Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Bald Eagle

I was driving past Lake Assawompset in Lakeville today and finally saw my first Bald Eagle up close. It was in a tree beside the Lake so I pulled over and my old black lab Oprah and I sat in the truck and watched it take off and fly around Long Pond and Assawompset for 20 minutes or so. What an impressive sight. They are always around the lake's area but I have never got an up close look at them. What a treat. Paul
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
thats cool.. i never thought that they flew in this area.. always thought like california or something over that way.. thats really cool dude.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

My buddy has seen them at Long Pond in Plymouth this year while ice fishing. Any large body of h2o will attract them. P.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

We have many nesting pairs around the Quabbin and my area. They are absolutely beautiful in flight. Sometimes park rangers will place deer carcassas on the ice and you can see them picking at it.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Aqua-man

I used to do alot of work on the cranberry bogs on Assawompset. Every day at lunch time i'd watch them. I miss that!
Aqua-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow up north

in NOVA SCOTIA....they are as common as sea gulls and they are starting to expand their range southward... thats a good sign... the insecticide DDT
"used to" make all the predator birds egg shells super thin and they'd crush under the weight of the parents trying to hatch them out...

nice to know they're making a comeback...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
rivsie11

Shortly after I moved to northern Wisconsin I hit and killed a deer with my Chevy Blazer. Two days later when I drove by the carcass, a medium-sized baldy was munching away. I understood then why Ben Franklin wanted the turkey instead of the eagle...
rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

We had a pair overwinter on our resivoir 5 years ago.One evening around dusk i saw their two fledgelings leave the nest and land on the railroad station roof. What a sight. Will never forget it

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote