Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

What do you use and how do you sharpen your hooks ?

I see a few different hook sharpeners out there, files, grinders, hones, stones. I suppose each type of sharpening tool has its place. Ever not hook up because of a bad hook tip point ?...don't lie, I know you have..so, how do you sharpen your hooks ? use Gamagatsu or other lazer or chemically sharpened hooks ?

I use the "scratch the thumbnail" method to see if my mustad hooks are sharp enough.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Sluggoslinger

I've never done it... Does it make a difference?
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
SAXATILUS

Naturally I learned the hard way. Lost a real nice fish one night and the old guy I was with said " Let me see that hook", looks at it , drags it across his finger nail, "it's dull, the bigger they are the harder there mouths are". Now all hooks are sticky sharp all the time. Dr Slick diamond file, best 20 bucks I've spent.
SAXATILUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggoslinger
I've never done it... Does it make a difference?
Ever loose a good fish ? don't lie...

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
quick decision

i use a hook sharpener

thats why they call it fishing not catching
quick decision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
libassboy

I use to sharpen hooks before i switched to vmc's. Now i just replace them if they start to get dull. If you sharpen vmc's they will rust quickly.
libassboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
nautibuoys

Sharpen hooks

After trying all the stones and files, I now use the hook sharpener that looks like 2 chainsaw files molded together in a plastic handle. Don't know the name of it; got it in a shop down the Cape. I've seen them in different B&T shops. Sharpens quick and simple. You can rake off the point pretty quick is you get overzealous but it works slick.
nautibuoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
MakoMike

I just use a simple 6 inch mill bastard file on the big hooks and a smaller hook file on the smaller hooks.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by libassboy
I use to sharpen hooks before i switched to vmc's. Now i just replace them if they start to get dull. If you sharpen vmc's they will rust quickly.
Believe it or not a surprising number of VMC's come out of the package dull. Sometimes the tip is rounded or it's just simply dull, but it's always worth checking.

Hooks need to be "sticky" sharp. They should grab instantly like an Owner Stinger fresh out of the package.

As for sharpening chemically sharpened hooks, I've never seen either a file or a person capable of putting a point of original quality on something like an Owner or a Gamakatsu.

I used to be a BIG fan of the Braid Sharpoint Hook File, but that file isn't of the same build quality it once was. The Dr. Slick large hook file is my favorite hook file these days. There are files more expensive and less expensive, but that's the one I like.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Sluggoslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by striprman
Ever loose a good fish ? don't lie...
yup, last year. really nice bass off monomoy stripping lots of line. got it turned around and finally it just spit the hook out... I swear that fish winked at me when he did it. I was with two drunk friends on board for the boat ride... not fisherman... I almost left them on monomoy I was so mad... They thought it was hysterical b/c I was so into it...
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

dremel with a ceramic tip.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #12
jklett
Primate

I use rocks.

Seriously, I have a rock I picked up on a river bank one day and I use that like a whetstone. It works great and it brings be luck(or so I keep telling myself).
jklett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G
The Dr. Slick large hook file is my favorite hook file these days. There are files more expensive and less expensive, but that's the one I like.
Ditto
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
stiff tip

most generaly ,afine basterd file for larger hooks ,and store bought hook hone ,works best . spray w/ lite oil or wd40 after use .a good capt ; or fisherperson sharpens all there hooks ,makes sense.w hen i fish w/bait i use bronze hooks ,they rust out easer
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I don't know what the hook sharpener I have is called, but it is 2 round files welded together and has a handle, I paid $15.00 for it and it works the best as fas as I have found.

remember to dress the sharpened hook with a sharpie to help it not to rust, I also use red.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #16
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob
I don't know what the hook sharpener I have is called, but it is 2 round files welded together and has a handle, I paid $15.00 for it and it works the best as fas as I have found.

remember to dress the sharpened hook with a sharpie to help it not to rust, I also use red.
It's a Donmar product I think. There are copies of it out there as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Pete_G

Donmar aka Checkpoint.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/PROD//TL46
Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
Clogston29
xxx

I also like the dr slick file. The braid one puts a great point on about 10 hooks and is useless after that.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #19
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Thats the one

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29
I also like the dr slick file. The braid one puts a great point on about 10 hooks and is useless after that.
I don't know what they did to that Braid file. I still have a couple of old ones and while it looks the same it sure doesn't last like the old one. The long lifespan of the old one was half the reason I liked it so much.

But, that's the way it seems to be with almost anything that good...
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
gone fishin

I found out that you need to sharpen hooks while fishing the ditch almost constantly. Bounce the bottom a couple of times and there is a round ball at the end of the hook if you are lucky enough to get it back. I carry a small file such as the one discussed here and check the knot and hook every few casts. Takes just a minute, but it saves lost hookups.

Plugs are a little more forgiving, but they too get beat on the rocks.

I'll bet slip and mac agree with me on this one.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #22
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip
most generaly ,afine basterd file

Thats what I use.I got used to yrs ago because u had to remove alot of material on mustads to get a point on em.I oil it up an put it in a old plastic lure bag like a gibbs bag fold it up an stick it in a plug slot in the bag.easy to find.simple fast.Nothing works better i've tried em all.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
Striper1
Scomber scombrus

Hooks

I guess I'm the only one who uses a v notch stone ???

and I use a magic marker on the tip after I sharpen it

Striper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
Mr. Sandman

I use to sharpen my hooks every trip but nowadays I actually sharpen my hooks a lot less. I just replace them. I have been buying lots of owners, gamis and 6x vmcs in all sizes and as soon as they are dull I just replace them. I don't like a tarnished hook on my plug or lure. I want it new. I spend a few hundred $ per year on hooks. I mail order in bulk packs whenever I can. I don't even like a tarnished hook on a plug even if it is pretty sharp. If I have the time I will replace it. There is something about a new sharp hook gives me a real good feeling of confidence, when there are those lethally sharp owners on a plug, lure or hooked thru an eel or bait, you feel confident. That feeling is worth paying for. Yep they are expensive, but when you set the hook it sinks in solid. Those suckers will really set. Moreover they stand up to abuse with pliers when the action gets heavy. I tend to keep the short shanked 6X VMC's (which are great hooks for the $ and available in bulk) on my boat lures that see lots of heavy action and I replace these sometimes as often as every trip (but many times they last couple weeks) as the cost is low. I still like the owners the best though and fish with these on my best lures. I keep a Plano box (one in the truck and one on the boat) stocked with all sizes of OWNER (single and trebles), VMC(trebles) and Gami (single hooks) with a good back up supply at my house.
Most people see that box of hooks on board and usually make a comment like..."jezzz, you are pretty serious about hooks eh?."

I figure, you spend a ton of time and expense in the planning and in the execution of fishing trips, and can only fish for a few months of the year that I am not cheaping out on hooks or line when I finally get out there. Just replace it as soon as it is worn.

Be honest, don't you just hate it when you buy a decent plug and it has a cheap ass wire hook that you wouldn't use if you life depended on it? (Case in point, sluggo stock hooks) I would prefer baits either come with a quality hook or none at all. I think most of the plug builders on this site follow that mantra. At least all of the plugs that I have purchased from the guys and shops on this site have. I am not offended if a plug comes without hooks, I am pleased I get to pick what I want.
I know many of the production plug makers have to target some "price point" and the hook usually is what gets cheaped out on but why not just leave it off altogether? Most shops are happy to rig it right for you and will put on something that is appropriate for your application.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #25
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
I never thought hooks made a difference, then I tryed some Gammys and wow!!
I buy good hooks and change often and on all my jigs i use a hook sharpener. Its Orange and has 2 rods that sharpen the hook, Never leave home with out it!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Brother Brian
Count on it, I'm going!

Six inch Lurh-Jensen (the yellow handle). Get a new one every year. It goes in a drainable sleeve in the bag and gets soaked with WD40 often.
Brother Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #27
baldwin

If you often get hits instead of hookups, you probably have dull hooks. I sharpen mine so that they're dangerous. Double chainsaw file is my favorite. Go online to the Surfcaster. They sell all kinds of great surfcasting gear, lures, etc. They also have the file.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #28
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
I use a little 3 inch rod file with a groove in it. Comes in a silver sleeve with a black handle. Costs around $5 and easy to replace. Does a great job.
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #29
FishnGrega

Is there anyway to get the rust off a file? I've used PB Blaster and WD40. both do not seem to be cutting it.
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Wire Brush and Elbow Grease.

or Electrolosys would work....but it would be cheaper to buy a new file

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote