Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #61
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
???????????????????
I know right?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #62
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I know right?
"Know" ????????????????
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #63
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
"Know" ????????????????
he's clearly lost his mind
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #64
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
he's clearly lost his mind
Seems like senior Republicans, senior Democrats, the FBI and most of the Media agree with what I'm saying.

Who's lost their mind?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #65
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Seems like senior Republicans, senior Democrats, the FBI and most of the Media agree with what I'm saying.

Who's lost their mind?
Seems like they all have.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #66
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Seems like they all have.
Maybe that should tell you something.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #67
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Maybe that should tell you something.
The herd instinct.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #68
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

"Seems"
spence talk
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #69
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think the fact that they've stated it, documented it and asked the Republicans to make it public says quite a lot.

You have this squishy writing quality of "seeming" or appearing to be saying something, but is infused with a peculiar verbal fog that obscures what, if anything, you are actually saying.


Reasonable here is in context of the FBI's process...which doesn't require information to be proven. The standard is very high which is why to your point above FISA requests are rarely denied.

More of the high quality squish. The "context of the FBI's process"! Yes... the context of process! "Reasonable" somehow is a chameleon word that changes meaning in different contexts. A less sophisticated writer might just avoid using words which are too complex contextually, and rather would just go straight to the actual FBI standard (which requires verification and substantiation of evidence). On the other hand, I suppose, if submitting unverified evidence for a FISA warrant can be done through some context of process, which is not specified or listed in the manual, rather than the actual process, then a warrant can theoretically, in a Machiavellian agreement, be issued on squishier grounds, such as evidence only need be "reasonable."

BTW, Comey had directly told Trump that the dossier was "salacious and unverified." But, of course, in your "context of the FBI's process," it would be unreasonable to require the dossier to be verified in order to use it as evidence for a FISA warrant.


It's a collection of items some verified and some not. That doesn't invalidate the entire collection.

More indefinite squish. "Some verified"--what was verified? There were various media articles used as corroboration which reported similar things as were in the dossier, but the problem is that those articles were based on information from Steele or from his dossier--a form of circular journalism which merely repeats itself rather than corroborating anything. Steele was removed as an FBI informant because of his contact with media outlets which would obviously taint any so-called corroboration.

And yes, submitting the unverified portions of the "dossier" would be a corruption of the process even if there was something in it that was verified. It would make the whole "evidence" suspect, especially if it was known, as it was, that the "dossier" was discredited.


I think some of the Dossier was included in the last extension which was signed off on by Trump appointees.

The "dossier" was the key factor in all the extensions. And if these extensions are what you referred to as warrants on Page during the three years before the "dossier" inspired FISA warrant, that would obviously be impossible since the "dossier" didn't exist then. As I've said, if such warrants had existed and they produced useful data, then they could have been continuously reinstated. There would not have been a need for an entirely new warrant. If those warrants existed, they obviously didn't reap any useful information.

I have no idea how much Steele was paid. His employer was paid a decent amount although I'd assume if you want good quality research it doesn't come cheap.
The adage says "you get what you pay for." If you ask for high quality dirt, you should be prepared to pay high quality fees. Steele was paid by Fusion, by Clinton campaign, and by the FBI. I think one of those sources, maybe the Clinton campaign, paid him $160,000.

None of the points made in the memo have been claimed to be false. The spin is that without other information, what's in the memo, truthful as it is, can be "misleading." What is stated in the memo is pretty straightforward. It would take a lot of information to make the FBI's actions listed in the memo lawful. We await the further information which will make the memo a "nothingburger."

A lot has been said in this thread and in the spinning media and political pundits about the supposed damage the release of the memo was supposed to inflict on national security and on the integrity of our institutions. I haven't seen anything in the memo as released that endangers national security. And the integrity of the FBI, if it can be damaged by some rogues, was already severely damaged by Comey when he presented a solid case for prosecution of HRC but didn't recommend prosecution to the Attorney General, who had broadcasted ahead of his decision that she would abide by his recommendation. And the abuse the Dems heaped on Comey before and after the election surely would cause no less damage to the integrity of the FBI than would this memo. And, it is not the integrity of the FBI that is in question. It is the integrity of those who manipulated the "process" in an attempt to achieve their ends.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #70
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It is the integrity of those who manipulated the "process" in an attempt to achieve their ends.
You talking about the election right?


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #71
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You talking about the election right?


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I like it when you're happy. So interpret it in anyway that makes you feel good.

BTW, I was sorry to hear what happened to the space your business occupied so many years. I hope you find something as nice or better. I wish you the best.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #72
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I like it when you're happy. So interpret it in anyway that makes you feel good.

BTW, I was sorry to hear what happened to the space your business occupied so many years. I hope you find something as nice or better. I wish you the best.
Thanks. Ill find something.. Im actually happy I have to move. My current studio is way too small
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #73
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Thanks. Ill find something.. Im actually happy I have to move. My current studio is way too small
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I like that.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #74
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,279
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-spy-c...ampaign=buffer


not suggesting what it means but very interesting
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #75
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
In testimony before Congress, fbi director Comey called the dossier salacious and unverified. Those are his words. Yet he signed off using it to help obtain FISA warrants against a presidential campaign. The salacious and unverified dossier was prepared by a company that employed the wife of the deputy attorney general.

Nothing concerning there? Nothing at all?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #76
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In testimony before Congress, fbi director Comey called the dossier salacious and unverified. Those are his words. Yet he signed off using it to help obtain FISA warrants against a presidential campaign. The salacious and unverified dossier was prepared by a company that employed the wife of the deputy attorney general.

Nothing concerning there? Nothing at all?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
and the FISA warrant that was applied for required evidence of some pretty serious wrong doing.....what exactly has Carter Page been charged with or arrested for to date?
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #77
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In testimony before Congress, fbi director Comey called the dossier salacious and unverified. Those are his words.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
He said it contained items that were...not the entire thing Jim.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #78
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
and the FISA warrant that was applied for required evidence of some pretty serious wrong doing.....what exactly has Carter Page been charged with or arrested for to date?
Ummm he was being recruited as a Russian spy...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #79
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ummm he was being recruited as a Russian spy...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ummmm...."salacious and unverified"


http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/...ods-procedures

Last edited by scottw; 02-05-2018 at 09:18 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #80
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He said it contained items that were...not the entire thing Jim.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
not even Sean Hannity suggests that every word of the dossier is incorrect. So not sure what your point is.

You spin with the best of them.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #81
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ummmm...."salacious and unverified"


http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/...ods-procedures
I think you're forgetting he was under surveillance before the Dossier.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #82
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ummmm...."salacious and unverified"


http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/...ods-procedures
Comey will go down as one of the biggest weasels of all time.

You have the deputy AG whose wife worked at Fusion GPS. You have the deputy head of the FBI whose wife took a jillion dollars in campaign contributions from the democrats. You have Loretta Lynch meting with Bill Clinton alone on a jet while his wife was supposedly being investigated. You have texts between two liberal FBI agents sleeping with each other, determined to everything they can to ensure a Hilary victory.

All of these political appointees assumed (like I did) that Hilary was going to win, and they likely all wanted to get on her good side by helping her out. They went all-in on a Hilary victory, and figured they had nothing to lose. Well she lost. And she didn't lose to a gracious person like Bush or Romney, she lost to a guy who is about as vindictive as they come.

These liberals who stuck their necks out for Hilary, must be sh*tting their pants worried about what the hell Trump is going to do. And they would be right to be sh*tting their pants. It's sounds very clich, but they messed with the wrong guy, man did they mess with the wrong guy.

His strategists must be salivating at putting together the schedule of public floggings, all leading up to the fall midterms. If he plays his cards right, he can really help the GOIP with this in swing states.

This is a guy who truly gets his rocks off by sticking it to his adversaries. I cannot imagine the reckoning that awaits some of these people. They bet big. They lost big.

There's an old military expression, "when you kick a tiger in the azz, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth". Here come the fangs.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #83
Pete F.
Master trd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In testimony before Congress, fbi director Comey called the dossier salacious and unverified. Those are his words. Yet he signed off using it to help obtain FISA warrants against a presidential campaign. The salacious and unverified dossier was prepared by a company that employed the wife of the deputy attorney general.

Nothing concerning there? Nothing at all?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
And how would you verify it?
Nothing to see here, move along folks.............

Pete

"No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark"
Warsan Shire

Time will tell
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #84
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think you're forgetting he was under surveillance before the Dossier.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
there was no FISA warrant before and without the dossier...that is the issue
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #85
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And how would you verify it?
Nothing to see here, move along folks.............
How would I verify what? What Comey said? He testified to it.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #86
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
there was no FISA warrant before and without the dossier...that is the issue
In the end, they gave Trump a huge gift by doing this. They're probably all racing each other to get into the witness protection program to hide from Trump.

I can just see these reptiles making the political calculation, that she was going to win, and if they helped kick her ball onto the fairway during the campaign, surely she would re-pay them for that once she was in power.

Boy did they bet on the wrong horse. I almost can't think of a scenario where you could screw yourself more royally. I would love to see the expressions on these people's faces from election night as the results came in, I'm surprised they didn't all drink the Jonestown Kool Aid.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #87
Pete F.
Master trd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,171
They are investigating rumours (the dossier) to see if the facts support them, what is so hard to understand about that.
There is a reason that people look for fire if they see smoke.
Trump has lied and cheated to get where he is, he would do anything to win

Pete

"No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark"
Warsan Shire

Time will tell
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #88
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
They are investigating rumours (the dossier) to see if the facts support them, what is so hard to understand about that.
There is a reason that people look for fire if they see smoke.
Trump has lied and cheated to get where he is, he would do anything to win
You are moving the goalposts significantly.

The FBI relied on evidence they knew to be unreliable, to get a judge to sign off on letting the FBI wiretap somebody. It's not supposed to work that way.

Trump is a morally bankrupt reptile, and if he has committed crimes let's find out and get him the hell out of there. But even Trump is entitled to the system playing out fairly.

"There is a reason that people look for fire if they see smoke"

Yes there is. But (1) there are rules to follow when you are looking for fire, and (2) the Clintons have put up more than their fair share of smoke signals, and the left, and their minions in the media, could not care less.

I'm no Trump apologist. But man does it look like there was widespread collusion between the Justice Department and Hilary.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #89
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You are moving the goalposts significantly.

The FBI relied on evidence they knew to be unreliable, to get a judge to sign off on letting the FBI wiretap somebody. It's not supposed to work that way.

Trump is a morally bankrupt reptile, and if he has committed crimes let's find out and get him the hell out of there. But even Trump is entitled to the system playing out fairly.

"There is a reason that people look for fire if they see smoke"

Yes there is. But (1) there are rules to follow when you are looking for fire, and (2) the Clintons have put up more than their fair share of smoke signals, and the left, and their minions in the media, could not care less.

I'm no Trump apologist. But man does it look like there was widespread collusion between the Justice Department and Hilary.

Gowdy, a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, was speaking on CBS's Face the Nation on Sunday. He also said that even if the controversial Steele dossier didn't exist, there would still be a Russia investigation.

That speaks volumes coming from Him
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #90
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,279
Probable cause is a requirement found in the Fourth Amendment that must usually be met before police make an arrest, conduct a search, or receive a warrant. Courts usually find probable cause when there is a reasonable basis for believing that a crime may have been committed (for an arrest) or when evidence of the crime is present in the place to be searched (for a search). Under exigent circumstances, probable cause can also justify a warrantless search or seizure. Persons arrested without a warrant are required to be brought before a competent authority shortly after the arrest for a prompt judicial determination of probable cause.


So Jim your suggesting the steel document was the only source used to establish Probable cause?

They pulled Trump over for a broken Tail light (possible collusion) but the found a whole bag of something else and Trumps saying thats my Friends stuff not mine.. and the Cops set me up!!! I am the victim of the deep state
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com