View Full Version : RISAA Tournament

JohnR
05-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Next weekend is the RISAA MS Shore Tourney with proceeds going to Multiple Sclerosis.

I need to know - quickly :hee: if people here would fish the tourney as Team S-B if I provided the entry fee ($50 team fee, nothing for team members). It's a shore only RI tournament.

The details are sketchy at this point but it is run much like the Fall MDA Surf Club Challenge.

If you are interested, please add your name to the list if you are in or a maybe :btu:

Thanks,

John

BasicPatrick
05-30-2005, 09:59 AM
John,

I am seriously considering not fishing Tri state and fishin for S-B in this one.

It seems there are better quality fish in RI right now and I have already set this weekend aside for fishing.

If people are interested in putting together a S-B team is anyone interested in grabbing a room for the S-B Team. You know 4, 5, 6 of us just having a crash pad to nap out and coordinate our efforts.

Nebe
05-30-2005, 10:14 AM
i'm in :)

spence
05-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm in...

-spence

Iwannakeeper
05-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I am game. I haven't fished RI yet and would love to head out with a team.

In The Surf
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
In! :ss:

cheferson
05-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Im in

redcrbbr
05-30-2005, 01:41 PM
count me in, may be in stealth mode

leptar
05-30-2005, 06:21 PM
maybe

JohnR
05-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Well, apparently we missed the dealine though some had told me it was still open. I wish it had been better documented. There is also apparently some controversy (again) on whether we can be defined as a "club" in tourneys such as these. I will keep you all up to date as I find out more.

So, with that all said, if you do intend to fish, please do so as a member of your respective organizations. I know the Newport Club is fishing so if I enter anything, it will likely be under the Newport Club...

Thanks,

John

SeaWolf
05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Well, apparently we missed the dealine though some had told me it was still open. I wish it had been better documented. There is also apparently some controversy (again) on whether we can be defined as a "club" in tourneys such as these. I will keep you all up to date as I find out more.

So, with that all said, if you do intend to fish, please do so as a member of your respective organizations. I know the Newport Club is fishing so if I enter anything, it will likely be under the Newport Club...

Thanks,

John

i have to agree with the "club" controversy again. we went over this last fall and i don't want to make this a big battle again. i am sure many of those the browse, post, and signed up for sb.com to fish are members of clubs entered into this tournament. go out there this weekend and support your club and fish for them! if you are not a member of one of the participating clubs, come to the awards breakfast and ask some of the participating clubs about how to join their club.

JohnR
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Seawolf, I'm not looking to go full circle on this again but like I said last time, the amount of ways we function as a "club" and in many ways go beyond traditional clubs, plus the way we support traditional clubs is all the more reason we should be included in these tournaments.

Unlike some of these other clubs, we don't get our panties all in a bunch when someone that is a member of another club choses to fish for another club. If you use a legal definition of clubs, such as state or federally recognized organizations forumlated with regs and guidelines (like Robert's Rules) then half the clubs fishing these tournaments would need to be disqualified.

I am just a little disturbed that some clubs and some people feel the need to define a narrow set of rules to define "clubs" and are likely missing the point here. The point is to foster some generally good natured competition between organizations AND support a good cause at the same time.

DZ
05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
John,
Our club (Newport County) is indeed entered. Feel free to enter any eligible fish for us. Many of our members will be out this weekend looking for some bass.
Good fishing to all.
DZ

ThrowingTimber
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Does anyone have all the details for this? IE. weigh ins, boundries, cutoff etc. I checked the risaa.org site and it just says to contact Bob M. Any info would be appreciated. And good luck everyone :cheers:

Swimmer
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
John,
Sounds like thier a tad afraid of all the talent here.......If they have a problem with meetings and such I think the blooberry beer get togethers cover meetings, or plugs fest, or our in-house tourneys, or :bgi:

cheferson
05-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Sucks :(

DZ
05-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Like Seawolf said - I think most of the board members here also belong to area fishing clubs. I know our club(Newport) has quite a few, besides myself, there is Tattoo, Habs, John R, Roseneath, Big Ed, Pt Jude Joe, RIRockhound, some of the SWE staff, Iron Mike and probably a few I missed.
I'll try and link the rules and regs of the tourney.

spence
05-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Too bad, MS has impacted my family in a tremendous way...I was looking forward to this.

I think I'll fish anyway :bounce:

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
I would think that in a tournament like this the bottom line would be get as many people to fish as possible. That way you raise as much money as possible for the Charity its for. excluding people just takes money away from your original goal.

and, also, couldn't you use tournaments like this to foster interest in Clubs to grow your membership. People show up, meet people, talk and get interested in an organization and end up joining.

Its seems like a win-win to me...just don't get why you would exclude anybody.

Iwannakeeper
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
The only reasonably explaination for not wanting a club to participate is fear.

All others fear :spidey: the fishing power of striped-bass.com!!

:jump:

zacs
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
bummer. I don't belong to any clubs.

I will fish anyways, and have my own tournament, and award myself prizes in all categories. And afterwards have an awards ceremony and get all plastered by myself and go pass out in my bushes.

WOOOHOOO

spence
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
I reward myself before my personal tourney, this year first prize was a new surf top :hf1:

-spence

reelecstasy
05-31-2005, 01:53 PM
I reward myself before my personal tourney, this year first prize was a new surf top :hf1:

-spence
LOL, me too on Friday..the new Simms surf top :kewl:

JohnR
05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Club Tourneys can be funny but the MDA, which this one is modeled after is a no sheet awesome bragiing rights tourney, It really does more to fish and less on the fund raising then perhaps it could. The MDA Tourney last year raised 1200-1300 or something dollars if I remember right among all the clubs that particpated. I think much of the money raised was by people buying the raffle tickets. I know I donated a half dozen real nice plugs for the raffle table and a couple clubs donated things and a couple shops donated a reel. Again, went to a good cause.

I really would have liked to get us into the RISAA tourney but we were never invited (we have been invited to other regional tourneys, officially and unofficially) but I missed the dealine. I looked several times on their site but their were no details. Was not a problem when they wanted to push the show, plenty of links there. Anyway....

Well, in a nutshell, I received an e-mail which I will apply to tonight or tomorrow about whether or not we qualify as a "club"

Perhaps we will create a "club", elect Clammer as President, have an E-Board, charge $1 annual dues, and have out meetings at Hooters on Tuesday nights once a month in the off season :hihi:

Thanks and good luck!

John

likwid
05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
New England Surf Fishermans Association.

:think:

reelecstasy
05-31-2005, 03:14 PM
F.U. -Fisherman Unlimited

ThrowingTimber
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
striped-bass.org :hidin:

SeaWolf
05-31-2005, 03:52 PM
john, again, this is not so much an sb.com issue as it is a tournament chairman issue. i will give sb.com credit as they have several members that keep involved and advise others here about issues. some even are on advisor panels, which is great. however, being that this and the fall mda club challenge are just that, club challenges. take sb.com out of the equation for a minute. you are the tourney chair or weighmaster at a shop. someone comes in w/ a fish to weigh in for a club. they ask the member, "who are you fishing for?" they say sb.com. great, now prove to me you are a member? one of the key parts that is hardly checked is that people are up to date/in good standing members of their particular club. it's easy when you are a familiar face at a shop you weigh in at, but what if you are not and are fishing this tournament? how do i know you are part of that club? you don't have membership cards. what's to keep the same person from later weighing in a different fish for a different club? how will i know? i personally am not involved with the rules for the risaa club challenge. that is risaa and bob mueller. i am giving my viewpoints from a tournament's chair position, which i am for other clubs.

ok, next issue. you invite sb.com into the tournament. what's to say website x cannot enter it? how about website w's ri forum if they want to enter it and their parent website is already entered into it? how about if i want a group of my friend's that all happen to fish rods i built for them want to enter. are all these still clubs? why can't they be? they paid the fees to enter. what if i want to fish for myself as a club. can i if i pay the entrance fee? do you see what and where this is going? originally, once a club signed up, all members of that club are eligibile to fish. there was no sign up. but, some are members of several clubs. how do you keep track of what club they fish for or if they enter fish for different clubs? so, they started to keep track of names of participants for that club so people couldn't fish for 2 or more clubs during the tournament.

now, as far as the majority of the participating clubs entered into the fall mda tournament not being true clubs, i argue that point. i'll give you a couple, one being sb. in more recent years this has been addressed.

ok, money. the entrace fee for the tournament and raffle prizes are all donated towards the charity. also, if people or clubs wish to give extra, they can make that donation as well. sure, it's all for a good cause, but it is also a club challenge.

now, off the serious note. fear? this has nothing to do w/ fear of sb.com. my reasons were said above, but go back and do some searches and see how many people said the same things about fear as some are saying here. then, go check the people that actually weighed fish for sb during those year. yes, sb won it one year, but i believe only 3-5 people even weighed fish! it's easy to talk behind the keyboard, but few have been able to step up to the plate and back it up.

now, onto the whole club issue. i'd be curious to see how many of the members here that want to fish for sb.com are actually members of another club. so, why would you not fish for that club? why sb.com? some clubs are in need of new blood and members, fresh with ideas and enthusiasm. why not get involved? when clubs start dying, as some have or are showing trends in that way, how are lobbyist going to use rec groups for their backing? does website x.com mean or hold any value to someone like asmfc? is sb.com affiliated with any other organizations? i said this last time john, and i'll say it again, sb.com could be a very important and vital voice in support of fisheries and other issues, but they way i see it right now, it's just a message forum. again, i stress, try and look at this as someone would who is outside of sb.com. then, ask the same questions.

BasicPatrick
05-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Here we go again so I will jump in on this one. I will qualify by saying that I have been chair or on a committee of at least 4 different types of club/team/organization tournaments and have had this conversation more than five times. Here is my opinion.

The tournament committee must set the rules before the tournament is announced and in those rules need to be some sort of definition/qualification defining what makes up a "club". Both MDA and RISAA have bee very poor in this aspect with both of these tournaments.

As far as how you determine what is a "club", I see this as easy. A "legitimate" club is required by LAW to be registered both with the IRS and with a regulatory agency of their particular state. In MA it is the Office of the Attornety General. Hence forth, the easiest way to define a "club" is to require the confirmation/registration letters from both the State & Feds to be part of the application. The problem this brings up is that very very few clubs are truely legit. I suspect that some of the smaller clubs in RI have not filed in years. I know that this is the case here in MA. This is truely the best way to be covered by your insurance company and to avoid controversy with regard to who is and is not a club.

My second favorite way to define "club" is any and I meany any group of fishers that says they are a club and pays into the tournament. Now this is truly an open tournament that will maximize revenue for the charity. This is why it is my second choice.

Any other set of criteria will fall in between and is open to a lot of controversy because many clubs operate in many different ways.

As far as as clubs I belong to and who I am fishing for there is large controversy around this also. I belong to 4 "clubs" entered in this weekends MS tournament and can choose to weigh fish for either. MDA closed this loophole last year by making clubs submit names of participants ahead of time. this was a very smart rule and made anglers choose what club they are fishing for prior to the tournament.

Bottom line is that thiese questions should have been adressed prior to the announcement of the tournament and creating rules that exclude anglers after the fact is just pleain wrong.

JohnR
05-31-2005, 08:57 PM
john, again, this is not so much an sb.com issue as it is a tournament chairman issue. i will give sb.com credit as they have several members that keep involved and advise others here about issues. some even are on advisor panels, which is great. however, being that this and the fall mda club challenge are just that, club challenges. take sb.com out of the equation for a minute. you are the tourney chair or weighmaster at a shop. someone comes in w/ a fish to weigh in for a club. they ask the member, "who are you fishing for?" they say sb.com. great, now prove to me you are a member? one of the key parts that is hardly checked is that people are up to date/in good standing members of their particular club. it's easy when you are a familiar face at a shop you weigh in at, but what if you are not and are fishing this tournament? how do i know you are part of that club? you don't have membership cards. what's to keep the same person from later weighing in a different fish for a different club? how will i know? i personally am not involved with the rules for the risaa club challenge. that is risaa and bob mueller. i am giving my viewpoints from a tournament's chair position, which i am for other clubs. Two things: First - a great solution was implemented at the last MDA, having a list of who would be fishing for what club - this took care of exactly what you mentioned plus it made certain that those that belong to multiple participating clubs - and there were many - could not chose depending on which way the wind was blowing or which club needed a little boost. Same with weighing for multiple fish. Now all fish weighed in really should have the tail cut in a specific way (without impacting length) to prevent multiple times being entered. Some tournaments do this and it is a good policy. Also, how many people carry their club membership cards with them? 50% maybe? When a fish is entered in a club tourney, it is easy to check membership standing - this completely fails at the intra-club level, short of the roster. So the rosters work on several levels. Based on the current system, I suppose I could weigh in a fish for RISAA even though I am not a member (I have not gotten around to join yet but the wife so no more fishing commitments )

