View Full Version : Hands Free Laws!!!!

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok......I am curious what you think about the "Hands Free" cell phone laws that many states are passing? This has been a thorn in my side for a few years now and everytime I hear it mentioned I get so PO'd!!!! So I am curious if you all think it will save lives or not? Now I am going to bless you with my opinion......:hihi: !

Now I think the problem with using a cell phone while operating a moving vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with the hands......I think it is more of a situation of when folks are using a phone....cell phone/home phone...whatever, they tend to zone out and their mind gets tunnel visioned! The problem is in the mind while talking on the phone, not that one hand is not on the wheel!!!! I would like to kick the person in the teeth that thinks otherwise! You ever talk on your cell while driving for about 10 minutes and then when you hang up you don't remember passing certain things/landmarks? Its because your mind was busy on the phone!!!!:call: :nailem:

Reason I bring this up is I was just coming home and had a guy pull out from a wide open side street with great visibility in both directions, with moving traffic coming at him from both directions, he is talking on one of the hands free headphone phones and he decides he is going to pull out in front of a car that has the right of way, is traveling at the posted 40 miles per hour and is only approx. 150 feet from him when he does so.........fortunately for him the oncoming vehicle was paying attention, slammed on his brakes and stopped inches shy of creaming this idiot!!!!! And the guy continues his conversation with a blank "I am on the phone" stare and backs up waving at the guy that almost hit him like it was no big deal........the guy almost killed him!:doh:

These hands free laws are not going to save even one life and I will argue to my death with anyone who believes they will!:smash:

People need to pull over when they need to talk on the phone...plain and simple!

Slipknot
03-17-2006, 01:47 PM
we'll miss you when you are gone Bigfish :(

fishaholic18
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Larry, follow that guy to the supermarket and beat his a$$.:usd:

I know what you mean though, happens to me all the time, and they look at you like YOU did something wrong.:conf:

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Am I going somewhere?:eek:

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I still don't hear if you guys think "Hands Free" is the answer....convince me!:gf:

spence
03-17-2006, 01:50 PM
My cell phone with power cord and hands free cord wrapped around my stick shift and parking break have nearly killed myself and others more times than I care to imagine :conf:

I use a cell a lot while driving, but I think it's very dangerous even with the hands free kit.

-spence

fishaholic18
03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
So...Where u going????:eek: :usd:

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Crazy...wanna come?:gf:

fishaholic18
03-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Crazy...wanna come?:gf:
Sure, I like crazy...:usd:

Squid kids Dad
03-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Talking on cell phones while driving is good for my business as well as Raider Rons...:uhoh: :btu:

Bob Thomas
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Only problem is there is a law making it illegal to wear headphones while driving. This is to prevent walkman use during driving but also applies to the hands free ear sets people are using. This state needs to re-think some old laws!

Slipknot
03-17-2006, 03:28 PM
These hands free laws are not going to save even one life and I will argue to my death with anyone who believes they will!:smash:

you said you'd argue to your death so I guess you are going 6 feet under ;)

yep, you should pull over if you cannot carry on a conversation at the same time as driving.

me personally, I don't have any problem carrying on conversation while driving whether it is with someone in the car or on the phone. and there have been many times while in a car driving by myself not on a phone and my mind wanders and the next thing I know I took the wrong exit or whatever. it just happens.

Having said that I think cell phones do add to the cause of many accidents but so do other distractions like putting on makeup, reading a map,fiddling with the radio ...........etc,

Raven
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
with Bigfish about the tunnel vision....or in an attempt to maintain good control you go on automatic pilot.

i had this kid pull out in front of me....while talking on his cell phone causing me to almost smash this other guys car....

so he books a right turn just to avoid confrontation....and i left rubber backing up to go get him and trapped him in a parking lot along with the other guy and blocked his exit....

then i run up and he's still talking on the phone....oblivious to my approach STILL.... so i yell at him WHAT THE F__K dude...
blood vesels about to pop.... as the other guy joins me...

hang up that phone ....i yelled. so then he's all upset (good)
and i told him he nearly caused two accidents....because your not paying attention... and he says...but it was my dad yelling at me while on the phone..and i couldnt concentrate ... now his eyes are all watery... and i explained that your phone takes messages....and your supposed to pull over.... i almost called his dad to give him a ration of shat too.

on the other hand...if you get lost , you (sometimes) need to be on it...(a cell phone) if someone is giving you directions to a hard to find spot. but making them hands free wont change a damned thing...people will still be tunnel vision driving or on automatic pilot in a trance.

also: anyone i see on a cell phone gets absolutely no courtesy
because they don't deserve it....and the cell phone drivers that speed and screw me up...have a death wish. :mad:

Van
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
It all makes sense and I see many times too. But I also talk while driving (i try to be real carful). Bottom line is whether they are talking on their phones or not many many many many people are totally oblivious while driving.

Try driving in and out of Boston every day for the past 20 years like I have. Then post again........

I got rear ended a couple of weeks ago in a rotary at 5pm in Boston. Gee did he think there might be traffic and should not follow too close to a big a$$ pickup truck????? SMACK !!!!!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I Thought they already had a Hands Free Law........I get reminded about it every time I go to Hooters :rolleyes:

Van
03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I Thought they already had a Hands Free Law........I get reminded about it every time I go to Hooters :rolleyes:

Hooters or the "Gentlemen's club" ????:bl: :bl: :beat: :beat:

MAC
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Who knows, I heard when you hit 10,000 posts your account vanishes and you can't log in anymore...:jump1:

UserRemoved1
03-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Bob I believe the law is for a FULL 2 sided headset which is illegal. A single side earpiece is legal in Mass. Cupped headsets, walkman earfones etc are illegal is my undertsanding so not to impede hearing emergency vehicles. But I digress....

Larry...

Headsets are the right way to go no question about it. It has been proven by many studies that headsets reduce the driver distraction factor that you get by doing things while you drive. Note I said reduce...it's does indeed make you pay more attention and you have both hands for the wheel. I drive every day and see all the boobs on their fones not paying attention and quite honestly just this morning I was driving west bound coming out of Boston at around 7 am and was noting to myself the amount of people who were driving east talking on a cell fone.

beamie
03-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Larry,

Your right, hands free nothing to do with it, just not paying attention.

That law shouldn't just be for cell phones though, many times I, I mean a friend of mine,...has a hard time controlling the vehicle when the whopper starts falling apart or when he is reaching for the fries. It is all the same thing, doing too many things at once.

Raven
03-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Who knows, I heard when you hit 10,000 posts your account vanishes and you can't log in anymore...:jump1:

there should be:
a. a 10,000 posts for bigfish party..... see...
b. we should all gamble as to when that will occur.
c. the guy that wins.... gets some goodies.

MAC
03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
True, hands free headsets are the way to go. It frees up your hand to drink your coffee and have a donut while checking the latest line in the sports section. This way when talking to the bookie you don't have to put anything down and can keep driving to work.

BigFish
03-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Again...the problem is not a hands issue...it is an issue with people paying attention.:hs:

MAC
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree, but where do ya draw the line. Will the next thing be no coffee while driving? No smoking while driving? No picking your nose while driving? No talking to a passanger while driving? Sometimes it seems like big brother is being too over protective. After all we do live in a democracy..:huh:

BigFish
03-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Point is when people talk on the phone....they zone out...get tunnel vision......it happens to everyone whether you choose to believe it or not. The guy I saw pull out in traffic today had a look on his face like "Hey, what the hell am I doing in the middle of this street....that car almost hit me!".......oh well....it doesn't really matter what I think anyway.....friggin politicians are gonna vote with whatever makes their stocks rise!:hs:

MAC
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Same thing happens to some people when they listen to the radio while driving.

Slipknot
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree, but where do ya draw the line. Will the next thing be no coffee while driving? No smoking while driving? No picking your nose while driving? No talking to a passanger while driving? Sometimes it seems like big brother is being too over protective. After all we do live in a democracy..:huh:

Mac, you can drive barefoot but it's already a law that you can't drive while eating

MAC
03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Mac, you can drive barefoot but it's already a law that you can't drive while eating

Actually no, unless they changed the laws. Your feet have to be covered.

Slipknot
03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Actually no, unless they changed the laws. Your feet have to be covered.

oh
don't mind me I'm stupid today
thank God it's friday

MAC
03-17-2006, 07:27 PM
don't mind me either, I'm just cranky tonite.

vineyardblues
03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
I hate to say this, but it was a law that they (I) pulled cars over for and that was drinking and driving, soda /water /coffee etc era 70's
Today people thing beer etc that would now called DUI
It still may be a law ?
VB

ps as for cell phones, sorry Larry , I hate when I see a teenager driving talking :eek:
VB

Pete_G
03-17-2006, 07:46 PM
If people just had some common sense as to when to use their phone and when NOT to use their phone we wouldn't even need laws like this.

Intense driving you don't use your phone. Trying to make a challenging left? Might be time to hang up. Back roads by yourself? No problem...

Slingah
03-17-2006, 07:56 PM
many times I, I mean a friend of mine,...has a hard time controlling the vehicle when the whopper starts falling apart or when he is reaching for the fries.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
eating a whopper is HARD to do when driving!!!!!:humpty: :laughs:

CAL
03-17-2006, 08:00 PM
You think that's hard? Try Taco Bell.

Slingah
03-17-2006, 08:08 PM
You think that's hard? Try Taco Bell.
I always eat taco bell in the lot...Im not stoopid

Raider Ronnie
03-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Talking on cell phones while driving is good for my business as well as Raider Rons...:uhoh: :btu:

:humpty:

spence
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Intense driving you don't use your phone. Trying to make a challenging left? Might be time to hang up. Back roads by yourself? No problem...
Pete, get a real job :hs: :D :hee:

-spence

Raider Ronnie
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
This is what happens when people are distracted from talking on their cell phones!!

mrmacey
03-18-2006, 03:00 AM
playing with your AM FM Radio has caused more rear end accidents than cell phones its no different talking on nextel two way than truckers talking on c bs I think they should get the drinking and driving under control before they add all these other laws its just my opinion another way to collect money for cities and towns same with the seat belt law yea it saves lives but when is enough is enough of being told what to do live free!!!

How about police, fireman, cabs, if its hands free it should be for everyone right eating is another issue,coffeee whats next think of all the new fines put in place over the last few years frig all these scam laws put a toll booth in each town and just take it from us Im sick to death of all these stupid rules.

I just drove through South Boston there are signs everywhere evacuation route if you cant figure out the bomb went off over there you better go the other way then somethings wrong what a waste of money most likely they would ticket your ass for not going the way they told you to go.

Logan airport tolls $3.00 for a regular car $4.50 for a commercial same car give me a break they figure well we can so why not.

Politians make me sick they sit up there on the hill with nothing better to do than figure ways to get more money from the public and then sneak the raises through the house for them selves.

Go to logan at 3 in the morning and see how many police cars are sitting details on the expressway orange cones everywhere blocking the road then 3 deep in police sheriff and municipal cop blocking it what cones and 1 cop car wont do the trick got to be pretty stupid to go through it or is it another way to scam the public into paying more cop overtime?

I could go on and on about these rules there putting in place is the ultimate reasoning saftey or is it a hidden agenda that the polititians put in place in safteys name. HMMMMM think about it!!!

How can they "the public argue" "we the polititians" will just say it will save lives its for your saftey they cant say anything but agree with us they will all happily open there wallets and pay the new fines okay now that thats settled lets all go have our review meeting at the Union Oyster house we can all have Lobster dinner and drinks the general public is paying LOL!!

MAC
03-18-2006, 05:53 AM
playing with your AM FM Radio has caused more rear end accidents than cell phones its no different talking on nextel two way than truckers talking on c bs I think they should get the drinking and driving under control before they add all these other laws its just my opinion another way to collect money for cities and towns same with the seat belt law yea it saves lives but when is enough is enough of being told what to do live free!!!

How about police, fireman, cabs, if its hands free it should be for everyone right eating is another issue,coffeee whats next think of all the new fines put in place over the last few years frig all these scam laws put a toll booth in each town and just take it from us Im sick to death of all these stupid rules.

I just drove through South Boston there are signs everywhere evacuation route if you cant figure out the bomb went off over there you better go the other way then somethings wrong what a waste of money most likely they would ticket your ass for not going the way they told you to go.

Logan airport tolls $3.00 for a regular car $4.50 for a commercial same car give me a break they figure well we can so why not.

Politians make me sick they sit up there on the hill with nothing better to do than figure ways to get more money from the public and then sneak the raises through the house for them selves.

Go to logan at 3 in the morning and see how many police cars are sitting details on the expressway orange cones everywhere blocking the road then 3 deep in police sheriff and municipal cop blocking it what cones and 1 cop car wont do the trick got to be pretty stupid to go through it or is it another way to scam the public into paying more cop overtime?

I could go on and on about these rules there putting in place is the ultimate reasoning saftey or is it a hidden agenda that the polititians put in place in safteys name. HMMMMM think about it!!!

How can they "the public argue" "we the polititians" will just say it will save lives its for your saftey they cant say anything but agree with us they will all happily open there wallets and pay the new fines okay now that thats settled lets all go have our review meeting at the Union Oyster house we can all have Lobster dinners the general public is paying LOL!!

