Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #121
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It eviscerates the Democrat's memo.
It really doesn't. What it does so is set up all manners of speculative assertions to be ripped apart. This is classic McCarthy.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #122
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It really doesn't . . . This is classic McCarthy.
Yes it does . . . this is classic McCarthy
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #123
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, and four federal republican appointed judges and the FBI had no problem with that.

Any other questions?
Sure, how's this for starters If 'the FBI' that had no problem with it is riddled with leaders who wanted Hilary to win, who cares that they are OK with it? That they are OK with it, could be more evidence of wrongdoing, not less.

Here's another...how do you know the judges would have been OK with it, if they knew that the Steele dossier was provided by an adversarial political campaign?

Any other pathetic excuses that a 10 year-old can tear to shreds?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #124
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Yes it does . . . this is classic McCarthy
he was pretty thorough...I doubt Spence could grasp much through that veil of partisanship and the grief he must be enduring after his Country's loss to the American girls in ice hockey...those Canadian girls felt as entitled to a gold medal as Hillary felt entitled to the Presidency....I'm surprised he can type at this point
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #125
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Sure, how's this for starters If 'the FBI' that had no problem with it is riddled with leaders who wanted Hilary to win, who cares that they are OK with it? That they are OK with it, could be more evidence of wrongdoing, not less.
Jim, the request has to be approved by Federal Judges before the FBI can sign off on it.

Quote:
Here's another...how do you know the judges would have been OK with it, if they knew that the Steele dossier was provided by an adversarial political campaign?
The Dossier wasn't provided by an adversarial campaign, it was by a law firm and the FISA request clearly stated it was political opposition research.

Quote:
Any other pathetic excuses that a 10 year-old can tear to shreds?
Mind bending.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #126
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Sure,

Any other pathetic excuses that a 10 year-old can tear to shreds?
Yet you couldn't? SAD!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #127
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim, the request has to be approved by Federal Judges before the FBI can sign off on it.

McCarthy: Schiff makes much of the fact that the four FISA warrants (the original authorization and three renewals, at 90-day intervals) were signed by four different FISA-court judges — all apparently appointed to the federal district courts by Republican presidents. This hardly commends the validity of the warrants . . . the issue here is failure to disclose information to the court. If a judge was not made aware of material facts, the judge’s authorization of a warrant does not validate the derelict application.


The Dossier wasn't provided by an adversarial campaign, it was by a law firm

McCarthy: "If you know it’s necessary to disclose that “identified U.S. person” Simpson was being paid by “a U.S.-based law firm” (Perkins-Coie), then it is at least equally necessary to disclose that, in turn, the law firm was being paid by its clients: the Clinton campaign and the DNC. To tell half the story is patently misleading."


and the FISA request clearly stated it was political opposition research.

McCarthy: Schiff comically highlights this DOJ assertion as if it were his home run, when it is in fact damning: “The FBI speculates that the identified U.S. Person was likely looking for information that could be used to discredit Candidate #1’s campaign.” This is the vague reference that Democrats and Trump critics laughably say was adequate disclosure of the dossier’s political motivation. But why would the FBI “speculate” that a political motive was “likely” involved when, in reality, the FBI well knew that a very specific political motive was precisely involved?

There was no reason for supposition here. If the FBI had transparently disclosed that the dossier was a product of the Clinton campaign — oh, sorry, didn’t mean to unmask; if the FBI had transparently disclosed that the dossier was a product of “Candidate #2’s” campaign — then the court would have been informed about the apodictic certainty that the people behind the dossier were trying to discredit the campaign of Candidate #2’s opponent. It is disingenuous to tell a judge that something is “likely” when, in fact, it is beyond any doubt.



Mind bending.
Your posts often are.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #128
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
remember when Trump was mocked and ridiculed for his wire tapping claims....
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #129
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
remember when Trump was mocked and ridiculed for his wire tapping claims....
Yes, and he still is and should be.

"Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!"

"I'd bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election!"

"How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!"

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #130
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
McCarthy: Schiff makes much of the fact that the four FISA warrants (the original authorization and three renewals, at 90-day intervals) were signed by four different FISA-court judges — all apparently appointed to the federal district courts by Republican presidents. This hardly commends the validity of the warrants . . . the issue here is failure to disclose information to the court. If a judge was not made aware of material facts, the judge’s authorization of a warrant does not validate the derelict application.
It's clear now that SOME of the information used in the FISA application was from Steele which was made clear to the Federal judge. If the judge isn't satisfied with the justification for the warrant they don't have to approve it. McCarthy is en effect calling these Federal judges incompetent. Considering he's only seen what's been declassified that's laughable.

Quote:
McCarthy: "If you know it’s necessary to disclose that “identified U.S. person” Simpson was being paid by “a U.S.-based law firm” (Perkins-Coie), then it is at least equally necessary to disclose that, in turn, the law firm was being paid by its clients: the Clinton campaign and the DNC. To tell half the story is patently misleading."
McCarthy has a clever use of quotes here to mislead his reader, yourself. The FISA requests don't name Simpson or Perkins-Coie because that is the protocol to not name US persons or entities unless they are the subject of the surveillance. By co-mingling the quotes from the warrant with what we know today McCarthy is trying to establish a quid pro quo that would be improper.

Quote:
McCarthy: Schiff comically highlights this DOJ assertion as if it were his home run, when it is in fact damning: “The FBI speculates that the identified U.S. Person was likely looking for information that could be used to discredit Candidate #1’s campaign.” This is the vague reference that Democrats and Trump critics laughably say was adequate disclosure of the dossier’s political motivation. But why would the FBI “speculate” that a political motive was “likely” involved when, in reality, the FBI well knew that a very specific political motive was precisely involved?
At the time of the FISA request Simpson had not testified about the full nature of their research nor had the FBI led any formal investigation into Steele's potential bias. To hang all this on the word "likely" is comical.

Quote:
There was no reason for supposition here. If the FBI had transparently disclosed that the dossier was a product of the Clinton campaign — oh, sorry, didn’t mean to unmask; if the FBI had transparently disclosed that the dossier was a product of “Candidate #2’s” campaign — then the court would have been informed about the apodictic certainty that the people behind the dossier were trying to discredit the campaign of Candidate #2’s opponent. It is disingenuous to tell a judge that something is “likely” when, in fact, it is beyond any doubt.
How far did that Nunes "unmasking" stunt go before it was discredited as well?

McCarthy is just presenting one straw man after another. The FBI, the Federal Judiciary, the Clinton campaign...they're all in it together!
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #131
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,516
People pleading guilty left and right and some how it's still a witch hunt . They only seem to care they can't touch Trump with the collusion lable.. they could careless if those who worked for appointed by Trump are pleading guilty to crimes involving Russians..

SENIOR Adviser on President Donald Trump’s election campaign plead guilty... and you guys are still blaming the steel dossier to funny
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #132
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
People pleading guilty left and right and some how it's still a witch hunt . They only seem to care they can't touch Trump with the collusion lable..
Interesting read of a pretty credible guy. Collusion or not the damage is being done regardless...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-hayden-217091
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #133
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Interesting read of a pretty credible guy. Collusion or not the damage is being done regardless...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-hayden-217091
I can hear it now
He is an Independent......
Clearly a deep state operative..........

I think the article puts a different perspective on the situation. He is a critical thinker and shows that this issue is more interesting and convoluted than the politicians or media would have us believe.

Pete
In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #134
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
some interesting thoughts on Hayden...sorry to interrupt the tongue bath


https://www.cjr.org/first_person/cia...den_expert.php
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #135
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
some interesting thoughts on Hayden...sorry to interrupt the tongue bath


https://www.cjr.org/first_person/cia...den_expert.php
A little quote from the article, since selecting portions that are in our favor are en vogue.
"That’s not to say everything Michael Hayden says is inherently wrong. Again, he’s right that President Obama almost certainly did not directly order a “wiretap” of Donald Trump, and he generally has a reasonable positions on Trump’s dangerous Muslim Ban and even encryption."

Pete
In life, it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #136
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A little quote from the article, since selecting portions that are in our favor are en vogue.
"That’s not to say everything Michael Hayden says is inherently wrong. Again, he’s right that President Obama almost certainly did not directly order a “wiretap” of Donald Trump, and he generally has a reasonable positions on Trump’s dangerous Muslim Ban and even encryption."
I read that....I didn't select portions...I linked the entire article


it's really funny...during the Bush years...regarding wiretapping...it was portrayed by the left as Bush and Cheney sitting around a monitor all day listening to the phone conversations of average Americans...Google..."Bush Wiretapping"....Trump does essentially the same thing and he's crazy...so I'll admit both Trump and the left are crazy
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #137
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I read that....I didn't select portions...I linked the entire article


it's really funny...during the Bush years...regarding wiretapping...it was portrayed by the left as Bush and Cheney sitting around a monitor all day listening to the phone conversations of average Americans...Google..."Bush Wiretapping"....Trump does essentially the same thing and he's crazy...so I'll admit both Trump and the left are crazy
Speaking of crazy... the complaint with the Bush era wiretapping was that it was warrantless. Trump is making up something about Obama that never happened. The faulty analogies in this forum? Crazy.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #138
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's clear now that SOME of the information used in the FISA application was from Steele which was made clear to the Federal judge. If the judge isn't satisfied with the justification for the warrant they don't have to approve it. McCarthy is en effect calling these Federal judges incompetent. Considering he's only seen what's been declassified that's laughable.

Pertinent information was withheld from the FISA Court.

McCarthy has a clever use of quotes here to mislead his reader, yourself. The FISA requests don't name Simpson or Perkins-Coie because that is the protocol to not name US persons or entities unless they are the subject of the surveillance. By co-mingling the quotes from the warrant with what we know today McCarthy is trying to establish a quid pro quo that would be improper.

Informing the Court about who paid Perkins-Cole was not withheld because of the protocol. HRC could have been referred to as Candidate #2 just as Trump was referred to as Candidate #1. And the DNC could have been named without breaking protocol.

At the time of the FISA request Simpson had not testified about the full nature of their research nor had the FBI led any formal investigation into Steele's potential bias. To hang all this on the word "likely" is comical.

Did the FBI not know at the time they applied for the FISA warrants that Hillary and the DNC paid the law firm? I don't know. It is implied or alleged that they did. Perhaps that is not true.

How far did that Nunes "unmasking" stunt go before it was discredited as well?

McCarthy is just presenting one straw man after another. The FBI, the Federal Judiciary, the Clinton campaign...they're all in it together!
https://intelligence.house.gov/uploa...key_points.pdf
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #139
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
isn't Spence accusing McCarthy of doing exactly what Spence does on a regular basis?...I see what he's doing here
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #140
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Speaking of crazy... the complaint with the Bush era wiretapping was that it was warrantless. Trump is making up something about Obama that never happened. The faulty analogies in this forum? Crazy.
there was apparently a lot of wiretapping going on...Trump was just being Trump....you know...like "Biden being Biden"
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #141
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's really funny...during the Bush years...regarding wiretapping...it was portrayed by the left as Bush and Cheney sitting around a monitor all day listening to the phone conversations of average Americans...Google..."Bush Wiretapping"....Trump does essentially the same thing and he's crazy...so I'll admit both Trump and the left are crazy
You must have a short memory, Bush authorized warrantless wiretapping after 911.

Big, huge, monstrous difference.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #142
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
yes...very big difference...

the Bush folks were trying to prevent terrorism after 911

members of the Obama admin in collusion with the Hillary campaign were trying to ensure Trump was never elected and.... how was is put?...."have an insurance policy if somehow he was?".....

very troubling...


if Hillary had just gotten elected none of this would be a problem..plan B is a lot of work.......damn Russians
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #143
zimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethany CT
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Trump was just being Trump...."
Crazy? Delusional? Paranoid? Factually incorrect? Ok, touche.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #144
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,516
Kushner's security clearance downgraded
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #145
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Crazy? Delusional? Paranoid? Factually incorrect? Ok, touche.
try to understand this....through 8 years of Clinton the media and left told and often scolded the country explaining that lying was perfectly normal, part of the human condition, psychologists and sociologists told us that Clinton made us feel better about our own shortcomings...and that men in power, of course, had sex with their underlings...they needed a stress reliever...and have big egos and even bigger libidos so badda-bing-badda-boom ...and as long as his wife doesn't mind.....Oh...and I was reading back over the Clinton/Communist Chinese money scandal recently...good grief

then...for 8 years we heard Bush=Hitler...Bush=Idiot....

the left and media embraced and promoted the foul mouth comics and the nuts sleeping in the ditch outside his Texas ranch....it was relentless

then... for the next 8 years, if you did not celebrate the new president like it was the second coming of Christ...you were a racist...the media and left bristled and attacked every critique...some fair and some unfair but it was basically a protection racket and Obama leveraged that on a daily basis

Trump...is a big middle finger to those 8+8+8...basically 24 years of the left and media having their way...setting the tone of the political debate in this country....however disheveled Trump may be opposite the lefts ideal preened pseudo-intellectual type.... he's the only figure on the right that's really had the stones to not back down to the thugs on the left...and they ARE thugs...

doesn't make him a good guy....doesn't make him someone to emulate...but at this time he's the new kid that punched the bully in the face...politics is ugly...always has been

that's why he's liked or supported...I don't know if that's good or bad in the long run.... and so far....regarding the economy likes him which means people with jobs and families who don't want to be dependent on government like him because ultimately they care more about what they can provide their families that what a president says or does.....

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-eight percent (48%) disapprove.

By comparison, President Obama earned 43% approval on this date in the second year of his presidency.



the bonus is that he's got the media and left in full cackle on a daily basis....which, though probably wrong...feels really good...which means the more cackling...the better it feels

so yes..."Trump Being Trump"

great VDH article this morning chronicling the disastrous Obama Russia policies

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...-exposing-fbi/

Last edited by scottw; 02-28-2018 at 07:40 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #146
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Kushner's security clearance downgraded
you should read the whole article...not just the headline
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #147
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Kushner's security clearance downgraded
Kushner is going to get crushed for using his Govt position to sell property.

The story running now that other government were trying to manipulate him when he improperly had top secret clearance is pretty frightening.

Last edited by spence; 02-28-2018 at 08:06 AM..
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #148
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you should read the whole article...not just the headline
I’ve had security clearance and I know how it works.. security clearance or lack of them are just another log on a fire they are unable to extinguish
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #149
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,516
Hope Hicks: Close Trump aide and White House communications chief resigns

another one bites the dust
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #150
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,351
She was a total smoke show
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com