Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Alcohol Meter

I made some stuff recently and someone let me borrow an "aerometer" to assist in finding it's "proof" but I'm not sure how to apply it. Hoping that someone here has a clue and can explain how to convert its reading into something that makes sense to me. It's neither a hydrometer nor an alcohol meter.

It's European...and the name on the box reads: Aerometro Cartier

Mr. Google tells me it reads density, but the numbers are confusing when I try to compare it to the other meters. It only has 2 scales and the numbers read in the opposite direction compared to the other "meters".

Based on my limited knowledge and experience in using these devices, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a hydrometer is used when measuring beer and wine and an alcohol meter is used to measure spirits and liquids of higher alcohol content. I believe the "Aerometro" is the European version of the alcohol meter, but I just can't make sense of the conversion.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ameter.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	53575  

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Here ya Go....Everything you need to know...

Hydrometer Usage - Calibration and Specific Gravity Tables

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Jenn

Yep. Hydrometer is to measure the density or the sugars which effects density . read through the info TDF inserted the link for. You will need to make a measurement before and after fermentaion to calculate your alchohol content.

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Nebe

Correct.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Nebe

There are companies that will take a sample you send them and provide you with the AbV. ( alcohol by volume).
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
There are companies that will take a sample you send them and provide you with the AbV. ( alcohol by volume).
The closest one to you is TDF ABV Analyses Services.

I'll PM you the Address...I'm pretty sure they require 6 samplings to make an accurate assessment. 6 Samplings x 16 oz. each.

Throw in a Bag of Pretzels for Priority Service

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Nebe

Hahahaha!!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Nebe

I love google

From the 18th century until 1 January 1980, the United Kingdom measured alcohol content in terms of "proof spirit", which was defined as spirit with a gravity of 12/13 that of water, or 923kg/m3, and equivalent to 57.15% ABV .[1] The term originated in the 18th century, when payments to British sailors included rations of rum. To ensure that the rum had not been watered down, it was "proved" by dousing gunpowder in it, then tested to see if the gunpowder would ignite. If it did not, then the rum contained too much water and was considered to be "under proof". Gunpowder would not burn in rum that contained less than approximately 57.15% ABV. Therefore, rum that contained this percentage of alcohol was defined to have "100° (one hundred degrees) proof".
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I have no issues with using a hydrometer nor the alcohol meter. I have both, took a preliminary reading with the hydrometer and a close to 'full-fermentation-cure' reading to calculate the results (will do it again when I know it's done for sure, my air-lock still burps every 2 hours or so).

Luckily the scale on my alcohol meter has a suitable range for cross-checking the hydrometer. The results are deathly close, so I'm happy

However, the Aerometer scale does not match any reading on the other 2 meters. I can't make the correlation??? Not even sure what the numbers stand for AND they read in reverse??? When I place it into the test cylinder, it reads 20. 3 scales on the hydrometer and 2 scales on the alcohol meter, nothing close to 20 anything?? Didn't know if anyone in here had used or seen one like this before. No big deal, like I said...someone had it hanging around and asked if I could use it (it's from the old country) guessing it was used to measure white lightening...,,,

I'm pretty much where I wanted to be, 15% or 30 proof, however you care to look at it,... cHeErs everyone!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Nebe

What did you make?? Curious.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Jenn

Sorry Bloo...was thinking about this more. Is it possible that it could be the balling scale in reverse? Though not sure why that would be made that way other than in error?

Simplify.......
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Saltheart

Its a hydrometer with a different scale other than specific gravity. Specific gravity is always relative to water. water has a specific gravity of 1 but ethanol has an SG of about .789. So if you mix water with alchohol , its density (the water's) goes down. The water would have a bouyant force of 1 gram per CC of water. If the meter is set in pure water , it should sink to the first line wich would have some sort of zero reading. The more achohol , the lower the specific gravity and therefore the lower boyant force. The meter will sink deeper into the liquid.

Now in your specific case , an instrument of that type can only be used with a single reading if you assume there is nothing else in your brew except water and alchohol. This is almost never the case in a brew but is approximately accurate for a liquid distilled from an achohol/water/low sugar mix. In this case a single test of the distillate can be used to closely approximate the alchohol content . The scale inside though must be adjusted to measure a value based on the assumed pure alchohol/pure water mixture with no unfermented sugar (or salt , etc) .

So anyway.

You numbers showing 15% alchohol are almost certainly in error if its a homebrew beer. . If you tell us your OG and FG reading its easy to figure out. If its a wine or mead brewed with a champagne yeast , you may have approached 15% alchohol. As a wine it will have little unfermented sugar (dextrines) and the Champagne yeast can attenuate to about a 14.8% alchohol by volume. As I said , I can calculate the almost exact alchohol by volume if you either tell me the OG and FG or give me a complete list of ingredients. If we know the OG and FG data , we can likely figure out the scale on your hygrometer and why it reads 20 in the finished brew..

No beer yeast will attenuate to that level of alchohol and all homebrews (in contrast to distillates) will have residual unfermented sugar in the form of dextrines.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Now in your specific case , an instrument of that type can only be used with a single reading if you assume there is nothing else in your brew except water and alchohol. This is almost never the case in a brew but is approximately accurate for a liquid distilled from an achohol/water/low sugar mix. In this case a single test of the distillate can be used to closely approximate the alchohol content . The scale inside though must be adjusted to measure a value based on the assumed pure alchohol/pure water mixture with no unfermented sugar (or salt , etc) .

...this *meter, based on further research and direct questioning...was definitely used in the testing of white lightening or rather moonShine as I prefer to call it. I spoke to an old timer and he told me that when they made shine back on the island, a reading of 20 would equate to roughly 120 proof. Does that help you in figuring out what the "20" stands for? Density?

Yes, you are correct Saltheart, it's not a homebrew, <see picture below> AND, the 20 reading did not come from the press. It came from something else...,

The wine, although it has a high reading..is surprisingly tasty. Past generations in my family have made wine that not only measured high, but should have been considered more of a port wine or borderline brandy (IMO).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WM.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	53611  

Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Saltheart

My guess is that its "proof" above 100 proof. That is if its used on a distillate , it reads zero at 100 proof and 20 at 120 proof but that's just a guess. Technically 100 proof is 57% alc but most everyone in modern times would say 100 proof is 50 percent alc.

Best way to test it would be to stick it in Vodka of a known proof and see what the scale reads. I think you will need at least 100 proof vodka or it probably will not sink at all.

Saltheart
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Nebe

^ brilliant!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Jenn

or you could just send me a sample and I can have it tested at work. I think the sample size needs to be at least a gallon for an accurate reading though!

Simplify.......
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...UPS or FedEx?

As silly as that sounds Saltheart (no offense meant), but that makes perfect sense. I also measured some 140 proof specimens crosschecking them on the alcohol meter vs. this aerometer and it was spot on 40.

Thanks team!!! I need look no further....I should have used the KISS principle right from the beginning...

Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Where do you adult beverage makers purchase your goods?
Who's a reputable dealer?
Local or on the net...

Looking for bottles, corks, liquid fining agents (Insinglass)...

Found a bunch, but would like to hear who you've used and your experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
Saltheart

Hoppy Brewer in Attleboro (on RT 152) .They have a store and a web site. Been buying from then since 1986 or so. Good products at reasonable prices , good service. They have brewing days for networking , etc. Good place. He does wine too. Pretty much has or can get almost anything.

Saltheart
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Thank you - Stopped in there yesterday,, after driving by it twice...(place is freakin hidden, especially when you leave the street address at home) Funny thing is, I stopped and asked a few people not far from there at all and nobody had a clue what I was talking about. They thought I was looking for a pub...

Picked up most of what I wanted for a LOT less than expected.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Saltheart

Yes it is tucked away in the back but there is a sign on the main road. Tony is a great guy and I think his prices are the best around for a store. His online prices are also some of the best around.

Saltheart
Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Nebe

I would go there, but thats a long drive for me... Down here in South County I have Craft Brew Supplies in Hope Valley... Such a great place.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Just so everyone knows, the Hoppy Brewer in Attleboro is no more. It is strictly an online business now. Disappointing, as I truly enjoyed the small-shop, personal-touch atmosphere.
Hoping to find something closer than Hope Valley now, but no luck so far.

Got this year's batch in its second fermentation stage. Tried a couple of different blends. Trying to infuse some White Moscato w/Red Raspberries and a handful or two of Zinfandel grapes. Tasting pretty good right now, not sure if I should try to stop the fermentation where it is now to preserver the sweetness or re-sweeten after it completes its cycle.
Anyone else brewing wine right now?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I would go there, but thats a long drive for me... Down here in South County I have Craft Brew Supplies in Hope Valley... Such a great place.

I noticed a "For Sale" sign on their property. Have they been sold Eben? I'd call before going, but didn't know if you knew first hand as your local.

Thanks ~

Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Nebe

I believe they rent. Hopefully it won't effect them.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Anyone else brewing wine right now?

Have a one gallon experiment of homegrown basil wine (well, made with honey so more of a mead I guess) due to be racked..

Equipment soaking in sanitizer now and starting Reisling in a few minutes

on the beer side I have a batch of Dogfish 60 minute going in the secondary today as well.

Simplify.......
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
Saltheart

Tony from Hoppy Brewer is doing mail order but he also delivers within a certain distance of Attleboro. Give him a call.

The next closest store is likely Basement Brewhaus in Providence near the State House. There is also one in Woonsocket , RI on Park Ave , I forget the name but you can search for them online to get their info.

Saltheart
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
Saltheart

Jenn is brewing up a storm!!

Saltheart
Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #29
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Jenn is brewing up a storm!!
Yup...cant seem to get myself to the shore for fishing this year so I might as well brew/drink!

Besides my job is killing me and if my day dream of make a living of brewing, fishing, winning the lottery or being a professional snowmobile racer are to ever come true I have the best chances of being paid for brewing so I best get the pratice in now, right? Lol

Simplify.......
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
Saltheart

Have enough strong brew around and you can be a professional snowmobile racer any time your imagination desires it!

Saltheart