Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

world record striper

does anyone know what was in the stomach of Al McReynolds world record striped bass

54" with a 34" girth
78 1/2 lbs

the fish was landed a day after a noreaster by the way
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Edit!

Last edited by tattoobob; 10-29-2006 at 07:12 PM..

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Skitterpop

a part of a float from the commercial net that it was caught in?

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop View Post
a part of a float from the commercial net that it was caught in?
Ouch...

I hope you're more kind when I land my 80 Sunday evening. For the record...I don't even know any Comms

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ouch...

I hope you're more kind when I land my 80 Sunday evening. For the record...I don't even know any Comms

-spence
Hey Buddy,

I hope you do catch a big mutha

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
spence

Ok, just so we're clear...a BIG fish is more than 10 pounds right?

But to be serious. If I snag a mass of mussles over 8 ounces I'm waking up my wife. A really nice mass of weed? Calling ProJo...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
saajr
Sportster

web site

check out stripers247.com link world record striper

steve
saajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
DaveS
Bass Whacker

He caught it, no doubt. There is not one shred of evidence to prove otherwise, never has been.

All the naysayers are just jealous people, happens when guys land 50's let alone world records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
August 29--a date that lives in striper infamy.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
fishenough

I usually run into Al around Longport this time of year. When I see him I'll ask him about the stomach contents. It's a shame what how that fish ruined his life. He always says if he was to catch another he would cut the line.
fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
vineyardblues

Here is my question , please someone answer this question.
Did Al get tossed out of 2 other derby / contest for cheating ?
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
He caught it, no doubt. There is not one shred of evidence to prove otherwise, never has been.

All the naysayers are just jealous people, happens when guys land 50's let alone world records.

i agree...there's no PROOF otherwise.....just jealous speculations,

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
Fish_Eye

"Al McReynolds 53 inches, 34 1/2 inch girth? It just doesnt add up."

I saw the skin mount of that fish in a New Jersey tackle shop and it's a freak fish with a belly that hangs wide from just below the gills all the way to the tail. In human terms, there are men and women under six feet tall that they need to take walls down to get them out of their homes.

Did he catch it? I know that Dave DiBenedetto interviewed him at length for the book, On The Run, and despite a lot of loose ends that don't add up, he honestly believes he caught the fish.

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
DaveS
Bass Whacker

Mike I'm curious as to whats the biggest bass you have ever seen while diving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
August 29--a date that lives in striper infamy.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sylvester View Post
does anyone know what was in the stomach of Al McReynolds world record striped bass

54" with a 34" girth
78 1/2 lbs

the fish was landed a day after a noreaster by the way
Jim,
To get BACK TO YOUR QUESTION - If I remember correctly there were schools of mullet in the area the night he took the fish. I have the original article published by The Fisherman mag somewhere in my basement. That article said he was using a Rebel - probably a small windcheater.

Fishing after storms has a long history of being good... or bad.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Jim,
That article said he was using a Rebel - probably a small windcheater.
saw him speak....he said he got it on a Rebel windcheater......
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Last I knew he, Albert Mcreynolds, lived not far from the Viking Club in Braintree. We had him speak at our monthly M.S.B.A. meeting a few years back. I have to believe him after listening to him talk. Catching that fish made hislife a living hell. I heard him say quite a few times he wished he didn't. I think everyone who deosn't think he did should tell him to his face. Or otherwise kiss his .

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Last I knew he, Albert Mcreynolds, lived not far from the Viking Club in Braintree. We had him speak at our monthly M.S.B.A. meeting a few years back. I have to believe him after listening to him talk. Catching that fish made hislife a living hell. I heard him say quite a few times he wished he didn't. I think everyone who deosn't think he did should tell him to his face. Or otherwise kiss his .
I seem to recall Charlie Cintos saying he had the same regrets after catching his fish. Has anyone ever caught a world record fish that hasn't been called a liar and a cheat?
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
baldwin

Rebel Windcheater it was, not a Bomber Long A. About " A Penn 710 doesn't hold enough 20# line for a striper to fight for close to 2 hours", how much time does that spool hold? You could have a fish at 20 yards in front of you for two hours, the length of line has nothing do do with the length of a fight. You're somehow trying to equate linear distance with measurement of time, and they don't fit.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
. About " A Penn 710 doesn't hold enough 20# line for a striper to fight for close to 2 hours", how much time does that spool hold? You could have a fish at 20 yards in front of you for two hours, the length of line has nothing do do with the length of a fight. You're somehow trying to equate linear distance with measurement of time, and they don't fit.
I lost a fish last fall after fighting it for an hour. It was definately at least an hour as I walked into my spot at 10:40 pm, caught and released 2 real small fish in 3 casts, then caught the "lost fish" on the next cast. So I figure it took no longer then 20 minutes to catch 2 schoolies on 3 casts. So I hooked the fish no later than 11:00 pm and lost the fish at 12:00 AM. I had my cell in my hand when I lost it. It wasn't a case where the fish ran for 45 min... At times I sat on a rock just holding on wth neither me or the fish gaining for probably 15 min at a time. Don't know how big it was and considering the conditions it may not have been that huge. May have even been about dead, but I was never able to get the fish back against a strong current and couldn't move closer. Point is, most fights are much shorter than they feel, but after my experience I can imagine how a world record size fish could take a real long time to land.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

he wrote an article a year or two ago on this in OTW. It was a rebel.
I beleive he caught it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #21
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Having also met the man I took him to be a hustler type which is not unusual for a fisherman. I took him to be not that bright but did not get the feeling he was dishonest. Of course there is a bunch of exaggeration as the years go by but it is my experience that ALL fishermen exaggerate so that is not enough reason for me to doubt his catch.

Another thing I keep in mind on this subject is that all humans and fishers in general do not relay or re tell info accurately. Those that know me know this is a pet peave of my own and I can usually disqualify a great deal of any repor given to me after a few simole questions. My point is that a lot of the discrepencies in his story have come from inaccurate re telling by other fishers. This added to normal eaggeration and this is not enough for me to think him a cheat.

Finally, I have direct experience that when anyone gains a good catch there will always be many to go negative in one way or another.

Bottom line is we all will beleive what we beleive and in the end...those that care enough to go negative about the man need to go fishing and shut up.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
LINESIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Having also met the man I took him to be a hustler type which is not unusual for a fisherman. I took him to be not that bright but did not get the feeling he was dishonest. Of course there is a bunch of exaggeration as the years go by but it is my experience that ALL fishermen exaggerate so that is not enough reason for me to doubt his catch.

Another thing I keep in mind on this subject is that all humans and fishers in general do not relay or re tell info accurately. Those that know me know this is a pet peave of my own and I can usually disqualify a great deal of any repor given to me after a few simole questions. My point is that a lot of the discrepencies in his story have come from inaccurate re telling by other fishers. This added to normal eaggeration and this is not enough for me to think him a cheat.

Finally, I have direct experience that when anyone gains a good catch there will always be many to go negative in one way or another.

Bottom line is we all will beleive what we beleive and in the end...those that care enough to go negative about the man need to go fishing and shut up.
Nicely put Basic!
Its sad how “Sportsmen” always get around to bashing the leader, the winner, etc. A simple congratulation is just not in the cards. I do believe what was said earlier in this thread, it was more than likely the single most fish scrutinized fish in history! I was on another site, where they were talking about Bill Major and his situation earlier this year... Their were a couple of folks implying, that all winners of tournaments cheat to win!
My comment was what a sad statement!
I don’t know what drives this thinking other than what some one mentioned earlier in this thread, its jealousy! I have made my statements regarding Bill in other post. If he is not knocked off with a larger fish by November 30, he will win the Governors cup for 2006. By looking at the picture of Al’s fish, and the way the belly droops on the fish, If Al wanted to cheat he could have stuffed ten, may be even fifteen pounds of dead fish into it, and made it an 88 pounder. In the picture I would say the fish was eating, and still hungry. He does consider it a curse. If you read what he has written, he clams’ he and his family have received death threats over this catch. May be the threats are also coming from the jealous ones!
Here is another link that may answer some other question. http://www.stripers247.com/NewJerseyworldrecord.htm
Basic, I like the flag you fly under!
Later, L

You are only as good as the person who’s driving the boat! By the way, the Devil drives my boat!
LINESIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

The fish hung in Campbell's Marine on Ventnor Ave for years. The things head and belly are huge. At that time of year and that year in South Jersey at night, the spot and mullet are everywhere. I used to travel up and down Stone Harbor looking for schools of bait to liveline to weakfish.
I never caught a striper in the 70's in South Jersey., it was primarily a weakfish and bluefish scene night and day.
However if there were stripers to be had inshore I would say that it was feasting on spot, mullet or sand eels.

Bill
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I agree also,
give the juy a break !
Not only did he catch the record fish,
He, his son, and daughter have all caught bigger fish than most anyone here!.
I'm pretty sure they're all members of the 60lb club, how many here can say that!!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:58 PM   #25
jkswimmer

Someone said the measurements do not make sense. Do the math the(girth squared) x (length) divided by (800) = 78.8 ?????
jkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 AM   #26
ChiefLinesider
Been many moons

Length/weight charts are what dont add up. The fish exceeds what a typical 53 inch fish should weigh by a significant amount. Noone argues that it doesnt weigh 78 1/2. Its got a big ol' belly on it. Guess hes lucky that he caught an anomaly, or unlucky according to him.

Standing on the water, casting your bread
While the eyes of the idol with the iron head are glowing
Distant ships sailing into the mist
You were born with a snake in both of your fists while a hurricane was blowing
ChiefLinesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #27
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkswimmer View Post
Someone said the measurements do not make sense. Do the math the(girth squared) x (length) divided by (800) = 78.8 ?????
I have. It works out to almost 82 pounds--which is what the fish probably weighed when Al caught it, seeing as how it wasn't weighed in until hours later

BTW, you use fork length, not overall length, for this formula. And fork length was the universal way to measure bass in 1982.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #28
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
I dont care what the naysayers say.
when they bring in a 70 off their favorite jetty,
they can say what it was like.
I know that over the last two years I have told a varying recounts of catching my TWO keepers.
And, at each telling I was not lying. I was remembering it and reliving it as close as I could recall.

-m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02768_crop_m.JPG (54.4 KB, 54 views)

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
LINESIDES

I believe you did it!!!!!!! Later, L
Later, L

You are only as good as the person who’s driving the boat! By the way, the Devil drives my boat!
LINESIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
zimmy

I was going to ask if that length was fork length. I know in my grandfathers eyes and a lot of guys who fished back then that fork length was the only legitimate measurement. I went to the fish calculator and put in 54 length 34 girth and it came out to 78lbs. Seems pretty reasonable to me. If 54 is fork length, it could easily be 57 or 58" measured total length.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote