Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Hands Free Laws!!!!

Ok......I am curious what you think about the "Hands Free" cell phone laws that many states are passing? This has been a thorn in my side for a few years now and everytime I hear it mentioned I get so PO'd!!!! So I am curious if you all think it will save lives or not? Now I am going to bless you with my opinion...... !

Now I think the problem with using a cell phone while operating a moving vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with the hands......I think it is more of a situation of when folks are using a phone....cell phone/home phone...whatever, they tend to zone out and their mind gets tunnel visioned! The problem is in the mind while talking on the phone, not that one hand is not on the wheel!!!! I would like to kick the person in the teeth that thinks otherwise! You ever talk on your cell while driving for about 10 minutes and then when you hang up you don't remember passing certain things/landmarks? Its because your mind was busy on the phone!!!!

Reason I bring this up is I was just coming home and had a guy pull out from a wide open side street with great visibility in both directions, with moving traffic coming at him from both directions, he is talking on one of the hands free headphone phones and he decides he is going to pull out in front of a car that has the right of way, is traveling at the posted 40 miles per hour and is only approx. 150 feet from him when he does so.........fortunately for him the oncoming vehicle was paying attention, slammed on his brakes and stopped inches shy of creaming this idiot!!!!! And the guy continues his conversation with a blank "I am on the phone" stare and backs up waving at the guy that almost hit him like it was no big deal........the guy almost killed him!

These hands free laws are not going to save even one life and I will argue to my death with anyone who believes they will!

People need to pull over when they need to talk on the phone...plain and simple!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

we'll miss you when you are gone Bigfish
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Larry, follow that guy to the supermarket and beat his a$$.

I know what you mean though, happens to me all the time, and they look at you like YOU did something wrong.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Am I going somewhere?

Old 03-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I still don't hear if you guys think "Hands Free" is the answer....convince me!

Old 03-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
spence

My cell phone with power cord and hands free cord wrapped around my stick shift and parking break have nearly killed myself and others more times than I care to imagine

I use a cell a lot while driving, but I think it's very dangerous even with the hands free kit.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Am I going somewhere?
So...Where u going????

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Crazy...wanna come?

Old 03-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Crazy...wanna come?
Sure, I like crazy...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 03-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Squid kids Dad

Talking on cell phones while driving is good for my business as well as Raider Rons...

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Only problem is there is a law making it illegal to wear headphones while driving. This is to prevent walkman use during driving but also applies to the hands free ear sets people are using. This state needs to re-think some old laws!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

These hands free laws are not going to save even one life and I will argue to my death with anyone who believes they will!

you said you'd argue to your death so I guess you are going 6 feet under

yep, you should pull over if you cannot carry on a conversation at the same time as driving.

me personally, I don't have any problem carrying on conversation while driving whether it is with someone in the car or on the phone. and there have been many times while in a car driving by myself not on a phone and my mind wanders and the next thing I know I took the wrong exit or whatever. it just happens.

Having said that I think cell phones do add to the cause of many accidents but so do other distractions like putting on makeup, reading a map,fiddling with the radio ...........etc,

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Raven

I agree

with Bigfish about the tunnel vision....or in an attempt to maintain good control you go on automatic pilot.

i had this kid pull out in front of me....while talking on his cell phone causing me to almost smash this other guys car....

so he books a right turn just to avoid confrontation....and i left rubber backing up to go get him and trapped him in a parking lot along with the other guy and blocked his exit....

then i run up and he's still talking on the phone....oblivious to my approach STILL.... so i yell at him WHAT THE F__K dude...
blood vesels about to pop.... as the other guy joins me...

hang up that phone ....i yelled. so then he's all upset (good)
and i told him he nearly caused two accidents....because your not paying attention... and he says...but it was my dad yelling at me while on the phone..and i couldnt concentrate ... now his eyes are all watery... and i explained that your phone takes messages....and your supposed to pull over.... i almost called his dad to give him a ration of shat too.

on the other hand...if you get lost , you (sometimes) need to be on it...(a cell phone) if someone is giving you directions to a hard to find spot. but making them hands free wont change a damned thing...people will still be tunnel vision driving or on automatic pilot in a trance.

also: anyone i see on a cell phone gets absolutely no courtesy
because they don't deserve it....and the cell phone drivers that speed and screw me up...have a death wish.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Van
zoom

It all makes sense and I see many times too. But I also talk while driving (i try to be real carful). Bottom line is whether they are talking on their phones or not many many many many people are totally oblivious while driving.

