Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
EarnedStripes44

Curt Schilling and Cooperstown

One of the best post season pitchers, I think we can agree on that. But is he Hall of Fame worthy? Just curious what some of you think, the topic has been buzzing on sportscenter.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

He's got one thing going for him, championship rings with different teams.

Not sure if he'll get in because he wasn't the dominate pitcher of his era but he certainly had an impact with the Sox, he should be in the Red Sox hall of fame for his guts and determination.

Pedro should get in, on another note
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
He's got one thing going for him, championship rings with different teams.

Not sure if he'll get in because he wasn't the dominate pitcher of his era but he certainly had an impact with the Sox, he should be in the Red Sox hall of fame for his guts and determination.

Pedro should get in, on another note
I agree 100%. If Schilling had put forth the effort early in his career that he did in the later stages, he would be HOF for sure. When he came up as a youngster, he was stubborn and didn't listen to anyone. That reflected on his performance and his stats. If you compare him to the other "great" pitchers of his era, he falls a little short of HOF qualifications. You have to compare him to guys like Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, R. Johnson, and Pedro. He falls short when compared to them. He compares more to a guy like Mussina, who was consistently very good, but not great for an extended period. Just my 2 cents.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
EarnedStripes44

very true..he blossomed after 30. His 3,000 strike outs will help his chances. But there are many other pitchers of the last 20 years who are in line before Big Schill. He will be on the ballot for several years, if he gets in.

Definitely a tough call.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

216 career wins, 3.46 career ERA, most of his career in the NL where ERAs tend to run lower due to no DH. Named to 6 AS games, only played in 3. 3000 strikeouts and some good post season numbers aside, those aren't HOF numbers. And no Cy Youngs.

What also hurts is that on his better teams, he was the #2 starter behind Johnson in Arizona, and Pedro/Beckett in Boston.

Uphill fight and I don't know what kind of support he'll get from voters outside of New England and Phoenix. I could be wrong, but I don't think they think very highly of him in Philly

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
NO !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Saltheart

The stats and his career may be borderline HOF but The World Series Bloody Sock gets him in.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
The stats and his career may be borderline HOF but The World Series Bloody Sock gets him in.
The only guy I know of who made it in off one single WS event was Bill Mazerowski--and it took the Veterans' Committee to enshrine him. He was a good glove shortstop with a weak bat, along the lines of Mark Belanger, but he won Game 7 of the 1960 WS for the Pirates with a walk-off home run.

Dan Larsen's perfect game in the WS didn't get him in.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
The guy who sold Curt his house in Medfield Ma. has about the same chance of getting into the NFL hall of fame !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The only guy I know of who made it in off one single WS event was Bill Mazerowski--and it took the Veterans' Committee to enshrine him. He was a good glove shortstop with a weak bat, along the lines of Mark Belanger, but he won Game 7 of the 1960 WS for the Pirates with a walk-off home run.

Dan Larsen's perfect game in the WS didn't get him in.
I think if all he ever did was the bloody sock routine , it might not do it but that on top of a HOF borderline carreer performance puts him over the top. I also think with so many players of that age group being tainted by the steroid scandle , it ups his chances some.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
ThomCat

Hell of a pitcher, a big game pitcher, but I don't see it. Not that it would make a difference but he talks too much.

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote