Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

5/30 minute epoxy

Is it possible to use a 5 or 30 minute epoxy on a guide. I replaced a guide on a back up rod and noticed my flex coat epoxy is pretty much solid. It doesn't have to look good, you should see my wrap job, just needs to be functional. Not sure where to mail order flex coat anymore.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
srt44116

I wouldn't do it. Just go to ur local shop and pick up some flex coat. They come in small kits and are pretty cheap. Where are you from?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
beamie

Will it function....ya, but not that good. Will get yellow over time and is not as flexible as coatings made for rods, it will crack easier....that is kind of the point.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Saltheart

5 minute will yellow and look like dried snots in no time , then it will crack up and flake off. 30 minute will survive longer but eventually will also turn snot yellow.

Just google rodbuilding supplies and almost all sell flex coat. If the hardener you have is still liquid but the resin part looks a little solid , like wax , you can just heat the resin up and it will liquify again. Even 5 year old flexcoat will be better than 5 or 30 minute epoxy. I would use polyurethane or varnish before using the epoxy.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Rob Rockcrawler

Thanks for the info guys. The resin is a little solid, pretty much like wax, so i will warm it up and give it a go. If i cant get it to the right consistency i will mail order some. Figure that muddy hole will have it. I am a bit intrigued as to what this yellow snot will actually look like.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

Worse comes to worse you can use hard as nails fingernail polish for a quick fix. You've got the time now just get one of those flex coat packs they sell now. small amount easy to use and not a lot of waste.There's a big diff between epoxy glue and finish. One has little flex the other has none plush finish has UV inhibitors to prevent yellowing. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote