Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
ripitsik

Sluggo's

Just wanted to know people's experience on them??? It seems like whenever I use them, I don't have much luck. What color's work the best?? I just see or hear about other people catch on them and I never have luck with them..
ripitsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
cow tamer

Rainbow trout at night, slow with subtle rod twitches for stripers. Faster and more action for blues.
cow tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Clammer

Too many different styles & ways // colors

read captain jim white,s book or go listed to Steve V/S

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
labrax

black or red/black for night. Arkansas shiner, white for daytime use would be good start. Do a search on rigging them with 2 hooks - Steve McKenna a member here did a nice article in On The Water magazine last September ('05) I think - very easy to follow and a effective way to rig the 9" sluggos.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
ripitsik

Do guys know if there is any literature or websites out there on how to jig sluggo's. I t sounds like a stupid question but I havent really had much luck with sluggos this yr believe it or not. It is possibly because of lack of experience, but I would like to find an effective way of jiggin them. Thanks for ur input guys
Old 10-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Pete_G

Jig or rig?

For rigging I like a Pt. Jude Wobble Head. Easy, fast, and effective. Put the Sluggo on the Wobble Head, one sluggo weight in the tail, and you're ready to fish.

With double rigged Sluggos, at least where I fish, I'm constantly hooking and landing bluefish. I just assume not have a second hook and let the blue have the Sluggo. It would have been a lost cause anyways. Rarely do I miss a fish, if it's a striper. It happens, but rarely.

For jigging a Sluggo for tuna, try the 1.5 Owner Seabullet head with the 9, or the 1 ounce with the 7.5" Sluggo. Not sure what the tuna think it is, but they're into it. Rainbow trout color for the tuna.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripitsik View Post
Do guys know if there is any literature or websites out there on how to jig sluggo's. I t sounds like a stupid question but I havent really had much luck with sluggos this yr believe it or not. It is possibly because of lack of experience, but I would like to find an effective way of jiggin them. Thanks for ur input guys
keep experimenting... i don't have much experience with the either but they sure do produce at the right times... (usually night) when the eels are gone you will be glad you had put the time in with these scrumpcious artifitials. I use the double rig method it seems to work well for someone who still needs to get the feel of them.

jigging? i have no idea.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
MartinD18

...or just go with a Hogy that comes with a two-hook rig that takes like 30 seaconds to do and catches better than a Slug-Go sometimes because it swims better, plus the plastic is stronger.
MartinD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
ripitsik

Yeah Martin,

I was lookin at the hogy's for next season and they seem like they could be deadly. I also read that the wobble head with the sluggo is a great match as well. I just have to catch a few fish on sluggos to understand the feeling that comes with the strike and also how to properly jig the sluggo. This just feels like when you are tryin to explain to someone how to drive a standard car... I can explain it to you but you just have to do it to get the idea...

With the wobble head and sluggo do you bump them up and down on the bottom, just like a regualr jighead and sluggo??? or is there a different method???

Thanks Fellas
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
steve24

I havent had much expierience with the sluggos in the salt, what size weights would be recomended for the 9 inch. I tired using cut nails, but i didnt feel like i was getting the action that i should with the sluggos.
steve24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

bumped....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve24 View Post
I havent had much expierience with the sluggos in the salt, what size weights would be recomended for the 9 inch. I tired using cut nails, but i didnt feel like i was getting the action that i should with the sluggos.
try sticking four finishing nails (i think the ones i use are 2" long) in the head. this will keep the head down in moderate current and the action is great...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
try sticking four finishing nails (i think the ones i use are 2" long) in the head. this will keep the head down in moderate current and the action is great...
that works much better than the tail end for
Old 11-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Sluggoslinger

From a boat, i'll drift the rips with them. I use a 1 oz jig head at the most and cast up the current then do a very slow retrieve just bouncing it off the bottom. I like white, pink and gray during the day. I use it when the sand eels are around. I also try to use the least possible weight to just get it to the bottom but make it look natural. Also get them back in the boat within 50-75' past the rip or you'll have a doggie and be re-rigging all day. I've had some good days with sluggos but nothing, NOTHING compares to some nice fresh bait rigged right.

Also i use either the 4" or the 6" but I'm trying to imitate sand eels not regular eels.

Tie direct as well. I never ever use snaps for anything ever.

They are my fall back when the sand eels are around. This year I might switch to Ron-z's but they are really expensive so I'll at least give em a try.
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggoslinger View Post
I've had some good days with sluggos but nothing, NOTHING compares to some nice fresh bait rigged right.

Sometimes sluggos is all that will work where I fish in the summer. I am also in a tin boat and fishing during the daylight hours. Sight fishing. My canal buddies use them on jigs and do real well. They have basicly given up on eelskins and use them and Ronz. Practice makes perfect.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #16
Flaptail

Where I fish in June in my skiff, sluggos are the only thing we use. I probably catch 3 to 4 hundred fish a year on them between May and July. This is all light tackle fishing with 6 inch sluggos on a 5/0 Texposer hook in 3 feet or less of water.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
steve24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

Thank you. The problem always seemed that the sluggo wasnt staying down very well. I will definetly give that a try.
steve24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
vanstaal
woody

/www.surfhoglures.com/
they r great

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a
Clipboard.
vanstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #19
FishermanTim

They are my "go to" lure. I do use other plastics as well as tossing plugs, but I tend to have more action using 9 inch with 1/4-1/2 inch trimmed from the tip, rigged STRAIGHT on no less that a 1 oz. jig.
If I pre-rig a bunch, I'll glue the hook shaft to extend the lure's life.
My favorite colors fall into 2 categories: day/moonlit night or dark moonless night
day/moonlit night - white, bubblegum, green w/metal flakes, blue w/metal flakes and black w/metal flakes (see the pattern?)
Dark/moonless nights - arkansas shiner, alewife, black and red.
This year, the traditional theory (dark colors on dark nights, light colors on moonlit nights) didn't hold true. In fact, it was almost the complete opposite.
As with any new technique, you learn more through trial and error.
I have been teaching my brother the basics, like learning how to tell the difference between the Slug-go bumping the bottom, and a fish s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up off the bottom. (I'm SOOOO glad I switched to braid last year.)
The best method for "learning" is to pick up a pack of a few different colors, based on traditional wisdom, and rig a couple of each and hit the water for a little "field trip".
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #20
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

You nailed it,,,, jig head and the colors /times/light conditions,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:37 AM   #21
quick decision

I have had similar success as some of you stated. Sluugo's have some great action. The twitch and pause drives bass bonkers. I have never had any luck with heavy jig heads. I guess I have to put more time in.

thats why they call it fishing not catching
quick decision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

the faster the water the heavier the lead... I have even 3 wayed them drifting with no weight and done well,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #23
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

am i the only one who has a problem with their durability? i usually only get 1-3 fish on them before the body slips down the front hook shank. I use super glue, maybe i just dont use enough??? I saw in OTW that the hogy company is making glue made for soft plastics. that's on next year's list along with the hogy's.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #24
PoPin Plug

Send a message via AIM to PoPin Plug
i havent tried them..... i s*ck at getting hooks staight..... thats partly why i dont use them

Last edited by PoPin Plug; 02-04-2007 at 07:52 AM..

i need fish!
PoPin Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #25
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPin Plug View Post
i havent tried them..... i s*ck and getting hooks staight..... that a partly well mostly why i doont use them
i just bought a s load of them and practices... by the third or fourth package it started to look ok.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
chuckg

Wrap the hook with some thread and glue to the thread, holds better than directly glueing to metal....
chuckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #27
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg View Post
Wrap the hook with some thread and glue to the thread, holds better than directly glueing to metal....
yea that how to floating around does the trick..

zap a gap....sticky stuff
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
PaulS

The only problem I have had rigging them is sometimes the glue hardens to fast and sort of puckers up the rubber and burns it. I'm going to try the slower setting zap a gap.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #29
Casting Z's

In my book, it's BLACK Slug-go's and Needles at night. My best fish and the most fish of my last season was caught on the slug, no weight no double hook. Just a SUPER SHARPENED #9 Slug-go hook, is what I see as the best for that neutral buoyancy twitch-ability effect.
Super glue works great, as it bonds the jelly to the hook shaft. But, you need to move fast and be as accurate as possible. Also, you need to apply a little to all the hook penetrations and exits. I have been able to catch several average fish from one glued rig and never more than one really good fish from the glued rig. But at that point, who cares. What a fight!!!
This was my best last season, caught on the Slug! It was released to fight another day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.php.jpg (46.2 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Casting Z's; 02-03-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Casting Z's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #30
thortum

I just posted a loooong reply and it disappeared!! This thing is driving me craaaaaazzzzzyyyy!!!
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote