Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #151
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
That's pretty interesting Joe. What do you attribute that to? Are water temps in line with previous years? Bait seems to be in many places but not fish. Do you think it's just a lack of fish? Or are conditions different keeping them out?

everything is in line to be "average" Water temps have been good.. certainly no lack of bait... there have been a few exceptional fish around.. those that have been caught have been caught by those that fish every day or camp on the beach for an entire week fishing around the clock..I applaud their dedication... but there are no big pods of them...I have not fished as hard as I have in the past... partly due to the lack of fish...partly due to local weather conditions versus the tides timing .. maybe mostly because I'm just plain getting old and need more sleep than I used to and my bones hurt.. 5 years ago I'd hammer 4 nights in a row regardless of the outcome...and still be to work on time in the morning. Sometimes straight out of the boat. That being said...each season for the last few years there's been less and less quality fish in spots that have historically held them...that area I fished in my last report ALWAYS had at least one jumbo hiding somewhere if you stick it out when the tidal conditions are "right"... I've taken 6 of my 18 fish over 50 from that location. This season it just hasn't been the case.. I can't find them in them in the marshes ...on the flats or out on the beach of even in the rocks. There just are not a lot of them around my area. There are large schools of pogies out on the beach...unmolested.. nothing that I can see has changed except for the lack of fish.... striped bass are cyclical in the numbers migrating to certain areas...so it may just be part of that cycle.. one that has lasted for me anyway... for 40 years...last night that place I fished last week was devoid of life, the school of fish I ran into a few nights ago is gone...if the wind and fog doesn't get me tonight( it made my life miserable last night) ..I'll be back hoping that a tide change will bring in some fish...if my years on the water have taught me nothing else.. every thing can turn on one tide..

so I guess the short answer is.. a combination of lack of quality fish ( there are all the micro to 26" bass you want catch) and lack of effort on my part = a down season.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #152
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfish View Post
wdmso- I ran down to the Sakonnet river looking for some blues this morning. The fog wasn't good but I made it and found some blues but once it began to clear the albies showed up in the river above Fogland. They were really fussy keying in on the pnutz and there is a lot of bait around for them to chose from.
Ron

Ron they were at that spot today and Farther North by the Island and tight lipped for sure took 3hr and all my tackle .. total match the hatch
luckly found 2 of the smallest Storm shads I didn't know I had.. 1st cast fish on unusable for a 2nd cast used the last one same outcome .. then back to trying everything .. left happy but frustrated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_415.jpg (201.4 KB, 20 views)
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #153
basswipe

Big bluefish in the river,lots of smaller keeper bass underneath.Really hoping for an albie as its the only location I've ever caught one.Loving the jobsite I'm on...great access and no one else.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #154
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Well after a 6 yr layover( f'n kids) was convinced to finally make a return to my island aka cutty last nite
And it was no bueno.
Biggest water i ever attempted to fish. Hawaii pipeline giant. Miracle we didnt get seriously hurt. Sounded like a freight train speedin by and a 747 goin over head at the same time. Rattled your soul. Not the triumphant return i was anticipating but still nice to kiss my old magic stone and catch some flip flops and not gettin eatin by a shark
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Always cool to get back to a favorite spot you haven't been able to get to for awhile... Sounds like it was crazy but you had fun...
BTW, how are the waves locally, pretty sure I saw you headed that way today 330ish?
I'm not going fishing, just curious.
Probably going to head down for a look tomorrow..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #155
BMEUPSCOTTY

Either that or you were going to get eels...
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #156
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Was able to get on some larger fish than the schoolies that have been around all season. I think the fall has begun in earnest.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #157
Rmarsh

Went out yesterday morning in the boat to look for albies. No trouble finding them. Problem was getting them to bite... threw almost everything I had at them. Had a few hits but landed none.....several other boats around and didn't see anyone catching.

Headed back to the ramp to get home in time to watch the Patriots. After the game went out to fish from shore for stripers, with much better results. Went home tired but very happy.
I love fall fishing and will try to get out there as many nights as I can.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #158
scottw

from what I've seen the last few days the fishing is better than before the storm, the water remained clear and the bait is still thick....hope it stays like this for a bit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame-25-09-2017-11-06-51 copy.jpg (158.4 KB, 76 views)
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:23 AM   #159
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Was able to get on some larger fish than the schoolies that have been around all season. I think the fall has begun in earnest.....
Agreed, peanuts popping up in all areas of Cape Ann and fish of all sizes on them. Even saw some mackerel flying out of the water and gannets dive-bombing, sure signs that the run is on. Hope it is a long one....

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #160
Rockfish9

Saturday nothing in the river but rats on the incoming. ..Monday night..less rats than Saturday. ..last nights...crickets. ..other than the ocasional sturgeon jump...the only sound was the surf crashing on the beach a mile away. ..
Old 09-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #161
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

For more than a week the surf has wrecked both beach and boat stuff along the lower Elizabeths. Sparse pickings elsewhere. Gobs of peanuts everywhere but few fish on them.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #162
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Took a few small fish on darters on an absolutely beautiful night last night. Had the whole shoreline to myself with a spectacular sun set. Doesn't get any better than that.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #163
t.orlando

It's over
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #164
Rockfish9

Last night. ..less than crickets...just some knuckle head and his spot light...blinded me several times. ..justice was served when grounded out on the mussel shoal...as he burned my retinas for the last time I said with a big ole grin buck up little camper...the tide will rise enough in about 4 hours"..to set you afloat.....on a positive note...I think I should be able to get out on the beach this weekend. ..I hope the weed subsides with the waves.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #165
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Chased 2 schools this AM on Ohio Ledge. I don't think they were Blues. I think they were Albies. I couldn't catch my ass with both hands.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #166
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Blew off work today and went to the river we love to hate last night into mid morning. 🐀s
All is back to normal.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #167
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Chased 2 schools this AM on Ohio Ledge. I don't think they were Blues. I think they were Albies. I couldn't catch my ass with both hands.

They seem to be the Farthest north I have ever seen them ... still tons of Bait going out Sun \Mon for albies any suggestion where to start encouraged
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #168
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
They seem to be the Farthest north I have ever seen them ... still tons of Bait going out Sun \Mon for albies any suggestion where to start encouraged
With me Sunday , tog also, maybe fairhaven ,,, I'll txt ya
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #169
Sea Dangles

I have moved my ride to Scituate to close out the year chasing bluefin. So far it is great👍🏿
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #170
numbskull

Smart man, Chris. How far you running to find them?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #171
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I've seen them just below the bridge on the Sakonnet and below the Mt Hope yesterday...seem to be everywhere
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #172
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Smart man, Chris. How far you running to find them?
Scituate harbor is 15 miles from SWC. I usually get bait there and fish SEC. there is a great spin bite out another 15 miles.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #173
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I have moved my ride to Scituate to close out the year chasing bluefin. So far it is great👍🏿
Hmm And I was going to text about albies and tog. Good luck with Charlie. Long range weather window looks pretty good.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #174
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Drive the whole length and fished sandy
Neck last night for 1 small fish. Snuck inside B Harbor for the last 2 hours of the tide for a few small fish. Slow is my take right now. Albie wise tons of bait at Dowses and along Craigville but did not see many shore or boat fishermen yesterday afternoon or this morning. I am sure there are some around but I would not drive miles to fish there as of today. Must be better hunting grounds elsewhere I would imagine. Tomorrow who knows.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #175
Guppy
User

Walked a north side beach myself last evening also Paul,,, weedy at spots and tons of bait in the wash... Narda. :-(
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #176
numbskull

Caught a 30" fish walking the dog this am. Felt as full of myself as if I'd landed a 40 lb'er. Best fish I've caught in two weeks, and that includes burning about $100 worth of fuel looking for 'em. Sucks being stupid.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #177
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Caught a 30" fish walking the dog this am. Felt as full of myself as if I'd landed a 40 lb'er. Best fish I've caught in two weeks, and that includes burning about $100 worth of fuel looking for 'em. Sucks being stupid.
welcome to my world.. been that way the entire summer with exception of a few nights...2 weeks and the boat has to be off the dock... I wont shed a tear this year.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #178
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Smile

Took some friends and family for a low impact trip to state beach in W-ly on Saturday night.

High slack was about 6 pm ish.

We were lobbing some herring chunks. Buddy landed his first surf striper ever - 32 inches. He said "it made my arms burn."

Fish was promptly released.

A slow night but man after the rain died down around 5:30 ish - it was just gorgeous out. Was happy to be there soaking up the scenery.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #179
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

forgot to mention the fish's belly was covered with red sores. don't know what to make of that other than it might have been a sick fish.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #180
hq2

Yakked off of Marblehead. Beautiful trip, a few other boats out, some yakkers, one of whom saw a small blitz. Caught one 24" striper on a sluggo; no other action. Too bad they were out of worms; I think T & W might have worked better.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote