View Full Version : wondering on primer

bassmaster
10-22-2004, 12:48 PM
what do You use for oil based primer?

capesams
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
I'd like to find that perfict white gold myself,,,but as I understand it..primer is just oil[sealer] with white pigment..so my ? is if you seal your plug with some form of oil sealer that is basicly your primer..then spray on a coat or 2 of flat/semi white/grey and your off an running.

am I way off base here??..

Karl F
10-22-2004, 05:36 PM
using either rustoleum flat white, or krylon flat white latley.
long as its oil base, why not?

crashfromamesbury
10-22-2004, 07:41 PM
i got my note book out.. tell me what you like..

and why it works for you..

capesams
10-22-2004, 09:15 PM
hot fudge sunday with pineapple on top:D

cause it taste's good:p

ThrowingTimber
10-22-2004, 10:11 PM
brownies with a peanut butter center.

capesams
10-22-2004, 10:59 PM
:drool: :hee:

Jigman
10-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ThrowingTimber
brownies with a peanut butter center.

Don't forget the chocolate icing too :beat: :jump1: :drool: :happy:

Jigman

NIB
10-26-2004, 07:28 AM
primers are easier to sand then paints.I use the rustoleum.I use to use several coats but I'm cutting back as I think the primer an the paint is now the soft prt of the plug.I seal with sys 3.but its alot of work.my own stuff i just primer an paint an dip in urethane an go fishin.

JHABS
10-26-2004, 08:22 AM
DAVE , You can use white or grey primer :bshake: Just busting your STONES , Call me...................

woodbutcher
10-26-2004, 11:22 PM
1st: seal entire plug with low viscosity epoxy, sometimes I reduce with acetone to help saturate. Entire plug= end grain & tapered portions esp., thru-wire hole, grommet holes, eye insets, etc. Leave slight excess on surface and let cure. (Tip: small, round, bottle-type brush good for thru-wire holes. Wife's old mascara,old wife's mascara, or in between teeth kind. Need to attach this brush to about a foot of wire. Crimp sleeves work.)
2nd: Sand thoroughly,120 to 180 grit, avoid exposing any raw wood. Dust and inspect for any remaining glossy spots. Scuff these with scotch pad. Spray don't brush 2 coats Interlux 404/414 two part epoxy primer reduced as needed with 2316 spray thinner.(available at marine supplies). Sand lightly 180 or so grit. Dust and proceed with subsequent color and clear coats. Observe good painting proceedures throughout; gloves, surface contamination etc.
The epoxy sealer virtually waterproofs the wood. I've never noticed any waterlogging even after prolonged immersion. It also hardens the surface considerably , increasing durability and extending refinish intervals.
The epoxy primer is extremely tough and 100% compatible with virtually everything out there. Oil base, water base, epoxy, urethane, 2part linear polyurethane, alkyd enamel, etc.,etc.
Obvious downside: increase expense, considerably increased time and effort. Probably impractical for large scale and/or commercial applications.

bassmaster
10-27-2004, 07:30 AM
I have a special plug that I epoxy the bare wood but that wood does not bleed.

woodbutcher
10-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh Boy! I just re-read my post and realized that someone might get the wrong idea when I stated that Interlux 404/414 primer is compatible with everything out there. Actually it is, but only when used as a Primer i.e. 1st coat over bare wood or bare wood sealed only with epoxy. Wood sealed with oil would cause big adhesion problems. Put anything you want on top of it, but under it, bare wood or epoxy only sealed wood. (God! I hope that did'nt cause anyone grief.)
Also, the stuff has real good sealant qualities probably a good stain barrier too. If ever I decide to skip the sealant step and prime straight over bare wood this is definitely my 1st choice.(white gold?...maybe)