Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
rphud
GrandBob

Beers in a "mini-keg"

Have a smallish party coming up and was thinking of getting a couple of mini keg thingies. Don't know who all uses them. Any ideas or recommendations?
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
spence

If you like beer they're a good deal. Most are under 20 bucks and just shy of a 12 pack in volume.

About as close to draught for some interesting beers as you're going to get...depending on what your local shops will carry.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Saltheart

I used to buy Dinkel Acker in mini kegs and refill the mini kegs with homebrew. The Dinkel mini was brown. There was also another brand I used that was mostly white with a little green and gold.

The only drawback I found was you need to use it all fairly quickly if you use a gravity tap cause it will go flat ( no fizz). If you have a system that uses the mini CO2 cartridges , it will stay carbonated.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
flyvice11787

Some of the micro-breweries use small 5 gallon kegs. I know I can order stuff from Southampton in that size. Great for parties .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
JohnnySaxatilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvice11787 View Post
Some of the micro-breweries use small 5 gallon kegs. I know I can order stuff from Southampton in that size. Great for parties .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
In the strategic words of the dude, "Thats F'ing interesting"

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Saltheart

many advanced homebrewers use the 5 gallon soda cans to keg beer. They are called "cornelius kegs". I use to have 3 or 4 different styles in the Conelius egs all hooked up in a row to the CO2 bottle through a manifold. You can also use the kegs and CO2 bottle to force carbonate the beer. thus , after the fermentation , you don't need to add priming sugar and wait a week or so. just attach a CO2 bottle and shake the beer in the keg and in just a short time you will have a carbonated product. many a time I force carbonated then put it in bottles for beer contests. lots of time that forced carbonation saved my butt when I was running late for a contest and there was no time left for natural carbonating the beer.

Big issue with using soda kegs is you need to rense and clean them a lot to get out any traces of soda. You will lose 5 gallons of beer instantly if there is any soda taste or smell left in the keg. I had special fitting hooked up to the soda keg quick disconnects and I would flush them with hot water , open and scrob , flush again , add bleach water , flush again and a final rinse with water plus iodophor before kegging. Once you get the kegs cleaned for beer the first time , reuseing them for subsequent batches was much easier. I once lost 5 gallons to a sick lemon or lime taste that somehow survived the wash and flush routine. just the slightest hint of that sugary lime taste makes the beer very undersireable.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote