Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Karl F

Prof. M.. they're back

winter moth catepillars, raining down on me this AM, whilst I was out playing in the dirt..(yardwork) this AM.. they defoliated me last year.. How are they your way?
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Raven

shh shh shhhhh

for him it's like Alfred Hitchcock's
the birds

don't get him goin
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Karl F

or....maybe the Prof. got rid of them, or just sent them here. trees are about 2/3 defoliated now here, and the worm poo is deep on every flat surface.. walk thru their "webbing" everywhere in the yard too. chainsaw looks like only reasonable solution.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Same here Karl. Got white vehicles under the tree too..... Hate 'em

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

terrible Karl. Been eating everything for 2 weeks now. My oaks look like crap. I just pray no gypsy moths as that double whammy will probably kill them for sure. They can't take this year after year. I am really thinking of taking a couple down. I have one with a canopy of a 1/4 acre right over my house. Beautiful white oak. It would be real hard getting used to that being cut down but the mess is really getting old. Probably at least 3 years of wood in that one. Trunk is 25 feet of straight timber. A boat builders dream. At least the winter moths are early eaters and the trees should be able to leaf out, I hope. Sucks though, real bad.

the problem is this crap weather. They get in the bud and start there. If we have warm sunny weather the buds pop out quick and the pillars don't have enough time to do complete damage but this cool damp cloudy weather keeps the buds closed and thus they get to stay in there eating a lot longer. Spraying is too darn expensive. All my apples and pears are ruined. Blueberries are borderline ruined. Really getting hard to raise anything. The fruit buds can't be sprayed with insecticide as the little pillars are inside the bud and thus unattainable. Dormant oil can help a little but this weather spells doom for them. Buds stays closed longer pillars do massive damage. Depressing.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 05-22-2011 at 06:05 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Duke41
got gas?

I have Tree Tec spray in the spring. But the weather is not right for spraying and my trees are getting hammered. A tough situation. The birds are loving it though. The robins are so fat they can hardly fly. They all have beer bellies.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Raven

hmmm

good to know about the robins eating them

i have so many robins they are a nuisance

those caterpillars don't stand a chance around here.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Slingah

trees are bad......

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
cheferson

You guys try getting some BT and spraying them down? Natural , and doesn't harm beneficial insects or mammals .
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
leo33

same problem here.they have destroyed one oak so bad that you would swear the leaves never bloomed.i don't think it can take it anymore.
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
You guys try getting some BT and spraying them down? Natural , and doesn't harm beneficial insects or mammals .
BT does works good but to get it into a 70 foot tree you need comm. type sprayers and add wind and your neighbors don't spray and they just fly along in the wind on webs of silk into your yard. Just plain sucks. Small trees with hand sprayers are ok that way. The comm. guys are probably using a combo of BT and some other stuff. I just hope gypsy moths are not bad this year as they would be just starting.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Rockfish9

After reading this.. I finally have found a reason to like my pine trees...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Karl F

car was spotless less than 24 hours prior to picture..

whats left of chewed leaves.. saw first gypsy catepillar Monday, so they got next..if the little green bastages left them anything worth chewing.

that some nasty chit to clean, the worm poo and liquid excretion combined with the pine and oak pollen.. sticky gooey chit.. go thru some bug juice in the morning with the wipers on full tilt for a few minutes just so ya can see out!

Last edited by Karl F; 10-24-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

not much on truck today and oaks have leafed back out so i guess it is pretty much over here. Don't think gypsy moths will be a problem this year here. If you got gypsy's after the winter moths it sucks to be you. I have seen gypsy moths eat lawns after they have eaten all the pine trees which is after they already had eaten all the oaks. I really hate them and their crap is even worse than winter moths. I have had the gutters overflowing the sides with crap.