ok, next issue. you invite sb.com into the tournament. what's to say website x cannot enter it? how about website w's ri forum if they want to enter it and their parent website is already entered into it? how about if i want a group of my friend's that all happen to fish rods i built for them want to enter. are all these still clubs? why can't they be? they paid the fees to enter. what if i want to fish for myself as a club. can i if i pay the entrance fee? do you see what and where this is going? originally, once a club signed up, all members of that club are eligibile to fish. there was no sign up. but, some are members of several clubs. how do you keep track of what club they fish for or if they enter fish for different clubs? so, they started to keep track of names of participants for that club so people couldn't fish for 2 or more clubs during the tournament. You are now dividing one entity into several. Some Tourneys have fixed group size (Tri State) so a club splits teams into A, B, C, etc. This creates some competition within clubs too. As for a bunch of friends getting together? That's far more loosely based than say S-B, which is a defined entity, like a club. We're defined as in we have a place we meet - online, members are registered, rosters can be defined in advance... I have not given much thought about a manufacture putting a team together, say like Team VS.

now, as far as the majority of the participating clubs entered into the fall mda tournament not being true clubs, i argue that point. i'll give you a couple, one being sb. in more recent years this has been addressed. I don't want to put gas on a flame but several of the MDA teams, even historically competing teams, are not "legal" clubs so that is a wash. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a club needs legal status but I am saying that several of your tightly defined "clubs" do not pass legal muster. No more than SB would, no less.

ok, money. the entrace fee for the tournament and raffle prizes are all donated towards the charity. also, if people or clubs wish to give extra, they can make that donation as well. sure, it's all for a good cause, but it is also a club challenge. - yep, all for a good cause

now, off the serious note. fear? this has nothing to do w/ fear of sb.com. my reasons were said above, but go back and do some searches and see how many people said the same things about fear as some are saying here. then, go check the people that actually weighed fish for sb during those year. yes, sb won it one year, but i believe only 3-5 people even weighed fish! it's easy to talk behind the keyboard, but few have been able to step up to the plate and back it up. I don't think "fear" is a real reason either. Perhaps with some thinking we'd bring down 100 people, which is obviously has not been the case. We've typically had somewhere between 6 and a baker's dozen fish a tourney, not the 20-40+ members that teams like RIMS et al have entered in the past. Yeh, that year SB won it, 3-4 guys whacked the daylights out of the fish, Hab's, Tattoo, Krispy, and I (sadly) don't recall if there was one other, that put SB over the top. Then guys from WS or RIMS, forgot which but I think RIMS, got all bent out of shape that they lost because those fish were not entered for that team. How many guys did RIMS and Weekapaug have that year? Or the year after when RISAA had some huge number of anglers fishing the tourney?

now, onto the whole club issue. i'd be curious to see how many of the members here that want to fish for sb.com are actually members of another club. so, why would you not fish for that club? why sb.com? some clubs are in need of new blood and members, fresh with ideas and enthusiasm. why not get involved? when clubs start dying, as some have or are showing trends in that way, how are lobbyist going to use rec groups for their backing? does website x.com mean or hold any value to someone like asmfc? is sb.com affiliated with any other organizations? i said this last time john, and i'll say it again, sb.com could be a very important and vital voice in support of fisheries and other issues, but they way i see it right now, it's just a message forum. again, i stress, try and look at this as someone would who is outside of sb.com. then, ask the same questions. I disagree that we are just a "message forum". Yes, that’s what we revolve around more or less, but we have become a community, and in many ways more so than some clubs. You mention the ones that have failed over the years, well, many have been brought down by squabbles, hands in the cookie jar, and lack of fresh blood, far too narrow of focus, or plain unwillingness to change with the times.

I think we do have some pull on fisheries issues. Not the pull of a MSBA or RISAA but some pull and some influence when muscles are flexed and calls made. I know we are not organized as efficiently as we could be on this. Or as political as we could be. I do all I can and do not have time to do more. Could SB move that way more in the future? Perhaps. But that would entail involvement from others stepping up to the plate to do this. I can't do anymore.

The sad fact is that most clubs generate so few people to attack a subject where it counts in fisheries meetings. RISAA and MSBA being probably the most vocal in RI & Mass, send the most people to hearings and public events but it is still painfully too few doing it and usually the same few (though RISAA impresses me by how broad their influence is on various committees and such). How many clubs don't send anyone? Or don't sit on any committees? Would more than half be a fair number?

Well, not to beat a dead horse , again but you and I are obviously still on opposite sides of the fence on this subject. I can see and even appreciate some of your points. But you seem to minimize what SB is in some areas and maximize what clubs are in other areas. The way I look at it, we define a lot of things of a "club"; camaraderie, education, responsibility, action, community, yet place it in an easy to access format with fewer limitations than some traditional clubs. We are perhaps an extension of the club philosophy in mission without some of the baggage that sometimes impedes regular clubs, at least those that fail. So I feel that in many cases we do define the "spirit" of a club better than many out there now do.

Are we the best club out there? No. Are we the best community (you say message board)? Maybe, maybe not. Some think so and others think not. But do we grab the spirit of a club that is pretty open to all walks? Yeh, I think we do....

cheferson
05-31-2005, 09:13 PM
:claps: :claps:

JohnR
05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
I want to add so that people know, I am not trying to be confrontational on this. Seawolf and I have had this discussion before, we are just on opposite sides of the coin...

spence
06-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Clearly technology has provided a new kind of club, to say the regular members of S-B.com arn't participating in a club would be absurd.

Given the diversity of the participants, the openess and the easy and non-threatening nature of the conversation, I'd even wager that an individual might get much more from an online "club" than a traditional one. Just don't expect a cuppa at 2am :gu:

I'm not saying the traditional club is dead, and this is the way of the future...but you know what I mean.

Back when I was on the Iowa State Karate team, you had to be a black belt to fight in some large competitions. If you weren't yet but were good enough to compete, Master Pak would simply make you one for the day. It really wasn't that big of a deal...

If the purpose of the event is to raise money, it makes no sense to exclude when there would be so many simple ways to allow ad-hoc clubs that are following a specified set of rules.

-spence

JohnR
06-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Clearly technology has provided a new kind of club, to say the regular members of S-B.com arn't participating in a club would be absurd.

I'm not saying the traditional club is dead, and this is the way of the future...but you know what I mean.

I agree. We are, certainly in spirit and by the dictionary's definition, a modern iteration of a pretty open and inclusive "club". We are not a replacement for the traditional club, in fact, we actively encourage participation in "brick and mortar" clubs and support these clubs as well and do not wish to impede or supplant them.

Just a new way of doing the traditional "club"...

reelecstasy
06-01-2005, 07:31 AM
:claps: :cputin: :claps:

SeaWolf
06-01-2005, 08:44 AM
john - i also want to state, as you did, that i am not trying to point a finger at sb or be confrontational. i am just making points as a tournament chairman.

these are some of the issues that continue to come up. it's just that if there are loopholes, people will use them. i've seen it. i always tried to close as many loopholes in any of my tournaments as possible to avoid these types of situations. as basicpatrick stated above, more could be done to make clubs prove they are ligit clubs. i have been around the mda for years and have heard first hand and second hand about all the issues, complaints, arguments, etc., from one person or club. i just remember those and see if i start to hear a trend. the "controversy" w/ sb entering the tournament that one year happened after the previous year and before the next year's tournament. i just brought these issues i commonly heard to the mda chairman and gave some suggestions about how to handle it. oh, and you'd be surprised by how very few participants the clubs that i know actually have fishing for them.

i agree with you john that sb is a community. but, my point was take those of us on this site out of the picture and look at it from someone that doesn't really know the site. to them, it's considered a website. how do you prove to them you are a club or community? does it hold any weight to these people? also, the same can be said for some fishing clubs as you mentioned. most do very little outside their little community inside those doors. many probably are not involved in fisheries or ROW's/access.

i also do not want you to think i am telling you to do all these things to get sb to that next level. there should be some here are willing to take these bulls and run with them, with your approval of course. there are many here with plenty of qualifications to do these things. i just think sb is ready to make that jump.

oh, and the fear thing, that was just me talking some smack! if you can talk it, you better be able to back it up.

Iwannakeeper
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
now, off the serious note. fear? this has nothing to do w/ fear of sb.com. my reasons were said above, but go back and do some searches and see how many people said the same things about fear as some are saying here. then, go check the people that actually weighed fish for sb during those year. yes, sb won it one year, but i believe only 3-5 people even weighed fish! it's easy to talk behind the keyboard, but few have been able to step up to the plate and back it up.

Did you notice the little faces - it is called a sense of humor