View Full Version : Plug Help

TSPS
12-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Hello Guys ,
I got a Plug Building Kit from NJ Tackle . I've never built a lure before so I'm alittle lost . What kind of paint and sealer do I use ? Whats the best way to apply the paint/sealer ? Any help would be great , I got Kit A-40.

Thanks

numbskull
12-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Here is what I've gleaned from this site in the past couple of months.

Val-Oil/Turp 60/40 mix to seal (soak 1 minute for softwoods)
Let dry 24 hours at least, days is better.
Sand lightly with 220
Prime with Zissner Cover All (gold spray can)
Dry 24 hours, then sand with 150 or 220 (can repeat prime if desired). Wipe clean.
Paint with Krylon, wet to wet (5-10 minutes between colors), or with Createx if you've got an air brush. Don't mix types of paint (i.e., no oil base enamel over waterbase, or lacquer over enamel).
Wait 24 hours, then clearcoat with krylon clear.
Wait 7+ days, scuff sand with 400, then epoxy coat with Enviorntex or system 3.
Let dry, then trade to someone else so you get something good before the finish comes off.
Hope this helps.

Kadywampus
12-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Let dry, then trade to someone else so you get something good before the finish comes off.
Hope this helps.

Too funny .
:hihi:

justplugit
12-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Ditto Kadywampus. :laughs:
Geez NS, your way to concise and complete with your instuctions. Your gonna make these guys commercial builders in a day. :hihi: :D

sportyguy33
12-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Is the Val oil Turp a mixture of Turpentine and Val Oil?
What other types of sealers are there

FlukinUki
12-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Sportyguy...Thats a whole can of worms there. There are many, each have their advantages and disadvantages.

TSPS, I know I may take alot of flack for this but if you want to speed through the process on your first (probably of many) plugs you could skip the sealer and start with a spray primer. Keep in mind that skipping the sealer may reduce the life of a plug. I dont know what wood that kit is turned from. Start with a simple paint scheme and build the kit. Keep it simple. You'll learn alot in a short time, especially if you hang around here.

Kadywampus
12-27-2005, 09:47 PM
It's my advise that you put the plug down and back away slowly , it's not too late to save yourself . :hihi:

FlukinUki
12-27-2005, 09:50 PM
It's my advise that you put the plug down and back away slowly , it's not too late to save yourself . :hihi:

truer words were never spoken :rotfl:

Now send me the kit and save yourself :rotfl:

sportyguy33
12-27-2005, 09:54 PM
TSPS
I say you finish the kit and when you're all done Send it to me.

As the Master of Plug Hp'ing says "I have no plugs" :zup:

thefishingfreak
12-28-2005, 01:44 AM
Here is what I've gleaned from this site in the past couple of months.

Val-Oil/Turp 60/40 mix to seal (soak 1 minute for softwoods)
Let dry 24 hours at least, days is better.
Sand lightly with 220
Prime with Zissner Cover All (gold spray can)
Dry 24 hours, then sand with 150 or 220 (can repeat prime if desired). Wipe clean.
Paint with Krylon, wet to wet (5-10 minutes between colors), or with Createx if you've got an air brush. Don't mix types of paint (i.e., no oil base enamel over waterbase, or lacquer over enamel).
Wait 24 hours, then clearcoat with krylon clear.
Wait 7+ days, scuff sand with 400, then epoxy coat with Enviorntex or system 3.
Hope this helps.

take this with a grain of salt,
because it's only 1/2 right...
24 hrs to clear? thats why it peels.
1 week to topcoat? ZZZzzzzz:sleeps:
i'll do it in 15 minutes

numbskull
12-28-2005, 07:09 AM
i'll do it in 15 minutes

Well, 1/2 right is about my norm, and I've been wondering about that wait to clear coat bit if the color coats are also Krylon, but I think the guy might run into problems if he tries to epoxy over fresh paint, or puts Krylon over wet Createx, though I can't honestly say I've tried either.

afterhours
12-28-2005, 07:18 AM
NS, you're on the right track. you can safely epoxy over krylon in 24 hrs, no clear or scuff coat in between. keep plug and hands clean.

Flaptail
12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
i'll do it in 15 minutes

But Mike, your in the auto-body business so it only stands to reason you might know a better way. NS isn't but is learning the "secrets" very well that you have known for years and learned somewhere along the line yourself. Give it a little slack here please. Sound a little harsh and I know that's not how you are.:lasso:

Got my new chisel set and the birds are ready to fly.

Striperknight
12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Sportyguy...Thats a whole can of worms there. There are many, each have their advantages and disadvantages.

TSPS, I know I may take alot of flack for this but if you want to speed through the process on your first (probably of many) plugs you could skip the sealer and start with a spray primer. Keep in mind that skipping the sealer may reduce the life of a plug. I dont know what wood that kit is turned from. Start with a simple paint scheme and build the kit. Keep it simple. You'll learn alot in a short time, especially if you hang around here.

Skipping the sealler will have his paint peeling off after the 2nd or 3rd time he uses the plug. Most newebies make the mistake of rushing and not letting every layer dry.

thefishingfreak
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
yes sorry,, don't mean to be harsh.:smash:
too late last night :tooth:

:gu:

bassmaster
12-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Bud, paint it and swim it test it, then move on to how to make it catch fish, all the other stuff will come in time
perty plugs that dont swim = /kill
learn the basics then ho plug bodys:sick:

TSPS
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks Very Much , for the help . but now I am scared :pop: with my luck it will either scar the fish of or make them laugh their fins off.

:thanks:

FlukinUki
12-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Paint it, beat it, make (or ho) more :hihi: