View Full Version : What do you use and how do you sharpen your hooks ?

striprman
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I see a few different hook sharpeners out there, files, grinders, hones, stones. I suppose each type of sharpening tool has its place. Ever not hook up because of a bad hook tip point ?...don't lie, I know you have..so, how do you sharpen your hooks ? use Gamagatsu or other lazer or chemically sharpened hooks ?

I use the "scratch the thumbnail" method to see if my mustad hooks are sharp enough.

Sluggoslinger
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I've never done it... Does it make a difference?

SAXATILUS
03-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Naturally I learned the hard way. Lost a real nice fish one night and the old guy I was with said " Let me see that hook", looks at it , drags it across his finger nail, "it's dull, the bigger they are the harder there mouths are". Now all hooks are sticky sharp all the time. Dr Slick diamond file, best 20 bucks I've spent.

striprman
03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I've never done it... Does it make a difference?

Ever loose a good fish ? don't lie...

quick decision
03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
i use a hook sharpener

libassboy
03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I use to sharpen hooks before i switched to vmc's. Now i just replace them if they start to get dull. If you sharpen vmc's they will rust quickly.

nautibuoys
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
After trying all the stones and files, I now use the hook sharpener that looks like 2 chainsaw files molded together in a plastic handle. Don't know the name of it; got it in a shop down the Cape. I've seen them in different B&T shops. Sharpens quick and simple. You can rake off the point pretty quick is you get overzealous but it works slick.

MakoMike
03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I just use a simple 6 inch mill bastard file on the big hooks and a smaller hook file on the smaller hooks.

Pete_G
03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I use to sharpen hooks before i switched to vmc's. Now i just replace them if they start to get dull. If you sharpen vmc's they will rust quickly.

Believe it or not a surprising number of VMC's come out of the package dull. Sometimes the tip is rounded or it's just simply dull, but it's always worth checking.

Hooks need to be "sticky" sharp. They should grab instantly like an Owner Stinger fresh out of the package.

As for sharpening chemically sharpened hooks, I've never seen either a file or a person capable of putting a point of original quality on something like an Owner or a Gamakatsu.

I used to be a BIG fan of the Braid Sharpoint Hook File, but that file isn't of the same build quality it once was. The Dr. Slick large hook file is my favorite hook file these days. There are files more expensive and less expensive, but that's the one I like.

Sluggoslinger
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Ever loose a good fish ? don't lie...

yup, last year. really nice bass off monomoy stripping lots of line. got it turned around and finally it just spit the hook out... I swear that fish winked at me when he did it. I was with two drunk friends on board for the boat ride... not fisherman... I almost left them on monomoy I was so mad... They thought it was hysterical b/c I was so into it...

ThrowingTimber
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
dremel with a ceramic tip.

jklett
03-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I use rocks.

Seriously, I have a rock I picked up on a river bank one day and I use that like a whetstone. It works great and it brings be luck(or so I keep telling myself).

In The Surf
03-03-2006, 05:19 PM
The Dr. Slick large hook file is my favorite hook file these days. There are files more expensive and less expensive, but that's the one I like.

Ditto

stiff tip
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
most generaly ,afine basterd file for larger hooks ,and store bought hook hone ,works best . spray w/ lite oil or wd40 after use .a good capt ; or fisherperson sharpens all there hooks ,makes sense.w hen i fish w/bait i use bronze hooks ,they rust out easer

tattoobob
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't know what the hook sharpener I have is called, but it is 2 round files welded together and has a handle, I paid $15.00 for it and it works the best as fas as I have found.

remember to dress the sharpened hook with a sharpie to help it not to rust, I also use red.

Pete_G
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't know what the hook sharpener I have is called, but it is 2 round files welded together and has a handle, I paid $15.00 for it and it works the best as fas as I have found.

remember to dress the sharpened hook with a sharpie to help it not to rust, I also use red.

It's a Donmar product I think. There are copies of it out there as well.

Pete_G
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Donmar aka Checkpoint.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/PROD//TL46

Clogston29
03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I also like the dr slick file. The braid one puts a great point on about 10 hooks and is useless after that.

tattoobob
03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Thats the one :thanks:

Pete_G
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I also like the dr slick file. The braid one puts a great point on about 10 hooks and is useless after that.

I don't know what they did to that Braid file. I still have a couple of old ones and while it looks the same it sure doesn't last like the old one. The long lifespan of the old one was half the reason I liked it so much.:confused:

But, that's the way it seems to be with almost anything that good...

gone fishin
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I found out that you need to sharpen hooks while fishing the ditch almost constantly. Bounce the bottom a couple of times and there is a round ball at the end of the hook if you are lucky enough to get it back. I carry a small file such as the one discussed here and check the knot and hook every few casts. Takes just a minute, but it saves lost hookups.

Plugs are a little more forgiving, but they too get beat on the rocks.:btu:

I'll bet slip and mac agree with me on this one.

NIB
03-04-2006, 08:26 AM
most generaly ,afine basterd file

Thats what I use.I got used to yrs ago because u had to remove alot of material on mustads to get a point on em.I oil it up an put it in a old plastic lure bag like a gibbs bag fold it up an stick it in a plug slot in the bag.easy to find.simple fast.Nothing works better i've tried em all.

Striper1
03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I guess I'm the only one who uses a v notch stone ???

and I use a magic marker on the tip after I sharpen it

Mr. Sandman
03-04-2006, 01:12 PM
I use to sharpen my hooks every trip but nowadays I actually sharpen my hooks a lot less. I just replace them. I have been buying lots of owners, gamis and 6x vmcs in all sizes and as soon as they are dull I just replace them. I don't like a tarnished hook on my plug or lure. I want it new. I spend a few hundred $ per year on hooks. I mail order in bulk packs whenever I can. I don't even like a tarnished hook on a plug even if it is pretty sharp. If I have the time I will replace it. There is something about a new sharp hook gives me a real good feeling of confidence, when there are those lethally sharp owners on a plug, lure or hooked thru an eel or bait, you feel confident. That feeling is worth paying for. Yep they are expensive, but when you set the hook it sinks in solid. Those suckers will really set. Moreover they stand up to abuse with pliers when the action gets heavy. I tend to keep the short shanked 6X VMC's (which are great hooks for the $ and available in bulk) on my boat lures that see lots of heavy action and I replace these sometimes as often as every trip (but many times they last couple weeks) as the cost is low. I still like the owners the best though and fish with these on my best lures. I keep a Plano box (one in the truck and one on the boat) stocked with all sizes of OWNER (single and trebles), VMC(trebles) and Gami (single hooks) with a good back up supply at my house.
Most people see that box of hooks on board and usually make a comment like..."jezzz, you are pretty serious about hooks eh?."

I figure, you spend a ton of time and expense in the planning and in the execution of fishing trips, and can only fish for a few months of the year that I am not cheaping out on hooks or line when I finally get out there. Just replace it as soon as it is worn.

Be honest, don't you just hate it when you buy a decent plug and it has a cheap ass wire hook that you wouldn't use if you life depended on it? (Case in point, sluggo stock hooks) I would prefer baits either come with a quality hook or none at all. I think most of the plug builders on this site follow that mantra. At least all of the plugs that I have purchased from the guys and shops on this site have. I am not offended if a plug comes without hooks, I am pleased I get to pick what I want.
I know many of the production plug makers have to target some "price point" and the hook usually is what gets cheaped out on but why not just leave it off altogether? Most shops are happy to rig it right for you and will put on something that is appropriate for your application.

macojoe
03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I never thought hooks made a difference, then I tryed some Gammys and wow!!
I buy good hooks and change often and on all my jigs i use a hook sharpener. Its Orange and has 2 rods that sharpen the hook, Never leave home with out it!

Brother Brian
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Six inch Lurh-Jensen (the yellow handle). Get a new one every year. It goes in a drainable sleeve in the bag and gets soaked with WD40 often.

baldwin
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
If you often get hits instead of hookups, you probably have dull hooks. I sharpen mine so that they're dangerous. Double chainsaw file is my favorite. Go online to the Surfcaster. They sell all kinds of great surfcasting gear, lures, etc. They also have the file.

Fish On
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I use a little 3 inch rod file with a groove in it. Comes in a silver sleeve with a black handle. Costs around $5 and easy to replace. Does a great job.

FishnGrega
09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Is there anyway to get the rust off a file? I've used PB Blaster and WD40. both do not seem to be cutting it. :smash:

The Dad Fisherman
09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Wire Brush and Elbow Grease.

or Electrolosys would work....but it would be cheaper to buy a new file

eastendlu
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
You can also clean a file with a penny if you don't have a wire brush handy.The copper is soft and as you stroke the penny on the file it rakes the teeth and gets out all the clogs (old machinist trick).

FishnGrega
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Great thanks! tried it and it looks like new!

BassDawg
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
been using the cheapy Rapala one that goes around yer neck. worked fine for two years; but it's finally to its end.

Pete do you carry these hook honers at The Edge? if so, i'll see you for The Habs Classic
and pick one up then ~~thanks for the heads up.

i sharpen my Gammi's/Owner's, after every decent fish, or switch leaders and do it during down time between tides. i usually only sharpen them once, then they get tossed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i'm not gonna risk missing the freight train of a lifetime due to hooks that don't pass the thumbnail check, often :grins: :grins: :grins:

The Iceman 6
09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
yup, last year. really nice bass off monomoy stripping lots of line. got it turned around and finally it just spit the hook out... I swear that fish winked at me when he did it. I was with two drunk friends on board for the boat ride... not fisherman... I almost left them on monomoy I was so mad... They thought it was hysterical b/c I was so into it...

Great response!

maddmatt
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I use rocks.

Seriously, I have a rock I picked up on a river bank one day and I use that like a whetstone. It works great and it brings be luck(or so I keep telling myself).

in a pinch i've used rocks too!! still i have stones in my rain top, dash of the truck, hangin on my waders and off my plug bag.

i like stones cause they don't rust

just my .02

Goose
09-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Why would you wanna sharpen hooks?? Just tie on another one! You'll never beat'um out of the package sharp.

'what sandman said'

zimmy
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Is there anyway to get the rust off a file? I've used PB Blaster and WD40. both do not seem to be cutting it. :smash:

soak it in vinegar for a couple of days. Learned it from my grandfather. Makes 70 year old tractor parts look almost new. oh yeah... wire brush in combo helps.

rizzo
09-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I usually fish rocks, so I just use the one I'm standing on - saves the weight of carrying a file.