BRAVO MR. MACEY:claps: :claps: coming from a man who makes living behind the wheel. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Pete_G
03-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Pete, get a real job :hs: :D :hee:

-spence

I almost went to a Blackberry with Bluetooth last year but I decided I didn't need to be THAT accessible.

basswipe
03-18-2006, 08:39 AM
What about the people scrounging for tokens while going 75 down the backside of the Newport bridge instead of just waiting till they get to the booth.I've seen some close ones at the curve nearing the bottom.

When these laws are thought up the #1 consideration is how much revenue can be generated.

Swimmer
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Chapter 90/13/a (8) says "while operating a motor vehicle, did wear headphones that were not being used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of such vehicle".....

The only reason a person can wear headphones while driving is to guide large oversize loads while driving the lead vehicle, the following vehicle, or the truck hauling the oversized load.

Headphone or headphones are one in the same they are illegal. Single or double. Larry is right in that the overriding singular responsibility of driving safely while operating a motor vehicle is driving safely has become secondary and now given way to given way to where can I get the best reception while I'm talking to my friend, boss, subordinate, or whatever. I get more calls from people who want to report some drunk all over the road in front of me. The drunk when stopped is actually a very sober person who just happens to be chatting with his friend, boss, or subordinate. What about the gals (or guys) who have their left shoulder scrunched up against the left side of the head, while talking on the cell phone, who is turning left, and eating a blueberry muffin. It wouldn't be so bad if people wouldn't forget their primary purpose while driving. We used to worry about drinking from an open container of alcohol, but talking on the phone, eating, and probably drinking a coffee all at the same time is much worse.

The only legitimate answer I see is voice activated cell phones. Headphones or earpieces just don't cut it. I have followed people trying to pull them over who have these articles in their ears with siren on who just dont hear anything else. Many people need this technology in their cars for work purposes, so you'd think that the voice activated phones would have taken off by now.

Swimmer
03-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Mr. Macey the only reason the politicians consider enacting these liberty infringing rules is because of the residents of Massachusetts call and complain about the erractic driving behavior of their fellow citizens to the legislators. I find it diifcult to believe that someone like yourself who is on the road as much as you are doesn't have encounters with some of these errant drivers.

seabass
03-18-2006, 03:00 PM
I just got a hands free unit :rolleyes: and now I don't have to put the paper down everytime the damn phone rings :rolleyes:

mrmacey
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
And it dont bother me I have paitents what bothers me is the drunks out there heres a solution to all our problems money and eratic behavoir.
0.0 tolerance $5000.00 fine for having alcohol on your breath I dont care if its a glass of wine with dinner you get pulled over and breathalized 0.1 you owe $5000.00 no ifs and or butts Loose your licence for 5 years that would stem a lot of problems we complain all the time people are getting killed everyday not because of cell phones but because there hammered you can go in a bar and have 2-3 beers and think its all right to drive home no its not!!! get real with the real problems out there go to a patriots game and see what pulls out that parking lot my god the cops just wave them by but get caught with a cell phone aginst your head or a headphone on one ear your going to get a fine Please wake up and attack the real problems of our society whats a matter politicians wouldnt be able to go to there favorite watering hole for a few after work no we cant do that now senator I might get in trouble driving home not one Guy that drinks is going to like this idea because 99.9% are giuilty of it even one beer after boating all day in a parking lot $5000.00 dollar fine Loss of licence 5 years.

My family,friends and yours are at risk everytime they get in a car with this Problem but God eat a cheeseburger and they want to Hang you!!!!!

Backbeach Jake
03-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Agreed. And you should see what staggers INTO the stadium. AFC championship game. I was talking to a Security guard as the players warmed up before a game. A guy so sloshed that he fell on his keester, took a swing at me. Instantly arrested and missed the game. I'm not a tea-totaler by far, but we gotta get priorities in order. If he hadn't been busted, who was driving? Gawd, the stuff that you must see, Mr.M!

macojoe
03-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I find the problem has nothing to do with talking on my part.
What the killer is when I am looking at the phone trying to make the call, I am all over like a drunk!
Once the dialing is done, I am fine.

Squid kids Dad
03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Macojoe,,,Thats why you need the hands off phone..You can just pre program your numbers in and then say the name you want to dial and it does it automatically...

macojoe
03-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I think I have that ??
But don't know how to use??
But don't you still have to hit a button to get in that mode??:gf: :gf:

Squid kids Dad
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I,m not sure..I dont have it on my phone..Have another one coming that has it on it,,,I will let you know...:btu:

macojoe
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok read the book, on the side of my phone I have a button, After I record the name in the phone, all I have to do is flip the phone open, push button, say name, and it will dial.
Still have a little to do but its better then trying to dial by memory and driving all over the road!!;)

Raider Ronnie
03-19-2006, 05:55 AM
How did people live 15 - 20 years ago without cell phones ???:huh:
Now you go to to eat, go to church, go to school ect......
and the phones are ringing !!!!
I can't imagine what it must be like to be a teacher trying to teach a class while his/ her 4th grade students are answering phone calls !!!
My daughter is in 4th grade and I have asked her if this goes on, and she says , yes !!!
I told her, she can't have a phone till she gets a part time job and can pay the bill !!

macojoe
03-19-2006, 07:17 AM
My son got a cell phone last year, when he turned 18, my daughter will get one in another 16 months when she turns 18.
They get them in there own name and learn to deal with the bills!

Both have been working since they were 15 years old, and I still would not do it for them.

As for me, I am just a phone junkie and I pay my bill so its ok for me :laughs:

Pete_G
03-19-2006, 09:16 AM

How can they "the public argue" "we the polititians" will just say it will save lives its for your saftey they cant say anything but agree with us they will all happily open there wallets and pay the new fines okay now that thats settled lets all go have our review meeting at the Union Oyster house we can all have Lobster dinner and drinks the general public is paying LOL!!

I'm against this law for the same reasons you are, BS revenue for towns and the state. Also I generally don't like the gov't telling me what to do so I'm mostly against laws such as no eating while driving and no cell phones while driving.

But at the same time, for many laws I like to apply the old "the gov't should protect me from others, not from myself". This is why a seatbelt law, to me, seems retarded. If I don't want to wear a seat belt during the MOST dangerous thing most of us do every day and put myself in further danger, so be it. Personally I always wear mine, but if somebody doesn't wear there's it's not going to hurt me.

The challenge in argueing against a cell phone law is that it is a known fact that using the phone while driving impairs your driving skills. Some people more, some less. Is the risk to me from a drunk versus an idiot distracted by their cellphone that different? And which is a more prevelant behavior? I'm dodging people with cell phones driving poorly on a VERY regular basis these days. The cause is different, the results are the same. A hazard to others on the road.

I'd vote no on a law like this, but I'd have to admit that I'd have trouble building an arguement against it other then claiming it was a revenue source.

mrmacey
03-19-2006, 10:43 AM
The girl putting on makeup while driving should be a $5000.00 fine too!! considered driving to endanger. impound there car right on the spot sell it at auction to pay the fine.

Put me as Govenor we would be the richest state in the country forget these nuisance fines go get them make them pay.

By the way we are all informed about Drunk Driving if you kill someone while drinking I wouldnt care if its 1 beer! Life in prison no exceptions First Degree MURDER!! you knew what you where you doing you knew what the outcome would be!! PRE Meditated First Degree Murder!! if you drive with alcohol on your breath.

Swimmer
03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Mr. Macey everyone obeys the laws they like and disobeys the laws they dont like or respect. Some people drink and drive, some dont. It kind of like following the person down the road thats doing exactly the posted speed, say 35 m.p.h., and needless to say you get a little agravated. The same person drives straight as a die, uses the blinker when necessary and then drives right through intersection where there is a stop sign and blinking red light. As far as people driving from Gillette three sheets to the wind, erractic operation has to be observed before a stop can be made. otherwise any attorney would get a dwi thrown out. Then their is always the judges to contend with. I once saw a person found guilty of 4th offense dwi by a jury and while the jury was still in the room reduced the charge to 1st offense and placed the person in the program. Cops take people to court all the time only to see charges dismissed and thrown out not because of a bad report or anything the officer did, but simply because the judges in Massachusetts are the best defense attorneys criminal dont have to hire. I agree fine everybody $5000.00, but find a judge willing to fine anyone first before you expect a judge to fine them at a higher level. I see attorneys look at prosecutors in court and when the prosecutor tells the attorney what he is offering the attorney for the defendant looks at the prosecutor and says arrogantly I'll get less than that from the judge and he does, because all attorneys are brothers. They make the rules and subvert the system as best they can for their clients, and then the defense attorneys have an award ceremony at the end of the year and always pick their favorite (see lenient) judge/s for the top prize(just as they did for the judge that reduced the sentence for the nanny who shook the kid to death 5 or 6 years ago. I understand just where your coming from as far as the little laws as opposed to the more serious laws, but it truly is all the same problem.

kevin d
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I think they need to enforce the laws already in place before coming up with new laws. RI used to give tickets for "Failure to maintain control of the vehicle". That law covers a whole bunch of stuff!Talking on your cell phone when you hit the house? Failure to maintain control. Reaching for a fry when you hit the guy in front of you? Failure to maintain control.
Enforce whats in place first!