Try driving in and out of Boston every day for the past 20 years like I have. Then post again........

I got rear ended a couple of weeks ago in a rotary at 5pm in Boston. Gee did he think there might be traffic and should not follow too close to a big a$$ pickup truck????? SMACK !!!!!!

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I Thought they already had a Hands Free Law........I get reminded about it every time I go to Hooters

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #16
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman
I Thought they already had a Hands Free Law........I get reminded about it every time I go to Hooters
Hooters or the "Gentlemen's club" ????

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #17
MAC

Quote:
Am I going somewhere?
Who knows, I heard when you hit 10,000 posts your account vanishes and you can't log in anymore...
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Bob I believe the law is for a FULL 2 sided headset which is illegal. A single side earpiece is legal in Mass. Cupped headsets, walkman earfones etc are illegal is my undertsanding so not to impede hearing emergency vehicles. But I digress....

Larry...

Headsets are the right way to go no question about it. It has been proven by many studies that headsets reduce the driver distraction factor that you get by doing things while you drive. Note I said reduce...it's does indeed make you pay more attention and you have both hands for the wheel. I drive every day and see all the boobs on their fones not paying attention and quite honestly just this morning I was driving west bound coming out of Boston at around 7 am and was noting to myself the amount of people who were driving east talking on a cell fone.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #19
beamie

Larry,

Your right, hands free nothing to do with it, just not paying attention.

That law shouldn't just be for cell phones though, many times I, I mean a friend of mine,...has a hard time controlling the vehicle when the whopper starts falling apart or when he is reaching for the fries. It is all the same thing, doing too many things at once.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
Raven

i was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC
Who knows, I heard when you hit 10,000 posts your account vanishes and you can't log in anymore...
there should be:
a. a 10,000 posts for bigfish party..... see...
b. we should all gamble as to when that will occur.
c. the guy that wins.... gets some goodies.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
MAC

True, hands free headsets are the way to go. It frees up your hand to drink your coffee and have a donut while checking the latest line in the sports section. This way when talking to the bookie you don't have to put anything down and can keep driving to work.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #22
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Again...the problem is not a hands issue...it is an issue with people paying attention.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #23
MAC

I agree, but where do ya draw the line. Will the next thing be no coffee while driving? No smoking while driving? No picking your nose while driving? No talking to a passanger while driving? Sometimes it seems like big brother is being too over protective. After all we do live in a democracy..
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #24
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Point is when people talk on the phone....they zone out...get tunnel vision......it happens to everyone whether you choose to believe it or not. The guy I saw pull out in traffic today had a look on his face like "Hey, what the hell am I doing in the middle of this street....that car almost hit me!".......oh well....it doesn't really matter what I think anyway.....friggin politicians are gonna vote with whatever makes their stocks rise!

Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #25
MAC

Same thing happens to some people when they listen to the radio while driving.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC
I agree, but where do ya draw the line. Will the next thing be no coffee while driving? No smoking while driving? No picking your nose while driving? No talking to a passanger while driving? Sometimes it seems like big brother is being too over protective. After all we do live in a democracy..
Mac, you can drive barefoot but it's already a law that you can't drive while eating
Old 03-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
Mac, you can drive barefoot but it's already a law that you can't drive while eating
Actually no, unless they changed the laws. Your feet have to be covered.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC
Actually no, unless they changed the laws. Your feet have to be covered.

oh
don't mind me I'm stupid today
thank God it's friday
Old 03-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #29
MAC

don't mind me either, I'm just cranky tonite.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #30
vineyardblues

I hate to say this, but it was a law that they (I) pulled cars over for and that was drinking and driving, soda /water /coffee etc era 70's
Today people thing beer etc that would now called DUI
It still may be a law ?
VB

ps as for cell phones, sorry Larry , I hate when I see a teenager driving talking
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote