Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
jasonsnova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: petersham,ma
Posts: 217
new GOM cod regs are out

just read them,,..... 9 fish @ minimum of 19"
19 seems small for cod but i guess its to prevent dead throw backs...
better than what people were talking about @ 2 fish
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Finlander
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Finlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 211
Just wait till next year!!!!

Tight Lines!!!!
Finlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,182
Haven't read them yet. Surprised by the minimum size drop... 9 at 24" would have been a win. I'll see if my opinion changes when we actually see what the catch size is.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck
iTrader: (0)
 
PRBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brockton
Posts: 6,392
Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Lowered to 19" to minimize return of short dead fish! Like making the limit on fluke 17-19".....neither 17-19" fluke nor 19" cod have any size fillets, they are getting returned on my boat......

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51
iTrader: (0)
 
fishsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,467
PR - cook those 19" inchers whole, no waste and a good meal.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
jasonsnova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: petersham,ma
Posts: 217
no we have to figure out whats up with the haddock regs been hereing they were going back to the old 18" no limit....but not sure its true. as far as i know new rule 19"/9 stands....??
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Banks been pounded by trawlers . No cod out there anyway.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Finlander
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Finlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 211
The haddock reg's go back to 18" and no limit starting May 1st.

Tight Lines!!!!
Finlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
JamesJet
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
JamesJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melrose MA
Posts: 587
I am fairly certainly its not 100% death rate on shorts. There was an opportunity to actually do something and this to me doesnt seem like good advice, the groundfish are in trouble, big time and aside from closing the the grounds where all the breeders hang in the winter there really hasnt been much done in a while. The haddock is another issue. Basically asking to be overfished.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"
iTrader: (1)
 
thefishingfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bahston Hahbah
Posts: 6,526
They can't drag em all up. I'm not jumping on the boo-hoo-choo train just yet.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Mr. Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,647
I am amazed NOAA went for a 20% reduction for this season...they are calling for up to a 90% reduction on 2013. Fishery management is a utter failure across the board. There should be no negotiations between groups...just DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE and let the chips fall where they will. If that means a complete shut down, then DO IT!
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Slick Moedee
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Slick Moedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 404
Let's not forget the role the council has played in this reduction. Bottom line is comm/rec support businesses etc are all screwed come 2013 unless something dramatic happens on the sci side of things.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
jasonsnova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: petersham,ma
Posts: 217
thing that bothers me is you have the average joe that goes out with a few friend on the weekend gets some fish for the freezer, but then you will have a 100' dragger that scoops thousands of fish in a single pass sometimes.......reduce the commercial take . not the rec guys. big differance. Problem is commercial guys put alot of pressure on noaa to let them take and take.... my .02
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
thing that bothers me is you have the average joe that goes out with a few friend on the weekend gets some fish for the freezer, but then you will have a 100' dragger that scoops thousands of fish in a single pass sometimes.......reduce the commercial take . not the rec guys. big differance. Problem is commercial guys put alot of pressure on noaa to let them take and take.... my .02
They are fishing for the 99.99% of the population that can't or won't fish for themselves. The fish belong to everyone!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"
iTrader: (1)
 
thefishingfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bahston Hahbah
Posts: 6,526
What's needed Is better science that everyone agrees on.
they don't even count any of the fish the draggers bring in. None of the 50,000 pounds a day the draggers catch counts. None of the cod dragged off the bank thru catch shares are counted, None of the fish that go to market count. None of the fish that end up in the supermarket are counted. They drag a net thru the water for a certain amount of time and count the fish inside. That's how they "ass-ess" the stock.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
jasonsnova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: petersham,ma
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
They are fishing for the 99.99% of the population that can't or won't fish for themselves. The fish belong to everyone!
problem is those draggers pickup EVERYTHING big fish ,little fish, rare fish....etc.
problem is worlds population is constantly growing,requiring more and more food, they should start more off shore fish farms to feed the masses in my opinion
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
They are fishing for the 99.99% of the population that can't or won't fish for themselves. The fish belong to everyone!
They are fishing for profit!
I don't have a problem with that because I do it too. Well at least that's my excuse for the expense.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They are fishing for profit!
Would you do that job for nothing?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
problem is those draggers pickup EVERYTHING big fish ,little fish, rare fish....etc.
Not true, try a google search on "rhule trawl"

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.
iTrader: (0)
 
BasicPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Posts: 2,786
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I am amazed NOAA went for a 20% reduction for this season...they are calling for up to a 90% reduction on 2013. Fishery management is a utter failure across the board. There should be no negotiations between groups...just DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE and let the chips fall where they will. If that means a complete shut down, then DO IT!
Dont blame NOAA as in cases of controversy this severe they report up and execute orders. The 20% cutback is all about next November. There is an election coming.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master
iTrader: (0)
 
numbskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: over the hill
Posts: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
They are fishing for the 99.99% of the population that can't or won't fish for themselves. The fish belong to everyone!
Bull.

Yes the fish belong to everyone.

If the 99.99% of the population was the primary concern the fishery would have been shut down totally a decade ago. No consumer wants to pay $17 a pound for food that better management (i.e., allowing a fishery to recover) would make available for $3 a pound.

The codfishery (and other commercial fisheries) are managed for the benefit of the commercial fisherman......NOT THE PUBLIC. The public pays a cost of billions of dollars in the form of higher food costs as a result of this mismanagement.

Shut the fishery, when the fish are recovered reopen it. If the public came first that is what would happen. The reason it has not happened is because the public does not come first....plain and simple.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
jasonsnova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: petersham,ma
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Not true, try a google search on "rhule trawl"
i know what you are saying but after those nets get clogged with fish they start scooping everything.....
sorry it bugs me when we are out there jiggin away they a dragger goes by and scoops up everything in its path.
maybe go to rod and reel commercial ground fishing lol.....
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
i know what you are saying but after those nets get clogged with fish they start scooping everything.....
You obviously do not know what I'm saying. Try doing the search suggested or contact the URI sea grant program.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Bull.

Yes the fish belong to everyone.

If the 99.99% of the population was the primary concern the fishery would have been shut down totally a decade ago. No consumer wants to pay $17 a pound for food that better management (i.e., allowing a fishery to recover) would make available for $3 a pound.

The codfishery (and other commercial fisheries) are managed for the benefit of the commercial fisherman......NOT THE PUBLIC. The public pays a cost of billions of dollars in the form of higher food costs as a result of this mismanagement.

Shut the fishery, when the fish are recovered reopen it. If the public came first that is what would happen. The reason it has not happened is because the public does not come first....plain and simple.
The fallacy of your statement can be demonstrated by one statistic, the U.S. IMPORTS 70% of our seafood. No matter what the NMFS did, it wouldn't lower prices to the consumer.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Would you do that job for nothing?
I pretty much do
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master
iTrader: (0)
 
numbskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: over the hill
Posts: 6,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
The fallacy of your statement can be demonstrated by one statistic, the U.S. IMPORTS 70% of our seafood. No matter what the NMFS did, it wouldn't lower prices to the consumer.
Uhhhhh, no, Mike, all that statistic shows is how closed your mind is to the reality of what is going on.

First, isn't most imported seafood is Asian farmed shrimp, Canadian lobster, and farmed salmon? Codfish may compete with the latter, but not very much the first two. Secondly, it says a lot about how bad fishery management is when imported salmon is cheaper than native codfish.

Obviously if the NMFS managed cod fish for the interest of the general public, rather than commercial fisheries and local political constituencies, there would be far less need and demand to import finfish for consumption, and those who choose to eat finfish could do so more cheaply. This would result in increased consumer surplus.......a major goal of national economic policies. The 99.99% of people commercial fishermen are "serving" would have more money left in their pocket after eating to spend on other things. You think they prefer it the way it is?

Codfish once were a hugely important national source of cheap protein. Now they are a luxury item. Fisherman can still make a living catching them since market price is high, but the consumers in this country subsidize this and get screwed doing so.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
JackK
Not Jack
iTrader: (0)
 
JackK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Other Cape
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
i know what you are saying but after those nets get clogged with fish they start scooping everything.....
sorry it bugs me when we are out there jiggin away they a dragger goes by and scoops up everything in its path.
maybe go to rod and reel commercial ground fishing lol.....
Yeah that's not really true, even on a standard trawl, and especially not a Rhule trawl. 6.5" mesh doesn't get "clogged", at least in the GoM. Common misconception. But I still believe that the minimum mesh size going to 7" would make a big difference in the health and sustainability of our fisheries.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Uhhhhh, no, Mike, all that statistic shows is how closed your mind is to the reality of what is going on.

First, isn't most imported seafood is Asian farmed shrimp, Canadian lobster, and farmed salmon? Codfish may compete with the latter, but not very much the first two. Secondly, it says a lot about how bad fishery management is when imported salmon is cheaper than native codfish.

Obviously if the NMFS managed cod fish for the interest of the general public, rather than commercial fisheries and local political constituencies, there would be far less need and demand to import finfish for consumption, and those who choose to eat finfish could do so more cheaply. This would result in increased consumer surplus.......a major goal of national economic policies. The 99.99% of people commercial fishermen are "serving" would have more money left in their pocket after eating to spend on other things. You think they prefer it the way it is?

Codfish once were a hugely important national source of cheap protein. Now they are a luxury item. Fisherman can still make a living catching them since market price is high, but the consumers in this country subsidize this and get screwed doing so.
Don't look now, but a lot of the codfish you see in the markets is coming from Norway. Same for haddock, grey and lemon sole, and on and on. If you think all of that imported seafood is farmed fish and shrimp, you need to dig a little deeper in the statistics. Its not hard, the info is out there, if you just open up your mind and go look it up.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master
iTrader: (0)
 
numbskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: over the hill
Posts: 6,554
Happy Easter. Once we had the most productive ground fish fishery in the world. And now you say we have to import it but restoring the fishery would not change that? And you honestly believe that? Sorry, but that seems a bit of a reach to me.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com