Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Alcohol Meter

I made some stuff recently and someone let me borrow an "aerometer" to assist in finding it's "proof" but I'm not sure how to apply it. Hoping that someone here has a clue and can explain how to convert its reading into something that makes sense to me. It's neither a hydrometer nor an alcohol meter.

It's European...and the name on the box reads: Aerometro Cartier

Mr. Google tells me it reads density, but the numbers are confusing when I try to compare it to the other meters. It only has 2 scales and the numbers read in the opposite direction compared to the other "meters".

Based on my limited knowledge and experience in using these devices, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a hydrometer is used when measuring beer and wine and an alcohol meter is used to measure spirits and liquids of higher alcohol content. I believe the "Aerometro" is the European version of the alcohol meter, but I just can't make sense of the conversion.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ameter.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	53575  

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote