View Full Version : Bald Eagle

ProfessorM
03-21-2005, 01:35 PM
I was driving past Lake Assawompset in Lakeville today and finally saw my first Bald Eagle up close. It was in a tree beside the Lake so I pulled over and my old black lab Oprah and I sat in the truck and watched it take off and fly around Long Pond and Assawompset for 20 minutes or so. What an impressive sight. They are always around the lake's area but I have never got an up close look at them. What a treat. Paul

Katie
03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
thats cool.. i never thought that they flew in this area.. always thought like california or something over that way.. thats really cool dude.

ProfessorM
03-21-2005, 02:28 PM
My buddy has seen them at Long Pond in Plymouth this year while ice fishing. Any large body of h2o will attract them. P.

tynan19
03-21-2005, 03:02 PM
We have many nesting pairs around the Quabbin and my area. They are absolutely beautiful in flight. Sometimes park rangers will place deer carcassas on the ice and you can see them picking at it.

Aqua-man
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
I used to do alot of work on the cranberry bogs on Assawompset. Every day at lunch time i'd watch them. I miss that!

Raven
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
in NOVA SCOTIA....they are as common as sea gulls and they are starting to expand their range southward... thats a good sign... the insecticide DDT
"used to" make all the predator birds egg shells super thin and they'd crush under the weight of the parents trying to hatch them out...

nice to know they're making a comeback...

rivsie11
03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Shortly after I moved to northern Wisconsin I hit and killed a deer with my Chevy Blazer. Two days later when I drove by the carcass, a medium-sized baldy was munching away. I understood then why Ben Franklin wanted the turkey instead of the eagle...

justplugit
03-21-2005, 09:21 PM
We had a pair overwinter on our resivoir 5 years ago.One evening around dusk i saw their two fledgelings leave the nest and land on the railroad station roof. What a sight. Will never forget it:)