- no I don't!)

5) Green Day. Sorry, as they're hugely popular right now... Are their lyrics a bit edgy & interesting compared to the other drek out today? Maybe... But musically every song sounds alike to me (ok, their ballads all sound alike, and their "rockers" all sound alike!), & little discernable instumental talent going on. Even long- time "hard- core" Green Day fans abandoned the band years ago for "selling out." And they did: all the way to the bank, as their latest release was #4 top seller last year...

I'm done!
LeCounts1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #42
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

The Dead = Most overated group ever.
The Stones a close second.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCounts1099
1) Beatles. Someone earlier mentioned that obviously the Stones were making better/ balls-ier/ less commercial music around the same time. So were Cream, the Kinks, Blind Faith, the Who, & soon after Floyd, Led Zep, Tull, Traffic, & Yes & others. There's a very good reason the teenybopper girls chased & screamed for the Beatles... & not the Kinks nor Floyd! (Who would want to kiss David Gilmour back then?)

Gotta question you on that one.....you may not like their music, but pretty much every band you mention there needs to remember that it was The Beatles that either paved the way or inspired them to be the successes that they were.

Before the Beatles the Rock music in america was that 50's pop and do-wop style of music. The Beatles were the 1st british band to come over and they started the British Invasion that went on for a couple of years after that. Bands like Herman's Hermits, The Kinks, The Animals, The Zombies, The Yardbirds, and Even the Stones came over to america after The Beatles got the masses going on the New British Sound.

Granted the 1st couple of Beatles Albums were very Pop sounding in nature by today's standards, but remember at the time of there Release no one had ever heard of that style of Rock before so it was a totally new sound.

They Released 17 Albums in the US in the 7 years they were together, thats right they formed in 1963 and called it quits in 1970, all that music in a little over 7+ years.....and they didn't even hit America until 1964.

and you may not like their teeny-bopper image of the early years but their later albums were well composed and extremely well written and were years ahead of everything else that was coming out. Albums like Abby Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, and Abbey Road.

You may not like their music but you can't say they are Over-Rated. They have literally influenced 100's of the bands that you grew up on and even new bands that are still coming out

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #44
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

well said df!
Revolver is a mind blowing album, not only for the music they played, the Beatles took recording to new heights. Those albums you mentioned are masterpieces.
Most people credit the dead or hendrix with psychadelic music, but the beatles invented it. They brought the "drug" infllunece into R&R.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #45
janiejones
TB on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCounts1099
(Who would want to kiss David Gilmour back then?)
I would, he was cute.
janiejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #46
LeCounts1099

Hi, Dad F. ! Of course I expected a Beatles defense esp., & do understand all of your points... But: really, we're not disagreeing much at all-- except in our appreciation of Beatles music per se.

Your point/ defense is essentially how significant & ground-breaking they were-- but the question was, were they over-rated or not based upon their rep. I never did say they "suck" or were worthless-- like I did the others! But my point was a different one, that I feel you are tacitly agreeing to: that other/ contemporary bands of the time were "better": more talented, less commercial & more creative, better instrumentalists, etc. Sounds like you might agree that bands like Cream, Stones, Kinks, Jimi H., & Led Zep., etc., were "better"/ more impressive, & made "greater" music (as I believe). The debt/ "paving the way" issue is something else... but the best work of Jimi & Stones & Floyd & Cream slays any Beatles songs I've ever heard! ("I am the Walrus!! Koo- Koo- Ka- Choo!", over and over again, annoys me to heck! "We all live in a Yellow Submarine!!"-- ditto! )

DF: ever heard the Stones "Satanic Majesties Request?" It's essentially their half-tounge-in-cheek tribute to/ parody of the Beatles (musically it's in their style)... and it's an amazing/ awesome album! (Better than any Beatles stuff-- of course IMHO!). First song is one of their all- time best that most know: "She's a Rainbow" The rest of the Album is non- commercial/ experimental/ "concept"... & "psychedelic..." & so the critics & public panned or ignored it. I'd be curious if you've heard it... & how favorably you'd compare it to the "best" of the Beatles?

Final point on the Stones: much has been said about the over- rated talent level of Keith & the band-- that they're instrumentally nothing special/ "over-rated". True fans know who the musically "genius" Stones were-- as these guys produced the Stones very best Albums/ music: I'm talking about Brian Jones (RIP)... & Mick Taylor-- one of the best Guitar Players in Rock history! "Sticky Fingers..." "Goats Head Soup..." "It's Only Rock & Roll..." "Exile on Main St..." THESE are the musically superior Stones Albums, that I claim "better" than the Beatles best! Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #47
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Bands

Squibby......Hendrix=guitar god

Allman brothers...no one mention the Allman Brothers

I have to chime in again for the Jimmy Page work on Zeps albums, awesome.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #48
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

[QUOTE=Slipknot]

. If you ever went to a show where they were all clicking together and they transition from China Cat Sunflower toI know you rider, then you'd know what "on" is. They mesh together and it's insane. Now you're making me go put a CD on

oh man that's it!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #49
seabass
umm,the juicy sweets!!!!!

ALL BUT THE CLASH, GREAT MUSICAL GENUIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #50
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
If you ever went to a show where they were all clicking together and they transition from China Cat Sunflower toI know you rider, then you'd know what "on" is. They mesh together and it's insane. Now you're making me go put a CD on
Exactly. AN even better example would be tying that -oh so delicate- knot betwteen help & franklins. But obviously you undertand that, hence the handle.

I can't read this thread, because every time i read the dead, i cringe. i get palpatations when people say phish. but I guess thats why they make chocolate and vanilla.

_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #51
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman
You may not like their music but you can't say they are Over-Rated. They have literally influenced 100's of the bands that you grew up on and even new bands that are still coming out
Long live the Ruttles

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
Long live the Ruttles
All you need is cash

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #53
janiejones
TB on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass
ALL BUT THE CLASH, GREAT MUSICAL GENUIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love you SeaBass!!!! My favorite band of all time!

BTW, during my recent excursion to London, I decided to make a 'pilgrimage' to where "London Calling" was conceived and recorded. Call me a nerd, if you will, but as I was walking home ("on the route of the 19 bus"), I saw one single star in the sky. I was positive it was Joe.
janiejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #54
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs
Exactly. AN even better example would be tying that -oh so delicate- knot betwteen help & franklins. But obviously you undertand that, hence the handle.
_Z_
Like tying a bimini twist plus a huffnagle in the dark...
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #55
RickBomba

Somebody say rappin mikey show??? I been practicing, too...ended up in a karaoke showdown on NYE!!!
OOPs! Hijacking!!!
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #56
redneck24
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
Larry, as a guitar player for the last 40 years I must say that the Who's music is amongst my favorite. Townsends blending of acoustic riffs backed by power chords are thier not for the reasons one might think. True, lots of bands use the power chord as the main body of thier music. Bands in the big hair era like Motley Crue ( who I happen to love) and Ratt etc were no where near the musicians Townsend, Daltrey, Moon and Entwhistle were. The blending of the many tones both acoustic and slung low Les Paul with all knobs on ten were thier to convey the dramatic impact of the song and it's story rather than a 3 knot power chords wall of noise masking the inability and range of some supposed "super Stars". The Who's music is as technical as it comes along with Led Zepplin's. Ever try to keep up with Jimmy Page while playing along? Tough assignment for the best of them.
My fav players were Mick Ronson, Bowie's late lead man who was classically trained, Jeff Beck and PM'S fav, Frank Zappa, really a genuis when you think that he actually WROTE every note played on his albums.

Overated, The grateful dead to be sure, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and just about all the newer bands.

To be truely great on a guitar you have to be able to capture the emotion of the song, to convey through the notes you play the hurt, joy, emptiness of the piece and make it recognizable as such when you play it.
as a guitar player for the last 20 years, and avid heavy metal fan, the reason for the power chord being the main structure of the song is not a talent issue, its heavy metal, what you want beautiful melodic chords, no, we want fast grinding loud metal. and as for capturing emotion of a song, i fall asleep when i hear the who, you want emotion, lets talk about dimebag darrell (RIP) i want to rip the steering wheel out of my car everytime i hear one of his songs. kerry king, i get so worked up by his riffs that i want to smash my whole car with a baseball bat! now thats emotion i guess what i am getting at is the fact that metal is not a talent issue, ever tried to play a pantera song? probably not, try it sometime.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #57
Mugz

I can't say thses bands are overrated.....probably all great musicians but i change the station when they come on.....

U2, Greenday,Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith. WAY OVERPLAYED........liked some songs until they played them A gazillion times and ruined it for me.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #58
Saltheart

Who's Next!! Great Album

He doesn't like the Greatful Dead? I guess he really DOESN'T get it !!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #59
LeCounts1099

P. Townsend

Anyone who needs convincing that Pete T. of the Who IS a great Guitarist/ musician, here are the cuts to listen to:

--"Pure & Easy," Odds & Sods... --"Naked Eye," same... "Song is Over," Who's Next... "Love, Reign O'er Me," Quadrophenia... "Guitar & Pen," Who by Numbers...

TO name just a few... Enjoy!

Last edited by LeCounts1099; 01-03-2006 at 03:16 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #60
LeCounts1099

Pink Floyd

And, Mugz... Right on all others (Aerosmith hasn't made a great song in 14+ years!)...

But re. Floyd: mainstream (& other) radio plays 6 Floyd songs over & over, ad nauseam! Agreed! But 95% of their greatest music, no ones' ever heard! (On mainstream radio, anyway!)

PLEASE listen to/ try: (for instance):

--"Meddle" (all) ... --"Wish You Were Here " (every song)... "Animals" (all of it!)... --"The Wall" (every song on first 3 sides anyway, except "Another Brick Pt. 2!")... "Atom Heart Mother" (esp. side 2) --"The Final Cut" (all). THEN you will understand why to their fans: there's Pink Floyd, then everyone else in music history! Enjoy!